It is lucrative to be a cowboys QB

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Dak is unlikely to win anything in excess of a division title, at best, with the defense being such a weak link. Whatever contract he's able to be granted by Dallas remains to be seen. He surely is getting some lucrative deals from the Cowboys' sponsors, though. He needs to be practical by leaving his team sufficient funds to improve their defense enough to compete above a mediocre level. Otherwise, it will most likely invite more of the same results.

Last edited:

Motorola

Reaction score
Say what you want about Romo and Dak being overrated as quarterbacks but they both absolutely earned their stripes as Cowboys quarterbacks. Romo was an undrafted quarterback who worked his butt off to have a good career. Dak went from a 4th round pick to the starting quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. The man led the team to the best record in the league in 2016 with Romo breathing down his neck.
2016 NFL season: the New England Patriots had the best record in the league at 14-2.

Motorola

Reaction score
Roger's massive fortune was primarily made after his football career but was certainly primed by having been QB1 of the Dallas Cowboys.
Troy and Tony are well on their way to amassing great wealth.
Aikman will be starting his third decade as FOX Sports lead NFL broadcast analyst this fall, and Tony will be entering his 5th year in the equivalent role for CBS Sports. Both have endorsement deals on multiple levels (local, regional, national).

visionary

Reaction score
So your suggesting that folks turned down higher bids just to sell to Staubach???? No one turns down more money on property just to say I sold to Roger.

The other thing with economic growth in DFW and Texas was all the companies from the Northeast US relocating to Texas in the early 80's. I would bet half the folks on this board are transplants or their parents were.

The other factor was the hour long commercial that was the show Dallas that raised the profile nation wide all during the 80's.

If you don’t understand the business of money it is best to be quiet

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Dak is unlikely to win anything in excess of a division title, at best, with the defense being such a weak link. Whatever contract he's able to be granted by Dallas remains to be seen. He surely is getting some lucrative deals from the Cowboys' sponsors, though. He needs to be practical by leaving his team sufficient funds to improve their defense enough to compete above a mediocre level. Otherwise, it will most likely invite more of the same results.
This!!!!!

Garddog

Reaction score
If you don’t understand the business of money it is best to be quiet

If what I say doesn't jive with your narrative is what you mean.

All the factors I listed are why people with a decent amount of money got rich around Dallas. A name might get you a meeting, but cold hard cash is what drives business. No one is giving anyone deals in the real world of business because they are a fanboy!

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
If what I say doesn't jive with your narrative is what you mean.

All the factors I listed are why people with a decent amount of money got rich around Dallas. A name might get you a meeting, but cold hard cash is what drives business. No one is giving anyone deals in the real world of business because they are a fanboy!
. "A name might get you a meeting" that along with a name for good business. Now we are on to something. Not every transaction has to be out of the park as long as its flowing.

I closed 3 deals last week because.

1. They know someone i have worked with in the past for many years.

2. They understand if something not right i will correct it within reason.

Last edited:

Garddog

Reaction score
. "A name might get you a meeting" that along with a name for good business. Now we are on to something. Not every transaction has to be out of the park as long as its flowing.

I closed 3 deals last week because.

1. They know someone i have worked with in the past for many years.

2. They understand if something not right i will correct it within reason.

Number 2 drives 1 and reputation in how you handle your business is by far bigger than anything that made you famous or known before.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
Number 2 drives 1 and reputation in how you handle your business is by far bigger than anything that made you famous or known before.
You are just not going to give up the ghost here. I can respect that but, "Captain America" opened many doors that otherwise would have been a maybe to NO.

Its that simple. I appreciated your take we will just agree to disagree.

Mr_437

Reaction score
The current players looked at Roger's success, and all have brands now to monetize being a Cowboy...play on the field be damned. :grin:

Loso86

Reaction score
very good point.
And I get the whole get all the money you deserve thing. But just dont complain like russell Wilson is about not having a good oline or complain about no targets.

Loso86

Reaction score
This is the reason I'm not behind maxing Dak out. He is at best an above average QB, who will need play makers around him to succeed, a fact he should be aware of. Another fact he should be aware of is that all the endorsement wealth he is and will have the opportunity to cash in on, is due to which helmet he puts on, and not who he is as a player.

I do think hes top 10. But he has to know if he drains for every penny he should never complain about not having enough talent or the D isn't good or he gets sacked to much like Wilson.. leave a little for your (brother) to eat too. I would feel bad if I made 50 plus mil in sponsorships a year and 35 plus in contracts a year and my so called brother who I want to keep cant gets 7 mil a year deal because you wouldnt give up 2..lol that was a lot but you get it. I'm rare I guess and would say ok I'll take a few million less but whos getting it or where will we spend it

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I really hope Dallas finds the right combination to get the ship turned around. The once storied franchise and coined "America's team" has seen some grim times as of late.

So much so and entire new generation "The millennial" really does not understand what all the fuss is all about.

I myself am a lifer and wear the star proud every day.

Sorry, back to my point.:laugh:

3 Cowboys made the top 30 richest QB's to ever play the game.

1. Tony Romo #17

2. Troy Aikman #20

3. Roger Staubach....................#1

GettyImages-451178336-1.jpg
"Captian America's" Net worth is 600 Mil..:omg::omg:

Roger got his money because of his commercial real estate business, had nothing to do with playing football. Going to Annapolis or West Point is a great start for anyone career once they leave the military

HungryLion

Reaction score
Didn’t Staubach make most of his money with his own business? Not from playing football?

I mean I guess football seed money and name recognition helps in business but...

Winonesoon

Reaction score
I don't think the OP was saying that all the money is from just football contracts.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't think the OP was saying that all the money is from just football contracts.

True but I see QB on other teams with those high dollar endorsement deals. I don't think being a Dallas QB affords him more. As for Roger he did not make a lot as a QB compared to his peers of those days. Roger however took the education he received from Annapolis and built a great commercial real estate business

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Being the QB of the Cowboys had nothing to do with Staubach's wealth. 2.5 mil population in DFW in 1980. 6.5 mil in DFW in 2020. If you take in all the towns within 40 miles, population is even more.

Roger and his business partner bought real estate that was cheap that later turned into commercial property. And he didn't get most of that wealth till they sold the company. Smart and shrewd business man. But almost anyone with a bit of money could buy property anywhere around DFW in early 80's and make 5 to 10 times back or more over the next 20 years.
This! Roger’s business success and wealth was certainly aided by his name recognition as a Cowboy. But watching his post football business career is a textbook example of guy who is a brilliant businessman more than a beneficiary of having a star on his helmet.