Is/was there any good, practical reason for Witten to return to football?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The criticism he took because of his horrible performance in the broadcast booth had to be painful. Especially gives romo's accolades. So a return to football, albeit at a reduced salary would assauge his bruised feelings. No more pro bowls in his future, but he can still be productive.

Face saving way to escape from the booth and that creature they put on his head.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Yogi's gaffes were deliberate and funny. Witten's were just brain farts. When you get to the fork in the road, take it.
Yeah... I get that and you're right, but I was hoping he'd get the chance to recognize the opportunity and make it his.
You know?
Sometimes we don't know that our "stupid stuff" could actually be a very cool thing and cultivate it.

I was hoping for a Cultivation.
And then begins the Cult.
The Cult of the Cultivation.

Okay, now I'm wandering off the reservation. Sorry Native Americans. I know you want me to stick around...
I'm not going anywhere.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
#1 reason. He was an awful announcer.

And he probably has some football left. Ultimately most players are never ready to walk away until either injury or someone beats them out. Fortunately for him the Cowboys probably don’t have a better TE.
It has absolutely nothing to do with broadcasting. He’s a football player. That’s what he loves to do. That’s what he’s done his entire life. He sees how this team is capable of going all the way and knows that he can help. Just imagine what he can do on a 3rd or 4th down in a crucial game. He can help win the game. We should all be proud of him and enjoy possibly his last season. I’m hoping and praying they can go all the way and Romo calls the Super Bowl. I’ll be shedding some tears if that happens.

Techsass

Reaction score
His main receiving role in 2017 was as a safety valve. He did that pretty well, so it'll probably be what they use him for this year.

We all nail him for the just short of a first plays, but he averaged 8.9yds per reception & caught a little over 70% of everything thrown his way. I don't think he was ever Dak's 1st read, but he was always there when the play went South.

GenoT

Reaction score
Anything over 7 yd routes, I don't buy he is better than Jarwin.
Agree. But then unless we’re 3rd-and-long, or maybe 2nd-and-long in our own territory, how many 7yds+ routes are we likely to call for the TE?

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
It has absolutely nothing to do with broadcasting. He’s a football player. That’s what he loves to do. That’s what he’s done his entire life. He sees how this team is capable of going all the way and knows that he can help. Just imagine what he can do on a 3rd or 4th down in a crucial game. He can help win the game. We should all be proud of him and enjoy possibly his last season. I’m hoping and praying they can go all the way and Romo calls the Super Bowl. I’ll be shedding some tears if that happens.
I hope he goes back after re-retirement.
I thought he was awesome.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Like many Cowboys fans, I was surprised at Witten deciding to return to the Cowboys, and felt that this kind of took away the dignity of what had been a very graceful retirement in 2017. I am not sure what he gets out of this - unless he is simply itching so badly to play more football that it's in his blood and he just can't bear to not be on the field.

He presumably has all the money he could ever need and this extra season isn't going to pay him much additionally. The Cowboys, despite being a playoff team last year, aren't likely to win a Super Bowl in this one last season of Witten's career. He is running a real risk of needless injury, especially given his old age. He isn't likely to break any career records in one last season, although he might pad his existing records a bit further. Indeed, it's not even likely that he would get the ball thrown his way much.

Yes, it's his decision and his decision alone, but since we are the peanut gallery and it's the offseason, does anyone see a good reason for #82 to have come back?
Did you not see his welcome back introduction interview? He said he still had fire in the belly to play and felt better than he had in years. I don't get what you are saying about dignity. It's his retirement and his career. It's not like a retired athlete has never unretired. It happens. IMO, the best reason for him to come back is that he wants to and the opportunity was available to him. How many people can do that? Just come back and be welcomed with open arms. I still think he has to earn it at training camp, but I'm sure he will.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Agree. But then unless we’re 3rd-and-long, or maybe 2nd-and-long in our own territory, how many 7yds+ routes are we likely to call for the TE?

Anything over 7 yd routes, goes to our main wr rotation & Jarwin.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He wasnt great on TV but I've seen much worse. Everyone was trying to compare him to Romo. I think he just missed it. We all wish we could have played one more year. He can and he will. More power to him.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Like many Cowboys fans, I was surprised at Witten deciding to return to the Cowboys, and felt that this kind of took away the dignity of what had been a very graceful retirement in 2017. I am not sure what he gets out of this - unless he is simply itching so badly to play more football that it's in his blood and he just can't bear to not be on the field.

He presumably has all the money he could ever need and this extra season isn't going to pay him much additionally. The Cowboys, despite being a playoff team last year, aren't likely to win a Super Bowl in this one last season of Witten's career. He is running a real risk of needless injury, especially given his old age. He isn't likely to break any career records in one last season, although he might pad his existing records a bit further. Indeed, it's not even likely that he would get the ball thrown his way much.

Yes, it's his decision and his decision alone, but since we are the peanut gallery and it's the offseason, does anyone see a good reason for #82 to have come back?

Is there a reason you need to have other than he wants to play?

Lodeus

Reaction score
I'm hoping he sees something special in this team and sees his chance to get a ring.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It minimizes the sting and people's memory of his broadcasting failure.

He never wanted to quit but he had an extreme dislike for Linehan.

He desperately wants to go to the Super Bowl. He probably thinks this team has a chance.

There is a chance that he re-retires after training camp if he does not "have it" anymore.

Verdict

Reaction score

Witten is WAY past his prime and that’s coming from a Witten fan. It’s a train wreck to keep Witten on the 53 unless they just plan to use him in short yardage and goal line situations in the passing game and that’s all.

He yells “ole’ “ in the blocking game (he sucks there) and he has zero speed. So it’s a waste of roster space and cap room.

Reaction score

On the field? No.

He should have come back as a TE coach.

Verdict

Reaction score
It minimizes the sting and people's memory of his broadcasting failure.

He never wanted to quit but he had an extreme dislike for Linehan.

He desperately wants to go to the Super Bowl. He probably thinks this team has a chance.

There is a chance that he re-retires after training camp if he does not "have it" anymore.

This team has a reasonable chance of getting to the super bowl if:

1. Dak plays reasonably well.
2. The team stays reasonably healthy.
3. The O/C does reasonably well.
4. The defense plays up to its potential
5. Zeke doesn’t hold out.
6. Garret doesn’t piss off games
7. We don’t insist on forcing Wittens play
8. We don’t pull Jaylon or wolf Hunter to play Sean Lee.

Should all of those things happen? Probably so. Will they? IDK. But it’s pretty easy to see that the team needs to cut off Garrett’s head if he can’t see 6, 7, or 8.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Witten is WAY past his prime and that’s coming from a Witten fan. It’s a train wreck to keep Witten on the 53 unless they just plan to use him in short yardage and goal line situations in the passing game and that’s all.

He yells “ole’ “ in the blocking game (he sucks there) and he has zero speed. So it’s a waste of roster space and cap room.

And yet majority of Cowboys fans are so blind they relished when he came back. It will be the same old junk from Witten. 2 and 3 yard routes and then he falls down. He's not a team player at all. He is selfish and does not care about the development of any one else. He will suck the life out of this offense once again.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
His main receiving role in 2017 was as a safety valve. He did that pretty well, so it'll probably be what they use him for this year.

We all nail him for the just short of a first plays, but he averaged 8.9yds per reception & caught a little over 70% of everything thrown his way. I don't think he was ever Dak's 1st read, but he was always there when the play went South.

Unfortunately he didn't even manage that role well.... at all.

On his 87 targets he produced a 1st down on 29.9% of them.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think his stint in the broadcast booth was tough on him. Not just the criticism but sitting up there and doing that Cowboys game and not being on the field.

I think he felt he made a mistake. The ESPN window was open and might not be again and it was either jump through it now or miss it. He retired before he was ready just like Aikman and Romo did. Aikman has talked about how rough it was for him and how much he missed it and even thought of coming back but deep down he knew he was one more knock on the noggin from asking directions to Waterloo. Steve Young, the same thing, he felt that he could still play at a competitive level.

I also think he felt he had walked out a little on Booger, Garrett and the team retiring the way he did and never felt good about himself. It was for all the right reasons, any man would have to strongly consider that, but the wrong reason was Witten is a team guy first. There were battles left to fight. And it didn't help that they kept after him to come back.

I think all of that criticism he received certainly accelerated his thinking because he was really poor at that job and he had to know it. While he says all the right things about staying with it and ESPN openly supported him, I think behind closed doors it was a different story. They had hoped putting him in the booth would help ratings, it did not. The Cowboys are calling and ESPN said "we understand", all the while breathing a sigh of relief.