Isaiah Stanback

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
It will come down to Hurd and Stanback.

Stanback will have to be very impressive as a receiver to make the team imo because Hurd is so good on Special teams Coverage.

If Stanback doesn't show a lot next year I expect him to be gone because Hurd is just to good on Special teams and thats what we need out of our 5th guy.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I could see them letting Hurd or Danny go before him simply because they drafted him where they did. They might give him one more season and be willing to part ways with one of those guys before him.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
theogt;2439929 said:
Maybe a very late pick if it's absolutely a value pick, but why would anyone expect an UDFA to come in and beat Stanback or Amendola?

Amendola made it to the practice squad as a UDFA didn't he? Who is to say we don't find better? I don't know if we will or won't but Amendola is far from having his job secure. I don't wish bad on him just saying when you are in his position your job is on the line as new guys start coming in.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2439946 said:
Amendola made it to the practice squad as a UDFA didn't he? Who is to say we don't find better? I don't know if we will or won't but Amendola is far from having his job secure. I don't wish bad on him just saying when you are in his position your job is on the line as new guys start coming in.
Of course there's competition, but to expect the competition to win out at this point in time over existing, experienced guys is what is strange. We gave Miles Austin his time here and look how he's turned out. He looked as bad or worse than Stanback at this point in his career and he had the benefit of actually playing receiver in college.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
theogt;2439949 said:
Of course there's competition, but to expect the competition to win out at this point in time over existing, experienced guys is what is strange. We gave Miles Austin his time here and look how he's turned out. He looked as bad or worse than Stanback at this point in his career and he had the benefit of actually playing receiver in college.

Its not at all.

When you are that deep on the roster talent usually wins out over experience.

We gave Miles Austin his time here because he is 6'3, 215, and a blazer.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
theogt;2439949 said:
Of course there's competition, but to expect the competition to win out over existing, experienced guys is what is strange.

Amendola will not have that much experiance. All I'm saying is it is not uncommon for a young player to come into camp and impress coaches just as Amendola did this past training camp. There are many talented young guys out there who will be looking for an oppertunity just as Amendola did. One thing that has hurt Amendola is he has not done enough to even make the special teams unit.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
CATCH17;2439956 said:
Its not at all.

When you are that deep on the roster talent usually wins out over experience.

We gave Miles Austin his time here because he is 6'3, 215, and a blazer.
And that's why we're giving Stanback his time.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
theogt;2439962 said:
And that's why we're giving Stanback his time.

And I agree with all that.

Stanbacks size and speed ration is/was worth the gamble.

I just think if he doesn't stand out next year it will be tough to keep him because Hurd would be more valuable to this team as the 5th receiver than Stanback would be as the 5th receiver.

I also think there is an outside chance Crayton could be traded.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
CATCH17;2439966 said:
And I agree with all that.

Stanbacks size and speed ration is/was worth the gamble.

I just think if he doesn't stand out next year it will be tough to keep him because Hurd would be more valuable to this team as the 5th receiver than Stanback would be as the 5th receiver.

I also think there is an outside chance Crayton could be traded.

Agreed. If he doesn't come on strong in TC I don't see how we justify keeping him.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
JPostSam;2439636 said:
i don't care how much talent you have, you have to SHOW something. don't know about you, but i haven't seen anything from him yet. (would like to, but haven't.)

does stanback even make the team next year?

let's see:

owens
williams
crayton
austin
hurd

that's five receivers right there. looks like stanback is going to be fighting amendola for his spot next spring.

(...on the other hand, that's a pretty good group of five. add in witten and martellus bennett, and that group -- when healthy -- could break a scoreboard.)

it's just frustrating to get all the hype about guys and have them pretty much fizzle. bobby carpenter? ugh. pat watkins? just a guy. stanback? either nothing special, or too hurt to show it. hatcher? not exactly leon lett.

...of course, the consolation is in guys like ratliff, crayton and romo.
Four Words: Johnnie Lee Higgins Jr

We send them Stanback and Carpenter, we get Higgins

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Crayton traded? Hmmm...interesting thought. I had not given it much thought but I figured with the new deal that they weren't going to think to heavily of doing it.

I could see them thinking about it a lot more heavily if Austin could stay healthy this year long enough to show that he'd be an even better #3 than PC (And I'm not saying he would or wouldn't but he's just not staying on the field long enough to show that he would or wouldn't).

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
adbutcher;2439897 said:
You would think that this place would learn about snap judgments especially with all of the wrong snap judgments.

Some times it just pays to sit back and see what is going to happen instead of pontificating about how good or bad a player is and getting it completely wrong.

I'd say at this point this is no longer a 'snap judgement'.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I guess I don't see why there's so much angst over Stanback. He was drafted as a project. He's in his 2nd year and he's the low man on the totem pole behind some very good receivers.

IIRC, the training camp observations suggested that Stanback's development is where Austin and Hurd was this time last year. He's still very raw and new into his WR conversion. So maybe his development will follow the same path as those two.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2439942 said:
I could see them letting Hurd or Danny go before him simply because they drafted him where they did. They might give him one more season and be willing to part ways with one of those guys before him.

That would absolutely piss me off. Where you were drafted should have little to do with your tenure on a football team. If you suck, you suck. Obviously, teams tend to give 1st and 2nd rounders more time to show what they've got because of the amount of money invested, but for 4th and 5th rounders, money should not be an issue. Keeping the best players should be an issue.

Stanback is an athlete. Amendola is a football player. Personally, I prefer football players on my team. I'm not saying Amendola is a lock for making the team next year, but it seemed pretty obvious that the team liked him a lot, but that it was his physical limitations that held him back. Given a year of conditioning and strength training, the kid might have a shot. He's already shown more as a football player than Stanback and Jefferson ever had....he just wasn't on the same level as far as athleticism. Haters can scream and yell about that fumble all they want, but they'll likely forget about Stanback's fumble, and the fact that he looks like crap running routes and has only had 2 decent returns out of about 20 attempts.

Stanback's fragility isn't very promising either.

Angus

Reaction score
The people complaining about Stanback this year are likely the same ones who were complaining about Austin last year.

It takes time.

:)

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2440017 said:
I guess I don't see why there's so much angst over Stanback. He was drafted as a project. He's in his 2nd year and he's the low man on the totem pole behind some very good receivers.

IIRC, the training camp observations suggested that Stanback's development is where Austin and Hurd was this time last year. He's still very raw and new into his WR conversion. So maybe his development will follow the same path as those two.

People may have suggested that, but I haven't seen it. IMO, Austin, Hurd, Urban, AND Rector showed more potential than Stanback in the same amount of time....and they weren't injured several times over that time period...nor did we have to use a mid-round draft pick on them.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Angus;2440031 said:
The people complaining about Stanback this year are likely the same ones who were complaining about Austin last year.

It takes time.

There is definitely some truth to that. :eek:: I had a month or two where is was pretty down on Austin. I'm glad he's turned it around. I'd be equally pleased if Stanback does the same....but I just don't see it happening.

From what little I've seen from Stanback as a receiver, he just looks so unnatural running routes and catching, I have a very hard time seeing him being a successful conversion. His KO returns have been pretty hit or miss too...but like Theogt said, it's not like our special teams blocking has been all world.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Angus;2440031 said:

It takes time.

More then likely. The cycle continues and more times then not people that don't give players at least 3 seasons end up completely wrong.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
adbutcher;2440043 said:
More then likely. The cycle continues and more times then not people that don't give players at least 3 seasons end up completely wrong.

Actually, I've given the benefit of the doubt more often than not (i.e. Bobby Carpenter)...and I've been wrong more often than not. I'd disagree strongly if you think Stanback, even given another full season, has good odds at being successful.