Is Trysten Hill still salvageable?

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
For him to get snaps it's going to have to come at 1T behind Poe, since they signed McCoy and drafted Neville.
Woods to this point has not been retained, and that leaves a hole at backup 1T.
I'm not sure he has the skillset to eat up double teams, though.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Trysten Hill can certainly be a very good player for us. It's not his fault the Cowboys took him a couple rounds too early last year. He's a big, athletic kid with tremendous first step quickness.

Now, he needs to mature a bit and apply himself, maybe get his weight down a little, and improve his hand usage. Maybe Jim Tomsula can push the right buttons with Hill.

SSoup

Reaction score
The physical talent is there.

Did he spend his offseason adding strength and working on his quickness and agility, working on his hands? Is he gonna show up ready to be a monster physically, ready to fight hard and have a great motor on every snap, and ready to absorb and utilize all the technique stuff the new coaches throw at him to try and help him to make good on his potential? If he does all that, there are some guys who will have a hard time beating him out for a roster spot.

I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if he's a great rotational piece this year, who inspires people to start talking about liking his potential as a starter again.

And I also wouldn't be surprised if he quietly washes out.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Hill just turned 22.
He's younger than the DT we just drafted.

He's a victim of being our top pick in a draft where we didn't select until late 2nd round.
For guys 300+ it takes time to get that grown man strength.
People wanna bash him as immature but he was literally 3-4 years younger than ANY DTs we played.

The only Cowboy listed on the roster under 22 is CeeDee Lamb.
Not about strength its about mentality. Hes a lil teddy bear.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I think he is lazy and immature. Doubt he is the type to work hard at all.

Best case scenario is Jerry selling him to a team that liked him as 3rd/4th round guy last year by saying he doesnt fit what the new coaches want.

Maybe they can get a 5th, more like a 6th.

If they let him run through camp theres a good chance he just get released. If you look around, theres probably a numbers problem on the DL.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Try to let the whole "what if" thing go with him and Charlton.

IF Thornhill and Watt were here I think theres a very good chance the last staff still is as well, with not much more than another playoff choke to show for it.

I'd personally rather have status quo than that scenario.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm pretty sure the replies indicate we don't know. A lot of cliche responses....and that's all we got really. With as much PT as he's had I barely even know what he looks like let alone if he can excel and salvage.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Crawford should volunteer to cut his pay in half.

Otherwise, he's just a blight to the franchise! :rolleyes:

He can't pass rush; all he can do is play the run.

To do that, he simply needs to regain his weight.

I agree crawford needs to take a pay cut.

that being said. Trysten Hill is nowhere close to as good as he is right now. And that’s the ultimate point.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I’m cutting bait with him at final cuts if he doesn’t come in this year working hard with the right attitude. I don’t think he is ever going to be good enough to worry about but he would get this entire offseason to turn it around. I guess I’m just in the mood to get rid of as many holdovers from the Garrett era as possible. Obviously I’m not talking about our top guys but I see no need to waste a roster spot on a holdover with a bad attitude and no production.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If so how would our DLine look
Salvagable is still up in the air, but this will be a key year for him. As for how it would make the D-Line look, that depends on whether "salvageable" takes the form of a solid rotational/depth guy, or starting potential. My personal guess is the former is more likely than the latter.

conner01

Reaction score
Maybe?

he is going to need to buckle his chin strap and get to work though.

no more crybaby immaturity.

no more candlelit dinners with Marinelli either.
I agree
It’s all up to him
He has the talent to play in this league
He’s got to grow up and grow a pair

slick325

Reaction score
I think so and I also believe he will benefit from Marinelli's departure. I remember reading that sometimes players would get in his doghouse and the grizzled old guy wouldn't ever let them back out. It was said that is what occurred with Taco and Trysten Hill.

New lease on life for last year's 2nd rounder. I believe...

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
if it was you, would you volunteer to cut your pay in half?

Actually, I was hoping for Jerry to encourage it. I surely would if Jerry told me to think about it or be prepared to depart. Obviously, I used the word "volunteer" with tongue in cheek. I'm surprised it took this long for someone to jump on it. ;)

Last edited: