News: It’s still early, but Cowboys offense showing signs of growth under Kellen Moore

scottsp

Reaction score
Yeah, no clarification needed for the infamous AI quote. At least for me.

And there really isn’t much to evaluate yet, since the offense has yet to meet resistance in any form.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I’m not worried about KM’s offensive genius, not worried about what he’s installing, not worried about his schemes, his changes, his concepts, his personnel groups. I can accept that he has impressed owners, coaches, and players.

I expect the offense to struggle this year, especially early on, not because his offensive plan isn’t good, but because I don’t yet trust a guy’s first endeavor at calling plays quickly and effectively during the game. I no longer expect DC’s to be trying to confuse Dak in his 4th year. I think they will be changing things up quickly to confuse a new play caller. How many delay of game penalties will we see? How many wasted time outs?

I’m not expecting total disaster, but just how smoothly and perfectly do we expect it to be called and executed. Will we get to the line with the play early enough for Dak and others to make reads and adjustments? If there is a problem only 5% of the time in the first half of the season, that’s enough to foul up several possessions per game.

I think some growing pains are to be expected, but the season can be lost very quickly, and if KM struggles even a little with the speed of calling plays from the sideline, will Garrett move him to the high box and take over play calling?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
That’s actually a very positive move, unless it has been similarly tested in past pre-seasons and abandoned when it counts. Doesn’t sound like it though, so never too early.
Pretty sure they did this last year too.

The thing of this whole new passing offense or whatever Moore is bringing in is that...the Cowboys are still built to be a running team. They're not going to all of a sudden be slinging the ball around the field 50 times a game.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Oh, please.

If the title of the article was, "It's still early, but Cowboys offense looks to be getting worse", we'd all have the same reaction.

How the hell can you evaluate whether anything is getting better or worse at this point?
If someone said they're doing the same old thing right now, half the people on this board would declare the season over.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
The third, and final piece of evidence we have received after two weeks of OTA practices, is the use of 10-personnel in the red-zone. Multiple sources have reported that the Cowboys have shown in practices that the closer they get to the goal line, the more spreading out they are doing with their wide receivers. For years, the Cowboys have went with a “load it up, and run it approach” when facing third and short, and close to the goal line, but it seems as if that could change.

When spreading the offense out in 10-personnel, you’re doing a few different things to help the offense’s chances of picking up more yardage. First, with more receivers on the field, that means defenses will likely stay in a nickel or dime look, which means that there will be more defensive backs on the field than linebackers, the weaker the tacklers the better odds Elliott and Co. can pick up more yardage on the ground. In this case, that’s exactly what the Cowboys want when running the football near the goal line and in favorable down and distances. Second, spreading the defense out gives the Cowboys either 1) favorable box looks when running the football, or 2) favorable outside looks when passing the football. If opposing defenses still want to crowd the box in the red-zone and on the goal line when Dallas shows 10-personnel, than the passing game should flourish. If they want to play it straight with four-to-five defensive backs on the field, than the running game should flourish. Either way you look at it, the Cowboys are showing the ability to adapt and not continue to run into brick walls when in the red-zone, on the goal line, and in third and shorts.

While it’s still a little too early to get really excited, there is still enough evidence floating around from pictures, videos, to post/pre-practice interviews that gives the sense that the Dallas Cowboys offense could evolve in 2019. If so, a major nod should be given to Kellen Moore, and even Jason Garrett for promoting the former quarterback after just one season as the team's QB coach.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...se-showing-signs-of-growth-under-kellen-moore

Jerry promoted Kellen Moore. That's who I give the nod to. I still have to think about what i would give a nod to Garrett for..........

DanA

Reaction score
I've never heard it until now, myself...maybe because I don't watch basketball?

A part of it is a drop on "The Break" and "Talking Cowboys" just about every single episode. That's the inside joke, if you are listener/view these shows regularly it will have been familiar.

Aven8

Reaction score
What a concept! Spreading it out to let the best back in the league or a QB that’s built like a truck to run it in?!?

I hope to see it. Not the “out physical” 12 personnel that has been holding us back forever.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
A part of it is a drop on "The Break" and "Talking Cowboys" just about every single episode. That's the inside joke, if you are listener/view these shows regularly it will have been familiar.
I'm not. I guess that's why I don't recognize it, thanks!

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Excuse me, but I wasn't being negative. I was quoting Allen Iverson. It was a inside joke for those that know. Negative Nancies call people out of their name and tell them to zip their mouths. So if you ever read a post telling someone to shut up and disappear the person who wrote that is a grade A Negative Nancy. And they will always apply a negative condemnation on someone else's post. So thank you for your participation in my demonstration of what a Negative Nancy really is. Have a great day.
Always go with a gif.
giphy.gif

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
All jokes aside the, “Growth” is changing the formation to something different...:clap: