Isaiah Stanback

JPostSam

Reaction score
i don't care how much talent you have, you have to SHOW something. don't know about you, but i haven't seen anything from him yet. (would like to, but haven't.)

does stanback even make the team next year?

let's see:

owens
williams
crayton
austin
hurd

that's five receivers right there. looks like stanback is going to be fighting amendola for his spot next spring.

(...on the other hand, that's a pretty good group of five. add in witten and martellus bennett, and that group -- when healthy -- could break a scoreboard.)

it's just frustrating to get all the hype about guys and have them pretty much fizzle. bobby carpenter? ugh. pat watkins? just a guy. stanback? either nothing special, or too hurt to show it. hatcher? not exactly leon lett.

...of course, the consolation is in guys like ratliff, crayton and romo.

Monster Heel

Benched
Reaction score
If anyone of those guys doesn't make the team next year it's Hurd. He has hit his ceiling and it's time to churn him out of here.

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
I've been down on Stanback for a while. Yeah, he's tall and fast -- but the league is littered with tall and fast players who can't play. Other than his touchdown catch in the preseason of his rookie season, I can't recall many things he's done to stand out.

He just doesn't strike me as a natural runner with the football. Seems like he lacks good field vision and instincts on kick returns, and obviously has yet to pick up the finer nuances of playing wideout.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
he will get as much time as necesary because Jerry is enamored with size and speed.....the fact that he is NOT a NFL WR will not enter into the equation for another 2 years

Chuck 54

Reaction score
JPostSam;2439636 said:
i don't care how much talent you have, you have to SHOW something. don't know about you, but i haven't seen anything from him yet. (would like to, but haven't.)

let's see:

owens
williams
crayton
austin
hurd

that's five receivers right there. looks like stanback is going to be fighting amendola for his spot next spring.

(...on the other hand, that's a pretty good group of five. add in witten and martellus bennett, and that group -- when healthy -- could break a scoreboard.)

it's just frustrating to get all the hype about guys and have them pretty much fizzle. bobby carpenter? ugh. pat watkins? just a guy. stanback? either nothing special, or too hurt to show it. hatcher? not exactly leon lett.

What makes you think Amendola will be part of any competition? Early in the year, it was another wr who was activated from the squad instead of him.

It's hard to say that Stanback isn't showing anything when he's only returning KO's which has nothing to do with playing WR...from what I remember, he's caught the only balls thrown his way...he'll still get his chance.

Meanwhile, I would expect us to draft another WR in the mid-round area next draft: NT, ILB, SS, OG, WR (in the off-season)

tunahelper

Reaction score
I fear him returning KO's. He has no wiggle and holds the ball up begging for someone to strip it.

Velvet Jones

Reaction score
I think he is in the competition next camp but his 4th round status is now stripped. He will just be another player trying to make the team and not one who makes it because of potential and draft status.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
I think we would have been better served to have groomed his as a backup QB, then to have switched him to a WR.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Biggems;2439812 said:
I think we would have been better served to have groomed his as a backup QB, then to have switched him to a WR.
Right now he's neither, but know this staff, they'll cut Hurd and continue to work on Stanback since they love them some QB to WR conversions.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Biggems;2439812 said:

I was about to say move him back to QB or cut him loose. He's not a wr.

FCBarca

Reaction score
True, only conceivable way he remains is if he somehow switches back to QB...The WR experiment is a failure

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2439859 said:
I was about to say move him back to QB or cut him loose. He's not a wr.
No offense, but how on earth could you possibly know that?

As for his kick returning skills, yeah, he's probably not that good at it, but yesterday he was getting swarmed at the 10 yard line -- that's not on him, that's on our piss poor blocking.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
His size and speed and a good tease but so far I've seen nothing on the field to make me believe he will be special in any way. We are going to be looking for another starter soon to team up with Roy11. That the WR we should be grooming not another role player like Stanback appears to be.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
stanback has shown nothing and should be let go even if he shows something it shouldn't be enough to keep him.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
You would think that this place would learn about snap judgments especially with all of the wrong snap judgments.

Some times it just pays to sit back and see what is going to happen instead of pontificating about how good or bad a player is and getting it completely wrong.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
JPostSam;2439636 said:

let's see:

owens
williams
crayton
austin
hurd

Stanback may not make it same with amendola. Chances are Dallas will have other young WR come to camp next year whom they may feel have promise as well.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2439910 said:
Stanback may not make it same with amendola. Chances are Dallas will have other young WR come to camp next year whom they may feel have promise as well.
I don't see us spending any more resources on wide receivers for awhile. We have 4 players that are starting quality (TO, RW11, MA, and PC), another that is serviceable (SH), and two more that are still projects (Danny and Stanback).

Doomsday101

Reaction score
theogt;2439914 said:
I don't see us spending any more resources on wide receivers for awhile. We have 4 players that are starting quality (TO, RW11, MA, and PC), another that is serviceable (SH), and two more that are still projects (Danny and Stanback).

Late picks, UDFA like Amendola was? It happens pretty much every year. Dallas is not going to spend a day 1 pick but when you get into late round teams will start looking for the best prospect out there regardless of position and Dallas is no different. Guys like Stanback and Amendola are far from having their jobs be declared safe.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2439922 said:
Late picks, UDFA like Amendola was? It happens pretty much every year. Dallas is not going to spend a day 1 pick but when you get into late round teams will start looking for the best prospect out there regardless of position and Dallas is no different. Guys like Stanback and Amendola are far from having their jobs be declared safe.
Maybe a very late pick if it's absolutely a value pick, but why would anyone expect an UDFA to come in and beat Stanback or Amendola?