It has to be asked because it's definitely possible

_sturt_

Reaction score
Well as I keep having to remind people, Joe Montana in his prime was benched in a playoff game for poor play, mainly because a guy who would go on to win six passing titles and 2 MVPs was on the bench. It was not a permanent move (Joe would go on to help the 49ers collect two more Super Bowl wins) nor was it a statement. They just wanted to win that game and survive for another week and Joe just didn't have it that day.

I don't remember that, but I'm not doubting you're right.... when and against who did that happen?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
@TwoDeep3 has already touched on the subject. The vast majority of football follows the living and dying by the sword analogy. The decision makers had the stones for making a rookie the permanent starting quarterback. It's a true gamble not unlike the one or two Jerry Jones made before he bought the team. The decision was fully and totally embraced. It's a done deal.

Now live with the triumphs or failures that go with that decision. Don't wimp out. Or more importantly, don't sell out. Stand fast. Rejoice if the decision brings home a Lombardi. Or face the endless questioning that will follow if a championship isn't won (just don't weakly put Romo out front as a PR shield again). Put up. Shut up. Man up.

(Edit: Barring injury of course :p ) Just my opinion. Go Cowboys.

Last edited:

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As long as we use the entire field and don't drop back and sit in the pocket it won't be an issue.

Dak is the only quarterback on the team capable of leading us to a Superbowl

With playoff caliber defenses Romo will be chewing turf in no time

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's weird if it wasn't for the human aspect of it all the best option would literally be to play both guys and see who looks best.

It's kinda clear romo is the big play guy with more pop in his arm. But dak is the safer guy who holds onto the ball and plays steady. Dak may be the best guy for this offense. And romo may be the best guy in a shootout

I think that's a great observation.
:thumbup:

Aven8

Reaction score
Don't think JG will do it, UNLESS Jerry comes down to the sideline like the old days. If you have noticed he hasn't done that all year.

_sturt_

Reaction score
It's weird if it wasn't for the human aspect of it all the best option would literally be to play both guys and see who looks best.

It's kinda clear romo is the big play guy with more pop in his arm. But dak is the safer guy who holds onto the ball and plays steady. Dak may be the best guy for this offense. And romo may be the best guy in a shootout

I think there's some truth to that. Maybe, a lot.

Wasn't Morton the safer guy once upon a time, and Staubach the best guy in a shootout? I can't say for sure because I was just in grade school, and in the era when TV antennas were king, the CBS affiliate was the one we had most trouble getting.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
It would have to be an epic failure of a performance by Dak to bring Romo in.

Otherwise, you give the guy who got you to 13-3 (really 13-2) a chance to correct.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
the qb decision has already been made its dak sink or swim the only way tony gets in is if dak gets hurt and this is as it should be the hc and fo made a choice to move on from tony so now is the time to see what the outcome of your choice is

flosho

Reaction score
If we are struggling on offense we need to make a change. Just like in the world series, your ace pitcher might come out flat and get lit up for 4 or 5 runs, and get pulled after an inning or two.

Dhragon

Deadly Claws of Death
Reaction score
Against the Eagles ( the first time ) Dak played poorly for 3 Qtrs then got hot in the 4th and pulled out the win.

You don't pull Dak if he struggles in the playoffs either. He is just as capable of getting hot at any time as Romo would be.

DC Cowboy

Reaction score
The playoffs are different animal.
Loser go home.

What if: Dak is confused and lost in a game? Ie. Vs Giants.

1. Will Garrett put Romo in?
a.) After halftime?
b.) Sometime in 3rd quarter?
c.) In the 4th quarter?

This is not a slight or dig on either QB? It's not. I HAVE OFTEN SAID... I DONT CARE OF "MADEA" QB's US TO SB WIN. I JUST WANT #6.

Im talking in-game, real game playoff game.

What do we do?
d.) leave Dak in and let him learn for next year?
e.) let Romo "save" a game and then let Dak start next one?

Because I am a Cowboys fan, IF Dak is struggling I don't have a problem with giving Romo a shot to see if he can provide the team a spark.

Ultra Warrior

6 Million Light-years beyond believability.
Reaction score
I think Dak stays in there no matter how big of a hole he could potentially have to crawl out of, UNLESS he gets injured & Romo HAS to come in.
If this is in fact "Dak's team", then he'd have to eat the loss, just as Romo would have to do if he were in there.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Great posts guys. I'm glad this thread wasn't blown up into QB vs QB. Thank you.

Ok, below are the scenarios I was thinking about.

Only if they're being shutout I could see them giving romo the two minute drill just before the half to see if he kicks anything into gear.

If being shutout or very very close like 14-10 but it looks like Dak ain't gonna get us in for a TD.
I pout Romo in.

And then.... if this is happening.

If they wait until 21-3, I'd just prefer they didn't do it at all.

You give Dak one drive after half time.
Then if he doesn't get us a TD.
Put Romo in.

_sturt_

Reaction score
I'll go further than some and say this... that, more than Dak earning the right to correct his game, Garrett has earned the respect sufficient for me to assume he'll know if/when it's time to pull Dak and send Tony in.

Fingers crossed that we don't even have to have that conversation, though, because our O-line and Zeke are controlling these next 3 games from the git-go.