Is this play illegal?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Since Philly is turning it back into rugby….why not use Hankins and Mazi to lead a scrum…?
OK. Picture this: Mazi lines up in the shotgun, flanked by Hankins and Isaac Alarcon (because we've just got to find a role for this future Hall-of-Famer). Before the snap, Quinton Bohanna motions across the offense for a fake jet sweep. I forgot to mention that there are no offensive linemen in the formation other than Vaughn at center (ala Zeke). All of the offensive linemen are lined up to the left side in receiver positions, and Bohanna motions to that side to make it extra heavy. Vaughn fake-snaps it to himself and then climbs on Alarcon's shoulders and they run behind Mazi and Hankins, who also pull to the left side. However, it's a run-fake and Vaughn passes to a wide-open Zack Martin for a TD.

Is this play illegal? If not, I don't know how you stop it.

garyo1954

Reaction score
Then they could call a flag when they are pushing the pile and the O-Linemen are dragging and picking up the RB and carrying him for extra yards. Lol.
That's a good point! While I was looking for the rule, I found an article that says....

"The NFL once banned the assisting of a ball carrier via pushing, pulling or carrying, but in 2005 the league lifted the ban for pushing. For some reason it really didn’t catch on — the pushing of the ball carrier by his own teammates — until this season."

"The late 1800s and early 1900s marked an era when football was so dangerous because of such plays that President Roosevelt intervened. According to The Washington Post at least 45 players were killed between 1900 and 1905. Newspapers called the 1905 season a “death harvest.” Players didn’t wear helmets or protective padding, and the only way to stop the wedge was to dive into the mass of bodies. According to historical records, 22 players were killed in one year by the flying wedge."

"There were calls to abolish football and some schools did drop the sport. Others switched to rugby, apparently deeming it safer. Roosevelt famously convened college coaches in Washington and ordered changes. Among other things, the flying wedge was banned by requiring six men on the line of scrimmage at the start of a play (now seven); the forward pass was legalized to spread the field (albeit while mandating a 15-yard penalty for an incompletion); a neutral zone was created between the offense and defense; and first downs were moved from five yards to 10.

"Now, 120 years later, the NFL has taken a step backward by lifting a rule that made it illegal for the offense to push a ball carrier from behind."

BigCowboysHomer

Reaction score
tenor.gif[\img]

garyo1954

Reaction score
OK. Picture this: Mazi lines up in the shotgun, flanked by Hankins and Isaac Alarcon (because we've just got to find a role for this future Hall-of-Famer). Before the snap, Quinton Bohanna motions across the offense for a fake jet sweep. I forgot to mention that there are no offensive linemen in the formation other than Vaughn at center (ala Zeke). All of the offensive linemen are lined up to the left side in receiver positions, and Bohanna motions to that side to make it extra heavy. Vaughn fake-snaps it to himself and then climbs on Alarcon's shoulders and they run behind Mazi and Hankins, who also pull to the left side. However, it's a run-fake and Vaughn passes to a wide-open Zack Martin for a TD.

Vaughn is snapping the ball to Vaughn?
Vaughn fake-snaps?
Vaughn climbs on Alarcon's shoulders?
Vaughn passes?
If I was the other coach and saw a 5'5" guy line up as a center with no QB in the formation, I'd put all my guys over him and dare him to look cross-eyed at that ball!
Then I'd laugh.

JBS

Reaction score
I think the OP is on on to something here
This play is virtually unstoppable

I would only make one tweak. I’d flip the roles of Mazi and Deuce. Snap it to Mazi and have Deuce toss Mazi

ghst187

Reaction score

Equally as gross to watch as the play Philly runs….

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
Perfectly legal as long as no balls get deflated or inflated.

Jimbo123

Reaction score
Picture this....It's 3rd and 2 or 4th and 1. We have a Jumbo package in: 6 Offensive Linemen, 3 Tight Ends, Deuce Vaughn at QB, Mazi Smith at RB. Deuce is in a short shotgun with Mazi standing directly to his right. The defense has 10 guys jammed at the line of scrimmage and 1 floater to make sure nothing crazy happens on the outside. But something crazy does happen.....The ball is snapped to Deuce Vaughn who immediately takes 1 step toward the line of scrimmage as the defensive players start their push. Mazi Smith than picks up the 165 pound QB and shot puts him over the line of scrimmage for a 5 yard toss and a first down. The landing may be a bit hard, but I'm sure that they can work on that part during training camp.
:facepalm:

glimmerman

Reaction score
That's a good point! While I was looking for the rule, I found an article that says....

"The NFL once banned the assisting of a ball carrier via pushing, pulling or carrying, but in 2005 the league lifted the ban for pushing. For some reason it really didn’t catch on — the pushing of the ball carrier by his own teammates — until this season."

"The late 1800s and early 1900s marked an era when football was so dangerous because of such plays that President Roosevelt intervened. According to The Washington Post at least 45 players were killed between 1900 and 1905. Newspapers called the 1905 season a “death harvest.” Players didn’t wear helmets or protective padding, and the only way to stop the wedge was to dive into the mass of bodies. According to historical records, 22 players were killed in one year by the flying wedge."

"There were calls to abolish football and some schools did drop the sport. Others switched to rugby, apparently deeming it safer. Roosevelt famously convened college coaches in Washington and ordered changes. Among other things, the flying wedge was banned by requiring six men on the line of scrimmage at the start of a play (now seven); the forward pass was legalized to spread the field (albeit while mandating a 15-yard penalty for an incompletion); a neutral zone was created between the offense and defense; and first downs were moved from five yards to 10.

"Now, 120 years later, the NFL has taken a step backward by lifting a rule that made it illegal for the offense to push a ball carrier from behind."
The flying wedge. Nice.

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
Picture this....It's 3rd and 2 or 4th and 1. We have a Jumbo package in: 6 Offensive Linemen, 3 Tight Ends, Deuce Vaughn at QB, Mazi Smith at RB. Deuce is in a short shotgun with Mazi standing directly to his right. The defense has 10 guys jammed at the line of scrimmage and 1 floater to make sure nothing crazy happens on the outside. But something crazy does happen.....The ball is snapped to Deuce Vaughn who immediately takes 1 step toward the line of scrimmage as the defensive players start their push. Mazi Smith than picks up the 165 pound QB and shot puts him over the line of scrimmage for a 5 yard toss and a first down. The landing may be a bit hard, but I'm sure that they can work on that part during training camp.
I like the creativity.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
What if, in mid air, Duece tosses the ball backwards back to Mazi, who's playing as QB, and then Mazi, in full flea-flicker mode mind you, throws the ball over every dumbfounded defender's head, most of whom are still watching Duece flying through the air (because he's waiving his arms like a chicken to distract everyone), right into the outstretched hands of Zack Martin, who's flexed out on the end of the line as an eligible receiver?

How would any team defend that?

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
I'd like to see a play where some of the O linemen pick up Dak and use him as a battering ram (head first) to open a whole in the d-line for Deuce.

McMicah

Reaction score
As long as Deuce points his toes while somersaulting in the air and then sticks the landing with no extra steps. Give him a 10.

Oh, ...... and FIRST DOWN.. But may as well just have Deuce piggy back on Mazi's back for the yardage needed.
That play would be called Master Blaster (hat tip Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome)

Toro9

Reaction score
Sorry that you are getting dog piled for simply asking this question.
It's an outside-the-box hypothetical. Gonna be some people who don't get it. And it's not even about getting it. It's about respecting hypotheticals. Why not? We only live once.

garyo1954

Reaction score
Kellen Moore and Zeke Elliott could give some insight since they were involved with a play somewhat similar.
Call Kellen in San Diego, or look for Zeke in the unemployment line and ask.
Zeke should update his resume to reflect experience at Center too.

Swanny

Reaction score
I mean the NFL is in the entertainment business and boy would that be entertaining!