Is Zack Martin’s agent playing serious hardball?

millennial_legend

Reaction score
Zacks hometown is in Indiana. Probably a Colts fan. Hmm, they have lots of money.

Would you trade Martin this year if they would give up a first and second?
2018 first (7th overall I believe) AND second (would be in the low 30s)??? You do that without any hesistation and draft Nelson. Obviously.

millennial_legend

Reaction score
Zacks hometown is in Indiana. Probably a Colts fan. Hmm, they have lots of money.

2018 first (7th overall I believe) AND second (would be in the low 30s)??? You do that without any hesistation and draft Nelson. Obviously.
No they had Collins but Free's unexpected retirement sort caught them off guard
Free was a great run blocker

Bigger liability than Collins in pass protection, though

BlindFaith

Reaction score
I understand 2 things...one...hes the best lineman we have and secondly,we cant win without him.
I would challenge that bold prediction.

The only player you can't win without is a QB. I don't recall anyone saying Larry Allen was the reason we won. And I'd feel safe in saying that we would have still won with half of Larry Allen. And Martin is no Larry Allen.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Sure you do. But would they be willing to give that up for the best guard in football.

Some may even say irreplaceable.

Verdict

Reaction score

If they would give up a first and a second he would be long gone. There is no way we would pass up a high first and a high second. That will never happen.

They could give up a high second and a high third and that would be really hard to pass up.

Verdict

Reaction score
I was thinking about this last night. What do you guys think his trade value is right now? Might be smart to move on now if he is going to Play this kind of hard ball.

I first and a third we would make that trade. I'm almost certain. Just a first, maybe. Anything more than a first it's almost certain to be a done deal.

I don't think anyone would give that much up.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
I first and a third we would make that trade. I'm almost certain. Just a first, maybe. Anything more than a first it's almost certain to be a done deal.

I don't think anyone would give that much up.
He's easily better than anyone in the draft. That's a given.

But is he so much better that a team would take on his huge new contract?

The Colts are really only paying one guy - Castonzo the LT. If I'm them, with all the money they have, I'm giving up my 1st and 3rd for Martin.

Verdict

Reaction score
He's easily better than anyone in the draft. That's a given.

But is he so much better that a team would take on his huge new contract?

The Colts are really only paying one guy - Castonzo the LT. If I'm them, with all the money they have, I'm giving up my 1st and 3rd for Martin.

Their first roundpick was #3 overall. They have traded back to #6. That's still way too rich when you can get Nelson at 6 and save a hell of a lot of cap room.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Yeah, I think they are. That's why he hasn't been signed yet.

And the long term availability of Smith plays into this as well. If Smith can only go another year or two, then swallowing the Martin load becomes more palitable. So to speak. ~cough~

Lol. You have a way with words, my friend. Very funny.

lukin2006

Reaction score
If his agent is playing hardball and he becomes to expensive...then why not try and trade him? Other teams regularly move on from these situations...but not Dallas. It’s pointless to let a guard break the finances. The only reason I can figure we don’t move on from these situations is simple, our FO is a poor talent evaluator...

I think it’s unrealistic to think we can keep this line together and really improve other areas like defence...

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
This won't be popular, but I walk away from Martin. Get a guy with one of your top 5 picks this year. Groom him. And slide him in next year. That's how the Pat's do it. They let Solder walk.

You are confusing the pats MO of releasing a player a year earlier than a year to late and this applies to players towards the ends of their career. Name a time the pats let the best player in the league at a position at the time walk in the prime of his career? Letting Martin walk with no compensation is one of the dumbest comments I've read here.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
If his agent is playing hardball and he becomes to expensive...then why not try and trade him? Other teams regularly move on from these situations...but not Dallas. It’s pointless to let a guard break the finances. The only reason I can figure we don’t move on from these situations is simple, our FO is a poor talent evaluator...

I think it’s unrealistic to think we can keep this line together and really improve other areas like defence...

So you're saying for the sake of a couple more mil to let Martin walk and be the best guard in the NFL for some other team? Teams don't let the best at their positions walk away and expect to win. I'm so glad you have nothing to do with the Cowboys management.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
You do not walk away from the best player in the NFL at ANY starting position.

You do not close the door on any option while in the process of negotiation. That's a great way to get fleeced.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I understand 2 things...one...hes the best lineman we have and secondly, we cant win without him.

The 90s Cowboys won 3 SBs. Only one of them was with Larry Allen, probably the best guard in the history of the franchise. John Gesek and Kevin Gogan played his position prior to his arrival.

Martin is great at what he does, but he's a guard. Hyperbole aside, that's not a position you put at the top of your salary cap.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I would challenge that bold prediction.

The only player you can't win without is a QB. I don't recall anyone saying Larry Allen was the reason we won. And I'd feel safe in saying that we would have still won with half of Larry Allen. And Martin is no Larry Allen.

Larry Allen was physically the strongest player in the NFL but as good as he was, it is impossible to sate with any certainty what would have happened if someone else was playing LG during those years. Also there are no things written in stone. Proof - the ravens had an average QB, Trent Dilfer, and they won a super bowl with him. They won because of such a tough defense and a strong running game not because of the play of Dilfer.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
The 90s Cowboys won 3 SBs. Only one of them was with Larry Allen, probably the best guard in the history of the franchise. John Gesek and Kevin Gogan played his position prior to his arrival.

Martin is great at what he does, but he's a guard. Hyperbole aside, that's not a position you put at the top of your salary cap.

I agree with much of what you said but times change. There was a time that RB was the 2nd highest paid position in the NFL. Today more and more teams see the advanages of having a superior offensive line. In the past 5 - 10 years we've seen the salary of LT who protest most QB's blind side climb and be right up there in dollar amounts. More and more teams are putting more money in their offensive lines which gives them options on both the passing game and the running game keeping defenses guessing which type of play they will run. The Cowboys in 2016 are a prime example of that.

lukin2006

Reaction score
So you're saying for the sake of a couple more mil to let Martin walk and be the best guard in the NFL for some other team? Teams don't let the best at their positions walk away and expect to win. I'm so glad you have nothing to do with the Cowboys management.

Thats really not what I'm saying. More to the point, because we have such a terrible front office and seemingly have trouble finding talent past the 1st round they put themselves into this position...teams like NE, Pittsburgh and even Philly are not afraid to walk away...I'd rather keep Martin and replace Tyrone Smith (bad back can not be good for a left tackle)...but as per usual with this team, there are no suitable backups for any position on the O-line. I'm not being negative here at all, just realistic, until we can consistently un-cover talent in the latter rounds it'll be the same old.