Is Trysten Hill still salvageable?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah he's done. Happens all the time in the NFL - new coaching staff comes in and they bring in their own preferred players via draft and free agency. The new staff doesn't care that he was a 2nd round pick, they aren't forced to try to salvage him because he wasn't one of their picks.

It also goes the other way with some players.

Some players that underachieve with the previous coaching staff are better with a new coaching staff.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Where do you get crybaby from? That was Taco sulking about his playing time and being inactive.

there are multiple
Reports that Hill has maturity issues and sulks when things don’t go his way. Just like Taco.

I don’t dislike Hill. He has the ability to be a good DT in the league. He is just very young and needs to grow up a bit. I believe he is still only 21.

there is competition for his spot though. So he needs to grow up quickly and get to work if he is going to make it.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Problem with Cowboys Coaching
  • The Cowboys drafted him to play 3tech DT.
  • He practiced at 3tech in training camp and all off-season.
  • He played at 3tech in the preseason games.
  • Marinelli put him at 1tech when he played regular season games.
  • Switching position during the season is a problem for most rookies.
  • Switching positions for a rookie that was already known at draft time to need more time than average to adjust to the NFL was just dumb.

Review of Hill
  • Marinelli said during the season that Hill had the willingness to do it and a high motor but just wasn't "getting it".
  • Hill's 2nd D-Coordinator in college gave a glowing report on him in an interview after the draft in terms of motor, etc.
  • There were 2 issues with Hill in college.
    • 1. He was slow to adapt to change. The new staff wanted him to rusher the passer as a 3tech DT. The previous staff played him as a 3-4 NT.
    • 2. He got angry when the new coaching staff would not let him transfer. He loved the original coaching staff. That got him in the new Head Coach's doghouse.
  • Hill was ok physically when he did play.
  • Part of the issue was that the Cowboys defense was already out of sorts with Kris Richard trying to make changes without actually being the D-Coordinator.
    • The biggest weakness for the Cowboys defense was defending the run vs zone running teams.
    • Hill's biggest problem in the preseason was playing against zone running teams.
Very well said. Perfect response!!!!!!!!

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
This is a Cowboys message board. We discuss players and speculate on the unknown.
Yes, anything that Hill contributes is a bonus at this point.
Physically, Hill does have high upside. He has a "high motor". He is not a Taco type that lacks hustle on the field.
Hill just has to learn how to play in the NFL. If he has success in 2020, it will be another indication that Marinelli was not getting it done as a coach.

Yes, we discuss players and [some] choose to speculate. I don't need to speculate on Hill. I do not need to speculate on why he did not perform last year. All of that is meaningless right now. He did squat last year and has no excuse this year. I provided a big picture analysis of Hill. I stepped back from the trees and looked at the forest. You chose to analyze by digging into the weeds. That is fine. To each, their own. I read your excuses (or someone else's) going back to college for him and they went in one ear and out the other because none of that matters at this juncture. Hill excuses are nothing but blah, blah, blah … to me.

Advice to Hill: Show up on time, in shape, don't fall asleep in meetings, do everything the coaches tell you, shut your mouth, give max effort at all times and you might make the team. Don't and you will be cut.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
If so how would our DLine look
depends on him.....I think he gets one more year unless he truly gets lazy in the preseason and does absolutely nothing and shows he is not coachable...in the NFL you have to be self motivated or utterly talented out of this world to get a lot of chances (ala Gregory). otherwise teams move on quickly and figure out how to use what they have or draft your replacement....right now he is 5th on the depth chart.....

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes.

Problem with Cowboys Coaching
  • The Cowboys drafted him to play 3tech DT.
  • He practiced at 3tech in training camp and all off-season.
  • He played at 3tech in the preseason games.
  • Marinelli put him at 1tech when he played regular season games.
  • Switching position during the season is a problem for most rookies.
  • Switching positions for a rookie that was already known at draft time to need more time than average to adjust to the NFL was just dumb.

Review of Hill
  • Marinelli said during the season that Hill had the willingness to do it and a high motor but just wasn't "getting it".
  • Hill's 2nd D-Coordinator in college gave a glowing report on him in an interview after the draft in terms of motor, etc.
  • There were 2 issues with Hill in college.
    • 1. He was slow to adapt to change. The new staff wanted him to rusher the passer as a 3tech DT. The previous staff played him as a 3-4 NT.
    • 2. He got angry when the new coaching staff would not let him transfer. He loved the original coaching staff. That got him in the new Head Coach's doghouse.
  • Hill was ok physically when he did play.
  • Part of the issue was that the Cowboys defense was already out of sorts with Kris Richard trying to make changes without actually being the D-Coordinator.
    • The biggest weakness for the Cowboys defense was defending the run vs zone running teams.
    • Hill's biggest problem in the preseason was playing against zone running teams.

Too bad many still will not pay attention to this, and carry on as usual. :laugh:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, we discuss players and [some] choose to speculate. I don't need to speculate on Hill. I do not need to speculate on why he did not perform last year. All of that is meaningless right now. He did squat last year and has no excuse this year. I provided a big picture analysis of Hill. I stepped back from the trees and looked at the forest. You chose to analyze by digging into the weeds. That is fine. To each, their own. I read your excuses (or someone else's) going back to college for him and they went in one ear and out the other because none of that matters at this juncture. Hill excuses are nothing but blah, blah, blah … to me.

Advice to Hill: Show up on time, in shape, don't fall asleep in meetings, do everything the coaches tell you, shut your mouth, give max effort at all times and you might make the team. Don't and you will be cut.

Sometimes one needs to venture into the forest to see what is actually there, instead of speculating. :muttley:

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
As a fan I am hoping that he can, hoping that a poor rookie season that included multiple healthy scratches will be enough of a kick in the butt to get him to reset his focus. I'm definitely disappointed in his production but I will never be too quick to throw away a player that could possibly help the team. A good training camp will go a long way in endearing himself to both fan and staff.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As a fan I am hoping that he can, hoping that a poor rookie season that included multiple healthy scratches will be enough of a kick in the butt to get him to reset his focus. I'm definitely disappointed in his production but I will never be too quick to throw away a player that could possibly help the team. A good training camp will go a long way in endearing himself to both fan and staff.

Same here, as I am just in a wait and see mode. Was it Marinelli and Richard and their differences and schemes. Was it Hill and lack of motivation in himself, or because of Rod. Rookie year and his own immaturity. I will see what this new staff and scheme and a year older will bring.

Usually I cite the 3 year rule, as at times it holds true, other times maybe not. But I do expect to see some improvement and some production even if a 4th DT.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I don't think you 'gotta give' him anything. Certainly not 'three years', based off of how bad he was in year one.

The onus to turn this around is on him, not anyone else.

This regime didn't draft him, Rod Marinelli did. Nobody here is stuck waiting for Trysten Hill to 'get it'. They're moving forward, he can either get with the program or he can get out and be replaced by somebody who does give a **** about playing football.

Here is the thing.. He was bad last year but this forum has kind of gone extreme with it and we’re already writing him off.

He didn’t look like he didn’t belong in the NFL by any means.

He’s on a contract and we just need to hope he matures and we see a little progress next year.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
there are multiple
Reports that Hill has maturity issues and sulks when things don’t go his way. Just like Taco.

I don’t dislike Hill. He has the ability to be a good DT in the league. He is just very young and needs to grow up a bit. I believe he is still only 21.

there is competition for his spot though. So he needs to grow up quickly and get to work if he is going to make it.

This is where I’m at too.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The best we can hope for with Hill is that he can become at least serviceable and be part of our rotation but even that looks like a long shot after such a disappointing rookie year. He only suited up four times last season and that was because Crawford got injured. He was so bad it’s hard to have any expectations for him. He’s going to have his work cut out for him just to make the team. Only a year removed from being a second round draft pick you can bet the Cowboys will give him every chance. Would be a difficult move for the team to move on from him after just one season but he’s going to have to show at least some improvement to make the team.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yes of course.

You gotta give him the 3 year rule at least.

He was a 2nd round pick that we reached for as well and should’ve been a 3rd.

Only to an extent, if he shows no more than he did last season then I don't think he makes the team. The so called 3 year rule is not a given, a player has to show development and bring a positive attitude if not then there is no sense keeping him around. Having said that I do hope he gets his head on straight and shows he is ready for the challenge

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
He obviously did not respond to the previous coaching staff (which in itself is a concern). Here's hoping the current staff can light a fire.

vnick

Reaction score
I hope he figures it out. He seems to have the physical tools to succeed in this league, but may not have the mental make-up to do so. It's possible our change in coaching staff will help him, but it also could tip it the other way and be an additional struggle for him. However, it appears his best college tape is as a 3-4 NT, so if we are going to run multiple fronts, maybe he will find a role in that area.

I hope he finds it because the more talent the teams has the better.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
His biggest problem was strength. He’s got to be able to stay on his feet. He does have that really quick first step.

This should be a big offseason for him. If he’s worked hard, he needs to first make the active roster. My guess is we look at trading him to Las Vegas at cutdowns for an equivalent bag of beans from their roster like we did a few years back.

817Gill

Reaction score
Absolutely. I expect him and Neville to be really good rotational players behind McCoy and Poe. Having two vets pushing them/leading them will help make them the players we need them to be.

Speculation: too bad Woods looks to be out. He deleted his Twitter account and I haven't heard anything about him :(
If he doesn’t sign his tender he can’t play in the NFL this season. Doubt he decides to sit out lol

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
He can be salvageable. He has the right teammates and coaches to correct whatever was wrong last year. No execuse, sink or swim.