Is Witten a strategic decision by Jerry or a publicity stunt?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I believe it's a little 'o both.
Or is it Jerry, again, having a bigger heart than his brain?
Our TE corps, as weak as it is (Jarhead excluded) , needs reps and game time. I see Witten just delaying their progress.
He’s more talented than other TE we have.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Its bringing back a player they wanted to bring back last yr, who they never wanted to retire. Clearly this team thinks Witten gives them the best option to do what they want. To block, to beat Lbers on 3rd down, and to get open in the redzone.

Its funny how ex players and current players see Witten as a threat. Fans who sit on a couch think he;'s washed up. This is why they are where they are and fans are on a couch.

He had a job for 2019 word is ESPN were gonna give him another yr. He wants a shot to win a title. Cant blame him.
If the Boys didn't want Witten to retire, blimey, the FO is dumber than I thought.
Luckily, we have you, football guy, to guide us.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think we missed Wittens limited production last year especially in Redzone more than some would like to admit.

Not really sure why there’s any bashing of Witten at all. Pretty solid FA pick up for 2 million 1 year contract.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Witten at 20-25 plays per game will not delay the progress of Blake Jarwin and Dalton Schultz. In fact, he should have the opposite effect. There's nobody else I would rather have mentoring a young tight end than Witten.

I think he's coming back in 2019 as a complementary player-slash-goal line option; and he'll use this season to act as a bridge to a possible coaching career.

Because let's face it, that TV thing wasn't too smooth.

This is what I am hoping for. If Witten gets 50+ snaps a game, I don't think it will work out well. I believe he can still add something, but as an every down player I think he would limit us. Jarwin can make plays beyond the 8-12 yard range that is really the upper end of what we would get from Witten at this point..

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I think we missed Wittens limited production last year especially in Redzone more than some would like to admit.

Not really sure why there’s any bashing of Witten at all. Pretty solid FA pick up for 2 million 1 year contract.
We love HOFer Witten.
But he is old, rusty and creaky!!!!
When did he last play?

Verdict

Reaction score
Hope he does not play every down. This will be a huge mistake. But if so Garrett will be of his own demise for allowing it.
I think he will surprise people and if he plays mo more than half the snaps, he will surprise people.
But the is just a thought or hopeful wishing maybe.

I will see how he looks in TC, then again probably not as I bet we won't see much action there.
But if limited in games, I think he will help at this point. However will it prevent them from drafting a TE in a deep TE draft class.

You are more optimistic than I am about him, but who knows, you may end up being right. I just don't think he was worth much his last three years of playing, so I can't see him getting older and better.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
Ya know? That deceitfully devious Idahoan KELLEN " calling in the kill strike" MOORE is gonna fiendishly float the ol' stud duck #82 out there on them perceived crucial 3rd& 6 opportunities only to lure the lameness of the opposition in towards & sticking tight to the calm waters of WITTEN'S A.O.,,,
while cutting loose with the bow mounted punt gun of WHAMMBO launching of long lance throws to deep strike units #19/#13 in stunningly splendid KELLENISTIC ,,,er,,, THRILLING, EDGE OF YER' SEAT gripping FANISH ELATION,,,:thumbup:
:starspin::starspin::starspin::starspin::starspin:
Cuz' success is the former #17's BAG BABY!

o_O:starspin:o_O
Do you speak English?

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Do you speak English?
,,,er,,,:huh:,,, fer a nominal fee ,I could possibly
( maybe, dependent upon current mood,that is ) rapidly bring the pathetically inept& less than capable of the poppin' off wiseasses class of lame, up to optimum cruising altitude,,,although, as previously stated, that is dependent upon my current mood, SPORTS FAN:rolleyes:

RoboQB

Reaction score
It was reported they wanted him back midseason last year.
Try to keep up.

Bashing Witten is yet another example of making Dallas fans look bad.
With that being said, if he doesn't mentor the young guys, I'll be disappointed.

Another tidbit that was reported is that he's interested in eventually coaching,
which is why I expect him to help out the youngsters.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
To me, much depends upon how Witten's return is handled, both for the wins and to develop our other TE's, as well. If Witten's reps are reduced to a respectable degree to allow our remaining TEs to develop as needed, it should be fine. If not, It might be disappointing. Let's first see how it goes.

Last edited:

gmoney112

Reaction score
I'm half expecting Witten to get completely destroyed.

Clean decapitation.