News: Is Wentz worth a fourth overall pick?

CCBoy

Reaction score
http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...-mccoy-carson-wentz-best-prospect-since-deion

Q: Say Dallas falls in love with Wentz but they don't think he's "worth" the #4 pick. Do they overdraft him to ensure they get the guy they want, or do they take the risk of trading down/waiting to see if they can get more players AND Wentz? - Matt Houston

Matt, if they "fall in love" with Wentz at the Senior Bowl and during the spring, then you take him at #4. But, I suppose we all have different views on what "falling in love" means. To me, it means you are convinced this could be your QB1 to open the 2026 season. If you are working with a guy that you think could be your QB past his 30th birthday, then you don't screw around and risk losing him. Quarterbacks are too hard to find. Look at what Washington has gone through looking for a starting Quarterback since Mark Rypien. He was the last time they had the same QB starting for them for 5 straight years. 1989-1993! I am here to tell you that is not is what happens when you don't invest properly in QB. Ask Detroit before Stafford. Ask Chicago before Cutler. Ask Jacksonville after Brunell or Tennessee after McNair. Or Houston. Ask Houston.

The point is that if you think Wentz or Jared Goff or Paxton Lynch is "the dude", then you don't get cute. you draft your QB and run for the hills. I am not a big "trade down" guy. I have seen that the team that gets the best player in a trade usually wins. And that best player is found by going up, not moving back. If you want a QB, trading up can blow up in your face. But, trading down and hoping a QB of your dreams keeps falling so you can add another pick is dangerous and ill-advised.

If I don't care which one I get, then I can start trading down. If I don't think Wentz is all that great, then I risk it. But, if they "fall in love" with the kid - think he can be a 23-year old version of Romo or better, then you take him at #4 and don't think twice.

CCBoy

Reaction score
My apologies...the lead topic should have been #4 pick.

The point being, although, establishing a realistic value despite position interest.

Fredd

Reaction score
4th overall? hmmmm. we will have to wait and see...I still think Defense or Treadwell with the #4 and grab Connor Cook with the 2nd rounder or use the 3rd and trade back into the 2nd to get him

CCBoy

Reaction score
Q: What do you think of getting Colt McCoy to back up Tony Romo? I think McCoy would have won 3-4 games and allow Romo to be completely healed before rushing back to play. - Zeke

Zeke, to me this is the move I would like to strongly consider if I want to look at a veteran free agent at the QB position to play backup. Obviously, there are better QBs in free agency, led by the mysterious case of Denver's Brock Osweiler. I just don't see a scenario in which Denver let's him get out of there after all of the trouble taken in grooming him to replace Manning. Then, there is Ryan Fitzpatrick, who we just saw last month play a pretty decent level of QB. I assume his intention is to start. There is also Sam Bradford and Robert Griffin on the market. I imagine their price hopes and starting ambitions are still too high to take a QB2 job in Dallas. Now, McCoy is in that next tier of QBs you would hope to take the job from Kellen Moore. Colt McCoy, Chase Daniel, Matt Moore, or even former Scott Linehan backup Drew Stanton. They are likely in the price range and in the spot of their careers where this could make some sense.

As you know, I prefer we get serious about a QB at #4, so any of these moves might not fit my plan. I am good with a QB up top in the draft and keeping Moore to be that bridge between draft day and when one of these young lads is ready to be Romo's backup. That could be 2 weeks, 2 months, or 2 years.

http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...-mccoy-carson-wentz-best-prospect-since-deion

Eddie

Reaction score
I have no problem with the team taking Goff, Lynch, or Wenz at #4 ... whoever is the best of them available. The QB position is too important for the future of this franchise to mess around with. Take the best QB ... and yes, don't look back. Give him a year or two to sit and learn. Then unleash him on the NFL.

Proximo

Reaction score
If they take a QB at 4 because they TRULY think he's the future, then I'm absolutely all for it. Just please don't reach.

If he's not "the man", take a sure starter at some other position.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Here's the deal. Do draft picks mean that much if the player succeeds?

If Wentz ends up being a starter, and a franchise quarterback (and that can mean a perennial winner without ever winning it all) does it matter that you took him too high?

And in the big scheme of things, since this team misses so much more than they hit, does it really matter if you busted on a player in the first or fourth?

Some will answer with the cap, but that is actually unimportant. It's all play money.

The team needs to figure out what it will look like on the other side of Romo's career. It seems logical Romo will heal, Dez will heal, they will find another running back to compliment McFadden, and Gregory will have a sophomore season which should be much better than his rookie year.

So the team will be better.

Do you waste a premium pick by ignoring the elephant in the room and coming back to a play-off team and then finding you missed your window at taking a QB? And I even hate using premium here since it is a crap shoot from start to finish.

Inevitably the trade down crew will dominate threads as the season ends with SB 50 and goes into the draft season. Until Romo can't play at anywhere near the level he plays now, how can you pass on this opportunity? Because they will not be in this draft area again for several years, unless Romo is injured again.

Which precipitates drafting a QB anyway.

Romo training his replacement while Romo is on or near the top instead of starting over and succotash for three or four years as we wait.

Lynch, Goff, Cook, and Wentz. Not sure which will be a player, but I believe Dallas will have their pick of the four at 4.

But the QB position will ultimately have more influence on this team than any other position. Shoot and hit, or fire and miss. But be bold and do something that could pay off for post-Romo.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
Here's the deal. Do draft picks mean that much if the player succeeds?

If Wentz ends up being a starter, and a franchise quarterback (and that can mean a perennial winner without ever winning it all) does it matter that you took him too high?

And in the big scheme of things, since this team misses so much more than they hit, does it really matter if you busted on a player in the first or fourth?

Some will answer with the cap, but that is actually unimportant. It's all play money.

The team needs to figure out what it will look like on the other side of Romo's career. It seems logical Romo will heal, Dez will heal, they will find another running back to compliment McFadden, and Gregory will have a sophomore season which should be much better than his rookie year.

So the team will be better.

Do you waste a premium pick by ignoring the elephant in the room and coming back to a play-off team and then finding you missed your window at taking a QB? And I even hate using premium here since it is a crap shoot from start to finish.

Inevitably the trade down crew will dominate threads as the season ends with SB 50 and goes into the draft season. Until Romo can't play at anywhere near the level he plays now, how can you pass on this opportunity? Because they will not be in this draft area again for several years, unless Romo is injured again.

Which precipitates drafting a QB anyway.

Romo training his replacement while Romo is on or near the top instead of starting over and succotash for three or four years as we wait.

Lynch, Goff, Cook, and Wentz. Not sure which will be a player, but I believe Dallas will have their pick of the four at 4.

But the QB position will ultimately have more influence on this team than any other position. Shoot and hit, or fire and miss. But be bold and do something that could pay off for post-Romo.

I do not believe Dallas will have their pick of the 4. I believe the only one worthy of the 4th pick will be gone. Goff.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I do not believe Dallas will have their pick of the 4. I believe the only one worthy of the 4th pick will be gone. Goff.

Just three slots from the very top, if Goff is the preferred shot, trade up to get him, and be set at the position. Then use money via free agency to elevate the defense.

Derinyar

Reaction score
If you think someone has a legit chance to be a franchise QB there's basically no amount that's too much for him. The problem is you had better be right. For a year it looked like the Skins had made a good evaluation of RG3. If RG3 hadn't gone in the tank they would have made a good decision because there is nothing as important to the success of a NFL team as having a franchise QB.

MrPhil

Reaction score
I don't know if this will make sense or not but here is how I am trying to look at things: Our current first round pick, #4 overall, is almost like an extra pick.

Before the season started, I think we would all have expected our first round pick to be much closer to our current 2nd round pick, #34 overall, than #4 overall -- probably in the 28-32 range.

So, if you buy into that mindset, why not use that "extra" pick on a QB? This of course assumes that they believe one of the top 3 guys has legit potential to be a franchise QB for us.

superonyx

Reaction score
The reason people ask if they should "overdraft" and take a guy about 10+ spots before that players should be drafted based on talent ect...this is because moving back from 4 to 14 could get you an additional second round pick and allow you to get your guy anyway...

That said I agree with those that say you don't mess around and chance a player you love at a valuable position for this extra 2nd round draft pick...if you love him and feel he is good enough to warrant passing on other guys and positions then you should just draft him....

Now if they are only "pretty sure" he will be a legit franchise QB then I could see them picking up the extra pick and taking the chance.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
I am one that hopes they don't waste #4 on a QB. Imo none of these Qb's in this years draft are franchise Qb's. but who really knows.

csirl

Reaction score
A month ago people were saying only 2 QBs would go first round and doubting whether these QBs were worth high picks. They were also saying Wentz would be guaranteed to be available in the second round.

Now a lot of the mock drafts have 4 QBs in the first with Goff being a top 4 pick. Wentz is now getting rated mid first with some putting him as high as seven overall.

There's a clear trend. QBs are rising stock.