Is WR1 as Must-Have in RPO based offense?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
WRs are overrated in general. And QBs somehow underrated. Guys like Brady and Wilson and to a lesser extent, Rodgers, have made do for a long time with some fairly ordinary receivers. Guys who later became household names.

Give me guys who can block and catch reliably and be where they’re supposed to be all the time. Throw in some skill like deep speed or Beasely’s Quick feet, but for the most part, spend the money on the OTs and the QB and the DL.

I think they are overdrafted but I don't think they are overrated. I think scarcity of WR that can get separation consistently is the issue. They are game changers.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
So Carson Wentz and Nick Foles aren’t real quarterbacks?

Because the eagles ran a lot of RPO’s with both QB’s last year......
Dak_Prescott_Play_Action_1024x576.png

khiladi

Reaction score
Apparently people think we are totally revamping an offense with Linehan, when the only reason we went Linehan is because we wouldn’t have to abandon the Coryell playbook brought in by Garrett.

Garrett played politics to bounce Callahan, precisely because his playbook was going in the crapper.

Klingo3034

Reaction score
Not to mention this works with Dak in RPOs compare to Nick Foles. You saw what one play where Jaylon Smith was able to not be fooled by the RPO play and tackle the running back like 5 yards behind. With Dak and Zeke the RPO is more dangerous. Dak has success with it as well if you seen those plays.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
We need WRs who can beat single coverage. We don't need an elite guy who can beat double coverage. Note that that elite guy probably takes an elite passer to go with him.

In 2014 we had Dez and Romo as that elite QB/WR duo. Certainly nice to have, but hard to come by. Also, very expensive.

I'm more interested in the strategy of two solid WRs who can beat single coverage, plus a decent QB who can get them the ball. Much cheaper, much easier to find, and it lets you put your resources on the oline, which is where we happen to have our money, and have the players to make that worthwhile.

Hurns looks like a great example of a less than elite WR who can beat single coverage. Ridley is probably still not going to be elite either, but he projects as a guy who can beat single coverage even more. Good route runner with enough speed paired with that to go deep. Two guys who can run routes and catch the ball, with one of them a deep threat.

I think Butler was actually a pretty good fit for us too. Decent enough skills to catch the short stuff, but the size, strength, and long speed to beat you deep. Another guy who can beat you if you only single him. Speed kills.

We need enough WR talent to hurt teams if they crowd the box and single our wide outs. If they don't crowd the box, we're going to beat them with Zeke and the oline.

I like that kind of offense as a long term strategy. Spend in the trenches, not the edges.
:lmao2: that WAS about 80% of the #9 magic, where he'd pull his Romodin'e pinball scramble and by the time he rifled a salvo down range ALL our receivers were pretty much one-on-one in coverage,,, AND that was the BEAUTIFUL THING of the #9

( the opposition knew as long as he was our Q.B. their path to victory was forever in doubto_O)
:starspin::hammer::starspin:

:dance::thumbup::dance:

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Of course, we should have an all-pro in every position.

But if we go towards a RPO offense instead of a traditional triplet offense, does it reduce the importance of a WR1.
Or rather, is it more important to have at least 3 WR2 than a WR1?

The RPO, with a dominant OL and a dominant RB, can disrupt a defense possibly more than WR1 can?
That would be by misdirection, having multiple options from each formation, ...
Rolling out in one direction and leaving a DE uncovered to gain a one-man advantage

IMO, we could deemphasize the WR1 and use the draft pick/$ for WR1 towards OL and defense.

With a dominant o line and RB, we don't need an RPO offense. We can use it on a situational basis, but we should be able to dictate the game from the sideline.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
We've been playing without a true #1 for the last three years so no........productive 2's and 3's will work.............your #1 WR is your "go to" guy that you have confidence in to make a "must have" play........Dez hasn't been that guy for years...........the only thing that says he's a #1 is his inflated contract.

Melonfeud

Reaction score
With a dominant o line and RB, we don't need an RPO offense. We can use it on a situational basis, but we should be able to dictate the game from the sideline.
" sound wisdom of an effective battle plan always prevails "

Oft quoted Ancient adage of "EMPEROR MELONIUS DE FEUDIUS
0331 B.C."

o_O

Klingo3034

Reaction score

We definitely need it. They know the Cowboys is run first. They shown how to counter by putting more in the box to deal with strong offensive line and a good running back. Need to make them pay for that with RPOs. Or play action.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
:lmao2: that WAS about 80% of the #9 magic, where he'd pull his Romodin'e pinball scramble and by the time he rifled a salvo down range ALL our receivers were pretty much one-on-one in coverage,,, AND that was the BEAUTIFUL THING of the #9

( the opposition knew as long as he was our Q.B. their path to victory was forever in doubto_O)

They also know playoff victories were guaranteed. Get over Romo and move on

Melonfeud

Reaction score
They also know playoff victories were guaranteed. Get over Romo and move on
Neber* sniff* snizzle* sniff*

I'll grant the simple fact that as well rounded as the sporting man #9 is /was/ forever he shall be,,, ,,place holder just really wasn't in his bag-o- fort'e,,,o_O
Also,perhaps the grasp of dealing with factual terms in the real& now has ,,,er,,,escaped thru the hole in yer' bag-0- fort'e TOO,friend:rolleyes:

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score

That graphic must have been from around mid-season or so. Dak finished the season with a 104.5 passer rating w/ play action, which ranked 12th in the league. His 81.8 rating w/o play action ranked 23rd.

In the 11 games when both Smith and Martin played, Dak had a 120.5 w/ play action, and a 90.9 without.

In the three games Smith and Martin played but Elliott did not, Prescott had a 103.9 w/ play action, and a 96.4 without.

In the three games without Elliott that either Smith or Martin missed, Prescott had a 21.0 w/ play action, and a 62.1 without.

Melonfeud

Reaction score
That graphic must have been from around mid-season or so. Dak finished the season with a 104.5 passer rating w/ play action, which ranked 12th in the league. His 81.8 rating w/o play action ranked 23rd.

In the 11 games when both Smith and Martin played, Dak had a 120.5 w/ play action, and a 90.9 without.

In the three games Smith and Martin played but Elliott did not, Prescott had a 103.9 w/ play action, and a 96.4 without.

In the three games without Elliott that either Smith or Martin missed, Prescott had a 21.0 w/ play action, and a 62.1 without.

Once again Percy!, that's some Clint Eastwood killing eye rasing reading yer'posting!
:thumbup:

dallasdave

Reaction score

WOW !!!!

dallasdave

Reaction score
yea, except a #1 pick in ridley should probably be spent on the OL or the defense.
wr2 can be had later in the draft or cheaper in fa, like hurns who cost $6m per year with incentives.
this year, i would use the #1 on hernandez or some ol to make the ol dominant again for zeke.
after 2018, i would tend to get proven wr2's in fa and use the picks for defense.
dont agree with butler who is very talented but unreliable.
with a scheme that takes advantage of the wrs and rpo talents, we could keep the box less cluttered for zeke.
Putty-ism