Is/was there any good, practical reason for Witten to return to football?

Red Dragon

Reaction score
Like many Cowboys fans, I was surprised at Witten deciding to return to the Cowboys, and felt that this kind of took away the dignity of what had been a very graceful retirement in 2017. I am not sure what he gets out of this - unless he is simply itching so badly to play more football that it's in his blood and he just can't bear to not be on the field.

He presumably has all the money he could ever need and this extra season isn't going to pay him much additionally. The Cowboys, despite being a playoff team last year, aren't likely to win a Super Bowl in this one last season of Witten's career. He is running a real risk of needless injury, especially given his old age. He isn't likely to break any career records in one last season, although he might pad his existing records a bit further. Indeed, it's not even likely that he would get the ball thrown his way much.

Yes, it's his decision and his decision alone, but since we are the peanut gallery and it's the offseason, does anyone see a good reason for #82 to have come back?

cern

Reaction score
The criticism he took because of his horrible performance in the broadcast booth had to be painful. Especially gives romo's accolades. So a return to football, albeit at a reduced salary would assauge his bruised feelings. No more pro bowls in his future, but he can still be productive.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Witten can still be a valuable contributor to an offense.

He shouldn’t play 95% of the snaps anymore. He should play like 50%.

That being said. If it’s 3rd and 5 or less, I know that he can still be valuable at picking up first downs. He can also still block relatively well for a tight end.

Hardline

Reaction score
Witten can still be a valuable contributor to an offense.

He shouldn’t play 95% of the snaps anymore. He should play like 50%.

That being said. If it’s 3rd and 5 or less, I know that he can still be valuable at picking up first downs. He can also still block relatively well for a tight end.
His level of production should determine his snaps. Not some pre-determined set amount.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
The criticism he took because of his horrible performance in the broadcast booth had to be painful. Especially gives romo's accolades. So a return to football, albeit at a reduced salary would assauge his bruised feelings. No more pro bowls in his future, but he can still be productive.
I actually enjoyed him as a broadcaster more than Romo...
I always thought of him as the modern day Yogi Berra.

I wish they would have given him a few more years for people to get on the Yogi train.
Alas, t'was not to be.

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
He was embarrassed at the reaction to his first year in booth, decided to go back to playing so he's not ending his stint in failure. But he gave up on the team. He didn't expect last year's team to do well so he retired at the worst possible moment (mid draft) but they made it to second round of playoffs. Now he wants back in on that action.

It's fine, he may be better than what we have at TE right now, but let's not act like it'll take us over the hump. He's been a part of every failed playoff team since 2003

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Like many Cowboys fans, I was surprised at Witten deciding to return to the Cowboys, and felt that this kind of took away the dignity of what had been a very graceful retirement in 2017. I am not sure what he gets out of this - unless he is simply itching so badly to play more football that it's in his blood and he just can't bear to not be on the field.

He presumably has all the money he could ever need and this extra season isn't going to pay him much additionally. The Cowboys, despite being a playoff team last year, aren't likely to win a Super Bowl in this one last season of Witten's career. He is running a real risk of needless injury, especially given his old age. He isn't likely to break any career records in one last season, although he might pad his existing records a bit further. Indeed, it's not even likely that he would get the ball thrown his way much.

Yes, it's his decision and his decision alone, but since we are the peanut gallery and it's the offseason, does anyone see a good reason for #82 to have come back?
Yes because no one can cover him. And he’ll be a first ballot Hall of Famer because of it.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Maybe the guy just loves playing football? Some players have a real passion for being on the field. He is getting up there in age and probably viewed this opportunity as his last hurrah to enjoy the sport as a player. Would be nice if this franchise could award him with a ring.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

#1 reason. He was an awful announcer.

And he probably has some football left. Ultimately most players are never ready to walk away until either injury or someone beats them out. Fortunately for him the Cowboys probably don’t have a better TE.

GMO415

Reaction score
Failure in broadcasting, yet ESPN was willing to hire him for another season

HungryLion

Reaction score
His level of production should determine his snaps. Not some pre-determined set amount.

Thanks for stating the obvious. I was merely taking a stab at what a good amount would be. Which is why the word “like” was in there.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
When I first heard we were bringing him back I was like sweet!! He'd be a good 3rd TE/player coach on a minimal deal that has some use as a chain mover on 2nd or 3rd and 7 to 3 yards to go.

Then I saw the contract details and that we didn't make a single other move all offseason at TE and know exactly what their plan is next season at TE.

Our worst FA signing BY FAR:
1. Too much CAP
2. Resulted in us not making any other additions at the spot
3. Progress stopper
4. Extremely ineffective his last season here

cern

Reaction score
I actually enjoyed him as a broadcaster more than Romo...
I always thought of him as the modern day Yogi Berra.

I wish they would have given him a few more years for people to get on the Yogi train.
Alas, t'was not to be.
Yogi's gaffes were deliberate and funny. Witten's were just brain farts. When you get to the fork in the road, take it.