It kills me to say this about Roy *Merge*

jack2

Reaction score
Seems to me that Roy since last year is not quite the same player that he used to be, at first it was because they said he was to heavy, but this year even with the lost weight he seems slow to run and to react, and seems to miss a lot of tackles (his strength), he has been shown up the last two weeks, would it not be a good time to play Watkins a bit more in his place and see what comes of it? Watkins appears to be a better player than his rookie season!

parchy

Reaction score
I had the knee-jerk "not this crap again" reaction too, but hold up...

At a glance this doesn't seem like such a good idea, but think about it. Hamlin is a slow(er) FS who has good positioning and not necessarily good breaks or outstanding coverage to attribute to his picks this season. I don't think anybody would or should feel safe with him in one-on-one coverage with any receiver... which happens in our zones.

Hamlin also hits like a dump truck and is a slightly better version of what Roy was when he played FS when Woody was still here. Hamlin is a much better tackler than coverage guy, but he's still solid back there. Put Patty Wat back there will him, who's a rangy cover guy who, admittedly, is still learning the position, and I think you've got a better combo than what we have now.

That leaves the question of what to do with Roy Destroy. I still think he's good enough that you can't keep him off the field for too long, but why not stick him at LB in the nickel more often, as they've done sporadically this year I believe. Get him on some linebackers and in the flats, where he's the most dominant.

Not SUCH a dumb idea, if you ask me. With how bad Campbell burned us, a shake-up back there is worth a try.

tunahelper

Reaction score
Put Hamlin in at SS and Watkins in at FS.

This is used already in the nickel/Dime units anyway.

sacase

Reaction score
Don't let facts get in the way your your agenda people.

BiffWellingtonIII

Reaction score
It really does, he's such a GREAT tackler and hitter, he does some of the hardest things with the ease of a HOF player. That open field tackle on 3rd down on that loud mouth Cooley was a textbook take down he wrapped and dragged him down - dead in this tracks. If you've ever played football, you know that at the point of impact your eyes close naturally and many times, you bounce off the target, not Roy.

He was a demon when paired with Woodson, we fell in love with him the way we fell in love with Cliff Harris, Charlie Waters and Bill Bates and he loves being a Dallas Cowboy, he loves the fans.

However all that said, watching him cover the past two games has been painful , bloody painful. It almost looks as if he doesn't know how to play the game, how to play the man, who to cover, where to be. And now, Wade is pulling him in big spots, that has to kill him, that has to make the guys around him wonder about the money he makes, that has to make Jerry and sons think about how they can unload this player who quite frankly has become a disaster and a target for the Network analysts who love to circle him and show you how bad he is.

Roy has also become hard to defend when you hear over and over that he's a locker-room fingerpointer, a "who me?" guy. That's unacceptable.

I really hope Wade and Co. do some coaching, maybe bring Darren back for some help and film breakdown.

I'm not sure there's a solution to Roy Williams he really is the ultimate tweener, the ultimate paradox, the ultimate conundrum.

Achozen

Sounds From The Lair
Reaction score
I don't want to see Roy covering anyone one on one. I'd rather see Watkins in that situation. Roy should be used to cover a back out the backfield or just sit in a short zone reading the QB.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
I think about how much a playmaker Roy used to be, even as soon as last year, leading the team in INT's and laying some big game-changing hits down. However, isn't it weird how as soon as Roy got his big contract, his play declined heavily? I'm starting to be convinced that Roy could be another "Shaun Alexander," where after he gets the big pay day, he becomes lazy as a player. Now I hope I'm wrong, but I think we can all agree that most of us are not frustrated at Roy that he's giving up plays in the passing game (he's always done that), but rather the big plays that HE'S not making that we're so inclined to seeing every year. Roy has become lazy as a player, even 20 pounds lighter with a fat contract. Thoughts?

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
Thoughts?
My thought is, Roy is best SS we have on the roster and we can only hope the he makes the plays because he isn't going anywhere, anytime soon.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
whatever the reasons are for his play or lack there of, it needs to get figured out one way or another

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Holy hell people, is it this hard to look at the front page of the board and put your thoughts in the Anti Roy thread that already exists? newsflash these thoughts are not unique and not special enough to deserve their own thread

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
TheSport78;1778004 said:
However, isn't it weird how as soon as Roy got his big contract, his play declined heavily? I'm starting to be convinced that Roy could be another "Shaun Alexander," where after he gets the big pay day, he becomes lazy as a player.

Roy led the team in interceptions AFTER getting his big contract. He also led all starting safeties in the NFL in interceptions AFTER getting his big contract and led all safeties in takeaways AFTER getting his big contract.

Woods

Reaction score
I'll probably get bashed for this, but I'm not going to write him off so quickly.

Our entire secondary has been somewhat inconsistent (along with the LBs in the passing game).

RW is tackling well the last few weeks. The stop on Cooley last game on 3rd down was huge. He made a few good hits as well vs. Washington.

Do I think he can improve his coverage? Sure. He's got a lot of room to improve. But I'm still holding out hope.

Realistically speaking, JJ isn't going to cut him, and we're not going to trade him. RW needs to improve his game, like some other guys on defense as well.

I think he'll do his best to continue to improve.

Finally, let's remember that Shockey and Cooley aren't exactly slouches either. I'm not sure how many SS can cover these guy consistently one on one . . . .

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Woods;1778023 said:
Finally, let's remember that Shockey and Cooley aren't exactly slouches either. I'm not sure how many SS can cover these guy consistently one on one . . . .

Let's also remember that the majority of their catches came against someone other than Roy.

Woods

Reaction score
AdamJT13;1778034 said:
Let's also remember that the majority of their catches came against someone other than Roy.

In fact, one of his other notable hits was vs. Randel El near the sideline. When Randel El got up, he definitely readjusted some of his gear. (Think the hit was in the 2nd half.)

I think WRs tend to remember some of those hits as games progress . . . .