Is this Carson's audition to take Bland's job in the future?

quickccc

Reaction score
Cowboys don’t trade players. Might it be the worst idea knowing what we think the salary cap may be but yeah I don’t see it.

Also who knows what Diggs looks like two years from now.
'Cowboys don't trade players "...?

Then what do you call with Amari Cooper ?
A poker card game loss..? :huh:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Let me clarify. They don’t trade players on their rookie deals. Amari I believe was more so about salary dumping.

Like some teams foreshadow and look ahead and know when they can’t afford someone or don’t want to pay someone. They knew Armstrong and Biadiz wouldn’t be here and just let them walk for a future comp pick. They seem to be content with that.

Cowboys just don’t do it.

blueblood70

Reaction score

yeah, they haven't had a marquee trade in bit.... BUT

traded Hendershot , KJ, and Scott, ward a few years back we got burned on that, they trade players... people can still be butthurt on the AC trade but you do realize his money was the reason they only got 5 that happens Hopkins was outright released, couldn't even get 7th? lots of situations like Amaris happen and teams take low draft pick to move them and not get anything. that linebacker Jones from rams just got traded for practically nothing, he was one of the top LBers last year and all they got was a 5TH! irony..

blueblood70

Reaction score
Let me clarify. They don’t trade players on their rookie deals. Amari I believe was more so about salary dumping.

Like some teams foreshadow and look ahead and know when they can’t afford someone or don’t want to pay someone. They knew Armstrong and Biadiz wouldn’t be here and just let them walk for a future comp pick. They seem to be content with that.

Dont use words like never or dont be even MORE CLEAR.. LOL

traded Hendershot , KJ, and Scott, Ward a few years back we got burned on that, they trade players... people can still be butthurt on the AC trade but you do realize his money was the reason they only got 5 that happens Hopkins was outright released, couldn't even get 7th? lots of situations like Amaris happen and teams take low draft pick to move them and not get anything. that linebacker Jones from rams just got traded for practically nothing, he was one of the top LBers last year and all they got was a 5TH! irony..

they don't probably get rid of marque players that MIGHT still have value before maybe they should...that's a bit narrower of a statement.

Havic

Reaction score
I’d trade bland next year if Diggs is back to all pro form and we could get a 1 and 2/3 for him

blueblood70

Reaction score
Which would almost certainly be earmarked for a corner which would have a 50% bust rate. Taking a step back to attempt to take a step forward isn’t a logical way to run a football team.
Two seasons from now I’d prefer trading Diggs and the last 2 massive cap hit years on his contract and resign Bland to something more manageable!
first of all you're not GM but a better idea , ld be to have diggs redo his contract make it team friendly like Tanks and sign BLAND,

IF bland remains good. You all don't realize he hasnt earned that LTD yet, not only injured had terrible playoff game and hasn't looked good in camp from what ive seen, those backup WRs were toasting him in many shots i watched,

this is a WAYYYY too soon post Jeez

kskboys

Reaction score
first of all you're not GM but a better idea , ld be to have diggs redo his contract make it team friendly like Tanks and sign BLAND,

IF bland remains good. You all don't realize he hasnt earned that LTD yet, not only injured had terrible playoff game and hasn't looked good in camp from what ive seen, those backup WRs were toasting him in many shots i watched,

this is a WAYYYY too soon post Jeez
Why are you talking about this after proclaiming we shouldn't?

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Bland’s injury actually works in our favor in terms of his contract. He was a prime candidate to hold out next summer if he had a big year. He still might, but it’s less likely.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Both. Bad scheme, bad coverage. Bland has been getting beat for a while now. He's not great at coverage.
It’s hard to cover when a team is running for 5 yards a pop on every play. Bland covers well enough. Gillmore, Lewis, and the safeties where the ones getting toasted.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
How much guaranteed will be left on Diggs deal when any Bland 2nd contract kicks in? Bland could wind up being the one they choose to keep
It's a fair point. Just saying Bland's current contract and the year he just came off of, his value is at it's peak.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yeah, Bland appears to be set up as the player the Cowboys can trade and actually get draft value. Let’s see what happens with Diggs and this ACL situation first. I don’t remember too many corners coming back from season ending injuries like that.
They will have a half of season look at both players, if Diggs or Carson struggles it's a mute point, but if they both play well, trading Bland for a future pick makes a ton of sense.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
no because you can't look at Jlew as long term hes close to Retirment age, and Diggs deal will be easier to redo later, its not big , id say stop overthinking. We haven't seen Carson play RS game yet,,.,

let's see what happens and STOP worrying about next year or the year after but that is what the TAG is all about. always options... heck bland didn't have great camp from the little i saw and looked still in shock from the bad GB game now injured much come in and PROVE hes still more than just feast or famine player..Diggs made himself better cover guy jumped less routes took less risks..that's an NFL corner Bland frankly hasnt earned new deal YET..stop looking at the bling its the glare that blinds you.. I need to see more from bland befree big decisions are made.
It's outside of the box thinking as we are going to see how both Carson and Diggs performs for half a season before Bland returns from injury. If they both play well, then this idea is worth exploring.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
They will have a half of season look at both players, if Diggs or Carson struggles it's a mute point, but if they both play well, trading Bland for a future pick makes a ton of sense.
Not really a moot point. They may draft a corner in the next draft high. They easily could have drafted the number 1 cornerback this draft. The Alabama kid fell to them. Carson is slow. His 40 time was really slow and he is not a great athlete. Tough kid but limited.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
right or he resigns for less and then you can keep both.. as players get older they're not a quarterback they usually take less not more on future deals.. this is not the same thing as Prescott's possible record-breaking deal on his third contract. that tough to figure out and not been done often if not AT ALL

but this conversation IS WAY TOO SOON.
I disagree, you trade players when their value is at it's highest. Say both Diggs/Carson play well and a team offers a 2025 1st rd pick for Bland, that would be foolish to not consider.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

I agree they don't trade their players on controllable rookie contracts, but that doesn't mean it is a smart football decision. Say they move on from Dak and they wanted extra ammo to trade up, trading a player at a deep position makes sense. We know they don't do forward thinking, but a good personnel guy would.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I agree they don't trade their players on controllable rookie contracts, but that doesn't mean it is a smart football decision. Say they move on from Dak and they wanted extra ammo to trade up, trading a player at a deep position makes sense. We know they don't do forward thinking, but a good personnel guy would.
I’m like 50/50 on it. If think I have a winner I would rather take my shot at winning a ring. But I agree the smart thing to do is get ahead of it but they won’t. Unless they change their ways. But they like their guys. They have to know right now that they can’t afford both Bland and Diggs…unless they want to hold out and seee what Diggs is after injury but it’s not a move they needs to be made today. Maybe next offseason.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Diggs is the one I’d look to move. Dump the salary and he would bring back a premium pick. Put that in the ‘it will never happen’ file.

Maybe rightfully so, as the Bland injury changed some things. There’s no guarantee we ever see the same player again, or at least not for some time. Also it’s possible the scheme was what made him seem a bit better than he was. Other teams aren’t not aware of this.

It’s also dependent on Carson looking the same against first team players as he did with dudes who are back with mom and pop as we speak.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score

I mean, they just traded Hendershot. Productive players on rookie deals rarely get traded at all.

I get your point, but Bland is unique in that he could hold out as the #2 corner with a year left on his deal (like CD just did) and is going to bring a lot more in a trade than guys like Biadasz or Armstrong.