Isaiah Stanback

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
tomson75;2440032 said:
People may have suggested that, but I haven't seen it. IMO, Austin, Hurd, Urban, AND Rector showed more potential than Stanback in the same amount of time....and they weren't injured several times over that time period...nor did we have to use a mid-round draft pick on them.
FWIW, that statement was from the coach's mouth..not a blogger's observation. I'll try to look for the blurb. But what it suggested to me is that the coaches see him taking the next step next year.

As for what Austin et al showed there first two years, remember they came in already seasoned as WRs. Stanback did not. Looks like your holding Stanback's draft status against him. It wasn't his fault he was drafted where he was. If he was drafted in the 7th round like Crayton, wouldn't hear a peep out of folks about it.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2440072 said:
FWIW, that statement was from the coach's mouth..not a blogger's observation. I'll try to look for the blurb. But what it suggested to me is that the coaches see him taking the next step next year.

As for what Austin et al showed there first two years, remember they came in already seasoned as WRs. Stanback did not. Looks like your holding Stanback's draft status against him. It wasn't his fault he was drafted where he was. If he was drafted in the 7th round like Crayton, wouldn't hear a peep out of folks about it.

That's just it....I'm not holding anything against him outside of that I think he's not a good football player. I'm holding the team responsible for drafting him were they did. I'm clearly not a fan of 'conversion projects', as has been well documented. They don't work more often than not, they take too much time to develop, and and the benefits of those that do develop are only marginal over drafting a player that was comfortable playing the position in the first place. I'd rather draft three Austins/Craytons/Urbans in the late rounds and find out wether they can play relatively fast....rather than draft one conversion guy, and not know what you've got until four years later.

My only problem with Stanback is that he looks unnatural and uncomfortable in the limited time that I've been able to watch him...it's not a knock on his draft status...at least not a knock directed at the player himself.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
tomson75;2440094 said:
That's just it....I'm not holding anything against him outside of that I think he's not a good football player. I'm holding the team responsible for drafting him were they did. I'm clearly not a fan of 'conversion projects', as has been well documented. They don't work more often than not, they take too much time to develop, and and the benefits of those that do develop are only marginal over drafting a player that was comfortable playing the position in the first place. I'd rather draft three Austins/Craytons/Urbans in the late rounds and find out wether they can play relatively fast....rather than draft one conversion guy, and not know what you've got until four years later.

My only problem with Stanback is that he looks unnatural and uncomfortable in the limited time that I've been able to watch him...it's not a knock on his draft status...at least not a knock directed at the player himself.
You know who looked horribly uncomfortable last year catching the ball? As if he didn't know how to use his body or adjust to the ball?

Oh yes, Steinbach's good friend Austin Miles.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
tomson75;2440094 said:

It's okay the boys will draft Pat White in the 4th round and put him at WR.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
theogt;2440104 said:
You know who looked horribly uncomfortable last year catching the ball? As if he didn't know how to use his body or adjust to the ball?

Lmao...I know...I see...I think...I guess...

tomson75;2440038 said:
There is definitely some truth to that. :eek:: I had a month or two where is was pretty down on Austin. I'm glad he's turned it around. I'd be equally pleased if Stanback does the same....but I just don't see it happening.

;)

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
theogt;2440104 said:

So true. Coming into last offseason the biggest complaint at WR, other than PC being the #2, was that Austin had all that speed but couldn't catch.

Funny how things have now changed and it's not even a year later yet.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2440106 said:
It's okay the boys will draft Pat White in the 4th round and put him at WR.

Haha..I've already ranted about that thought a few months ago.

...the funny thing is....it almost looks as if White has come around as an actual QB. He's improved remarkably in the passing game. I've only watched two WVU games this year (I usually watch 6-7), but rumor has it, some NFL scouts are looking at him at QB. He'd be sick down in Miami.

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
Well I really don't understand the venom in this thread for Stanback. Has he done much? Not really, but how could you when you have all the people who need the ball like we do on our roster.

There just isn't much to judge him on.

Do I think he pans out, no. But there really hasn't been much that we can see him on with the reciever and tight ends we have, he will not get a chance at the ball.

JPostSam

Reaction score
Angus;2440031 said:
The people complaining about Stanback this year are likely the same ones who were complaining about Austin last year.

It takes time.

:)

well, i'm the original poster, and i didn't complain about austin. i'm not really complaining about stanbak, either. i'm just expressing my disappointment with his lack of performance. for a guy who everyone said was a "wow" player, i haven't seen more than a yawn from him. when miles austin and sam hurd were questionable players and before roy williams was brought in, i understood waiting on stanback. but austin and hurd have shown that they can bring value to the team, and stanback just hasn't made much of a case for himself. i hope he does something to make us all notice him.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
tomson75;2440116 said:
Haha..I've already ranted about that thought a few months ago.

...the funny thing is....it almost looks as if White has come around as an actual QB. He's improved remarkably in the passing game. I've only watched two WVU games this year (I usually watch 6-7), but rumor has it, some NFL scouts are looking at him at QB. He'd be sick down in Miami.

Yea he can pass a little bit IDK if it's enough to make him a full time QB.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I want to see him throw and run from the wildcat formation.

Why we didn't see it yet when Romo was out is a mystery and an error by Garrett.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
JPostSam;2439636 said:
i don't care how much talent you have, you have to SHOW something. don't know about you, but i haven't seen anything from him yet. (would like to, but haven't.)

does stanback even make the team next year?

let's see:

owens
williams
crayton
austin
hurd

that's five receivers right there. looks like stanback is going to be fighting amendola for his spot next spring.

(...on the other hand, that's a pretty good group of five. add in witten and martellus bennett, and that group -- when healthy -- could break a scoreboard.)

it's just frustrating to get all the hype about guys and have them pretty much fizzle. bobby carpenter? ugh. pat watkins? just a guy. stanback? either nothing special, or too hurt to show it. hatcher? not exactly leon lett.

...of course, the consolation is in guys like ratliff, crayton and romo.

What makes Amendola any better to make the team over Stanback. Amendola has not shown anything. He's a name, and a name only that everyone is high on for some reason. Maybe he will turn out great. But for now, I will stay with Stanback.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
jazzcat22;2440273 said:
What makes Amendola any better to make the team over Stanback. Amendola has not shown anything. He's a name, and a name only that everyone is high on for some reason. Maybe he will turn out great. But for now, I will stay with Stanback.

He's arguably done more than Stanback, and in considerably less time, and without injury. His only real knock was his strength and size. He can improve his strength easier than Stanback can increase his WR instincts.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
tomson75;2440319 said:
He's arguably done more than Stanback, and in considerably less time, and without injury. His only real knock was his strength and size. He can improve his strength easier than Stanback can increase his WR instincts.

Miles Austin was in the same boat as Stanback last year.

A lot of people thought Austin was the odd guy out and possibly going to be cut this season.

Now hes looking to most likely be our #2 when TO calls it a career.

Patience is the key with these raw athletes. Stanbacks potential is much higher than Amendolas.

There are several short, quick footed receivers that are still in College that i'd like to see on our roster over Amendola as well.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
CATCH17;2440333 said:
Miles Austin was in the same boat as Stanback last year.

A lot of people thought Austin was the odd guy out and possibly going to be cut this season.

Now hes looking to most likely be our #2 when TO calls it a career.

Patience is the key with these raw athletes. Stanbacks potential is much higher than Amendolas.

There are several short, quick footed receivers that are still in College that i'd like to see on our roster over Amendola as well.

People keep comparing Stanback to Austin like history is likely to repeat itself. Austin has never looked as bad as Stanback when it comes to being a WR. Sure, he was dropping a ton of passes, but at least he was getting open for them. Stanback is no where near where Austin was last year IMO.

Stanback's potential is all he has at this point....and that's only because he's athletic.

Football players > Athletes

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
theogt;2440104 said:

You know who else looked uncomfortable? Jacques Reeves... oh wait... Bobby Carpenter? No, that won't work either... Tyson Thompson? Julius Jones? Crap.

Stanback is a project, that's for sure, and his potential is why he's around to begin with, but no one knows how this will end. In my mind, Roy's addition helped no one more than Stanback since now we can afford to keep working on him.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I say we showcase Stanback and then trade him to little Danny Snyder in the offseason for a corner. or a draft pick.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
Angus;2440031 said:
The people complaining about Stanback this year are likely the same ones who were complaining about Austin last year.

It takes time.

:)
Let's say that Stanback can be a Randel El-esque type of WR. Randel El is a #2 WR at best. He wasn't an immediate starter, but did at least contribute on special teams.

Stanback doesn't have to have WR skills to be do something on Special Teams, if anything, it's a good opportunity to show off his raw athletic skills.

Stanback's stats:
2 rec. 24yds
11 KO returns, 218yds

Johnnie Lee Higgins, Drafted 3rd Round, #99 (4 picks ahead of Stanback and a guy I wanted Dallas to pick)

Higgins' stats:
14 rec. 214yds 1TD
36 KO returns 842yds
53 Punt returns 514yds 2TDs

He's not an amazing player, but...Higgins contributes. The fact is that unless they expect Stanback to be some kind of phenom (a legit #1/#2 WR), why put so much effort into developing him?

As others have pointed out, he could be injury prone. There is talent out there that doesn't need as much development as Stanback does. Maybe I'm impatient, but I just don't get it.

Oh..and can Stanback do this? :p
http://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v22/pfjunkie/Football/09000d5d80cbab1c_gallery_600.jpg

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
You've kind of got to see the field to show what you've got...first things first for Stanback are to get healthy and then get some snaps other than kick returns.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Do you remember that he has an unstable shoulder that will need surgery in the offseason. If anything gets him now that will be it. If he can stay healthy he has a shot at being a NFL WR. How good is uncertain but he has all the incredients. He needs to stay healthy long enough to both be evaluated and do the work he needs to do to be a player in the NFL.