Is this Carson's audition to take Bland's job in the future?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
With Lamb now signed and perhaps Dak/Parsons on the horizon, you would think they cannot afford two high paid corners. Carson has a golden opportunity to show that he can handle the starting job opposite Diggs. If he performs well, I wonder if they could make Bland available. I understand you never have enough corners, but Bland's value is at it's peak. Believe a pro bowl corner with elite ball skills, will garner a 1st rd pick. Of coarse, if Carson struggles this is all a mute point.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
With Lamb now signed and perhaps Dak/Parsons on the horizon, you would think they cannot afford two high paid corners. Carson has a golden opportunity to show that he can handle the starting job opposite Diggs. If he performs well, I wonder if they could make Bland available. I understand you never have enough corners, but Bland's value is at it's peak. Believe a pro bowl corner with elite ball skills, will garner a 1st rd pick. Of coarse, if Carson struggles this is all a mute point.
Way too early to tell really. They have two years of very low cost on Bland. Plus this FO isnt the type to cash in on that value on the trade. If they cant afford both and prefer keeping Diggs, they will just let Bland walk

GoldenR

Reaction score
Did you watch our DB's against Packers last year?! Everyone should be replaced, our safeties are not good either but will be right back out there out of position for easy scores
,comical.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Way too early to tell really. They have two years of very low cost on Bland. Plus this FO isnt the type to cash in on that value on the trade. If they cant afford both and prefer keeping Diggs, they will just let Bland walk
Bland is expected to miss 6-8 weeks, that is a good sample size to see if he can handle the starting position. You are right, this team usually plays out their contracts and doesn't trade before it's up. Doesn't mean that is a smart football decision.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Yeah it makes a ton of sense, the odds the cowboys will be able to afford both bland and diggs in a couple years isn’t realistic if they don’t lose another major player during that time. One thing to keep in mind though is that the cowboys could get out of the diggs contract after this season with minimal penalty as well. If he doesn’t look to be 100% after the injury he could be a trade candidate or even cut which doesn’t seem as realistic.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Bland is expected to miss 6-8 weeks, that is a good sample size to see if he can handle the starting position. You are right, this team usually plays out their contracts and doesn't trade before it's up. Doesn't mean that is a smart football decision.
How much guaranteed will be left on Diggs deal when any Bland 2nd contract kicks in? Bland could wind up being the one they choose to keep

baltcowboy

Reaction score
With Lamb now signed and perhaps Dak/Parsons on the horizon, you would think they cannot afford two high paid corners. Carson has a golden opportunity to show that he can handle the starting job opposite Diggs. If he performs well, I wonder if they could make Bland available. I understand you never have enough corners, but Bland's value is at it's peak. Believe a pro bowl corner with elite ball skills, will garner a 1st rd pick. Of coarse, if Carson struggles this is all a moot point.
Yeah, Bland appears to be set up as the player the Cowboys can trade and actually get draft value. Let’s see what happens with Diggs and this ACL situation first. I don’t remember too many corners coming back from season ending injuries like that.

kskboys

Reaction score
That's exactly what they've done in the past.

I'll never forget that we turned down a 2nd(might have been more) for Mike Jenkins after we signed Carr and drafted Mo.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Did you watch our DB's against Packers last year?! Everyone should be replaced, our safeties are not good either but will be right back out there out of position for easy scores
,comical.
The Cowboys scheme got exposed. That was more on the coaches. Love said as much on Parsons podcast. The Packers plan was to run the football at our small front seven then throw the football off of it.

blueblood70

Reaction score
no because you can't look at Jlew as long term hes close to Retirment age, and Diggs deal will be easier to redo later, its not big , id say stop overthinking. We haven't seen Carson play RS game yet,,.,

let's see what happens and STOP worrying about next year or the year after but that is what the TAG is all about. always options... heck bland didn't have great camp from the little i saw and looked still in shock from the bad GB game now injured much come in and PROVE hes still more than just feast or famine player..Diggs made himself better cover guy jumped less routes took less risks..that's an NFL corner Bland frankly hasnt earned new deal YET..stop looking at the bling its the glare that blinds you.. I need to see more from bland befree big decisions are made.

kskboys

Reaction score
The Cowboys scheme got exposed. That was more on the coaches. Love said as much on Parsons podcast. The Packers plan was to run the football at our small front seven then throw the football off of it.
Both. Bad scheme, bad coverage. Bland has been getting beat for a while now. He's not great at coverage.

blueblood70

Reaction score
How much guaranteed will be left on Diggs deal when any Bland 2nd contract kicks in? Bland could wind up being the one they choose to keep
right or he resigns for less and then you can keep both.. as players get older they're not a quarterback they usually take less not more on future deals.. this is not the same thing as Prescott's possible record-breaking deal on his third contract. that tough to figure out and not been done often if not AT ALL

but this conversation IS WAY TOO SOON.

exciter

Reaction score
My point is, his value is at the highest right now and could net the team a high draft pick.
Which would almost certainly be earmarked for a corner which would have a 50% bust rate. Taking a step back to attempt to take a step forward isn’t a logical way to run a football team.
Two seasons from now I’d prefer trading Diggs and the last 2 massive cap hit years on his contract and resign Bland to something more manageable!

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
If he plays well, there is a world where they trade Bland after this season - assuming Bland plays well too - because they're going to have to give Bland a big extension after this season.

I wouldn't call it an audition, but it might come into consideration. Bland will make close to $20m, I can see the Jones not wanting to pay that to two corners.