It might be time for Jason Garrett to re-define what "Right Kinda Guy" means

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
and I expect nothing less from his critics. I will not make excuses for poor behavior of any player and again in some of these instance it was a major risk giving certain players another chance. McClain did he deserve another chance? seems after season 1 many here felt it was the right move until it wasn't yet we all knew there were major question marks. Same with Gregory and really same with Dak who had an off the field issue. I wish I could say all guys who are given 2nd chances are smart enough to take advantage of the opportunity but that is not the case.

I think Cowboys have been doing a much better job of bringing in young talent and winning with these young guys most who are good guys but unfortunately not every guy is going to get it and that falls on them not the organization or the coaches, these are not little boys or even college kids these are grown men accountable for their own actions.

I don't understand how you can shift the blame away from the organization.

Randy Gregory had issues. Everyone knew that coming into the draft. That's why he fell. The question was, how well can you vet this guy to get to the point where you feel confident that those issues won't arise during his NFL career? Gregory being a pothead isn't the Cowboys' fault, but Gregory being a pothead as a member of the Cowboys is the Cowboys' fault.

It's up to Garrett and this front office who is and isn't allowed to wear the star, and they seem to keep bringing in guys who are proving not worthy of wearing it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
No need to apologize . . . we can agree to disagree. To my way of thinking you don't proclaim your team to be dedicated to being the right kind of guys when they're constantly proving otherwise. It should be something that the team strives for not something that's cast about to the general public to whitewash an image that is constantly being tarnished. Cowboys fans might swallow that stuff and there nothing wrong with preaching that to players as an ideal but trying to give the public that impression when they see something else carries an odor of deception. That's my opinion and I disagree with yours just as strongly as you do mine, I assure you. Too bad we don't see eye to eye on this but that's life.

why it was a lot of hard work and dedication by guys last season to accomplish what they did with so much doubt hanging over them. I think many guys fit what Garrett is looking for in players. As I said I hope they continue to look for players who love the game and are self motivated to be the best they can be. I wish I could say every player will be that kind of guy but they won't.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't understand how you can shift the blame away from the organization.

Randy Gregory had issues. Everyone knew that coming into the draft. That's why he fell. The question was, how well can you vet this guy to get to the point where you feel confident that those issues won't arise during his NFL career? Gregory being a pothead isn't the Cowboys' fault, but Gregory being a pothead as a member of the Cowboys is the Cowboys' fault.

It's up to Garrett and this front office who is and isn't allowed to wear the star, and they seem to keep bringing in guys who are proving not worthy of wearing it.

I blame them for giving him a chance and I blame him for taking the once in a life time chances being handed to him and throwing it away. I think the kid has some serious problems and if it were my pick I would have passed him and said that leading up to the draft when so many here felt otherwise. So yes I fault the organization for giving him and 2nd chance. My question back was it a mistake giving Dak a chance? After the Cowboys talked with him (Garrett) in which he grilled Dak according to Dak more than any other Coach he talked with, Garrett came to the conclusion it was worth it to give him a chance. I say this because in the future there will be guys leaving college and entering the draft who likely will have some red flags and some will take the opportunity and make the most of it, some will not

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
I blame them for giving him a chance and I blame him for taking the once in a life time chances being handed to him and throwing it away. I think the kid has some serious problems and if it were my pick I would have passed him and said that leading up to the draft when so many here felt otherwise. So yes I fault the organization for giving him and 2nd chance. My question back was it a mistake giving Dak a chance? After the Cowboys talked with him (Garrett) in which he grilled Dak according to Dak more than any other Coach he talked with, Garrett came to the conclusion it was worth it to give him a chance. I say this because in the future there will be guys living college and entering the draft who likely will have some red flags and some will take the opportunity and make the most of it, some will not

Can we really fully answer yet if drafting Dak was a mistake?

I mean, I'm willing to wager it WASN'T a mistake, and he's learned from his past off-field discretions and won't do it again, but who really knows?

Whether or not Dak ever gets in trouble again, picking him was still continuing a troubling pattern of the Garrett regime - drafting players with off-field problems and... what? Just crossing your fingers and hoping they don't do it again? Sometimes it will work (like Dak - hopefully), but a lot of times it won't, and we've seen plenty of examples of that in the last few years.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
why it was a lot of hard work and dedication by guys last season to accomplish what they did with so much doubt hanging over them. I think many guys fit what Garrett is looking for in players. As I said I hope they continue to look for players who love the game and are self motivated to be the best they can be. I wish I could say every player will be that kind of guy but they won't.

There's nothing wrong with appealing to our players to aspire to a clean-living ideal. That's something we surely can agree upon. Nobody expects everyone to be a choir boy but neither should JG crow about faithfully seeking RKGs when the public can easily see there are far too many failures to whitewash on an ongoing basis. It comes across as righteousness without due merit.

Preach it to the players as an ideal to strive for but not for public consumption. It simply sends a false message to those outside of Cowboys Nation. They hear and read the bad news, not the good. It's time to redirect the RKG mantra to those on the team and not for public consumption. Let the clean actions of the players speak for themselves.

Last edited:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Can we really fully answer yet if drafting Dak was a mistake?

I mean, I'm willing to wager it WASN'T a mistake, and he's learned from his past off-field discretions and won't do it again, but who really knows?

Whether or not Dak ever gets in trouble again, picking him was still continuing a trouble pattern of the Garrett regime - drafting players with off-field problems and... what? Just crossing your fingers and hoping they don't do it again? Sometimes it will work (like Dak - hopefully), but a lot of times it won't, and we've seen plenty of examples of that in the last few years.

True we don't know. Cowboys could just avoid taking chances on any player with any off the field issue that could be hard since many players will have something out there that is a concern. Hard growing up with the back ground many of these kids have and not have something out there. You talk with them and do the best you can to get a sense of who this player is. Frankly if the players of the 70's was dealing with todays 24 hour news cycle not sure many of them could live up to this standard. Bar room fights, drug use and a whole host of issues just were never covered as they are today. NFL and teams try to advise these young kids entering the NFL of pitfalls that are out there and unfortunately many fail to heed the warnings.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with appealing to our players to aspire to a clean-living ideal. That's something we surely can agree upon. Nobody expects everyone to be a choir boy but neither should JG crow about faithfully seeking RKGs when the public can easily see there are far too many failures to whitewash on an ongoing basis. It comes across as righteousness without due merit. Preach it to the players as an ideal to strive for but not for public consumption. It simply sends a false message to those outside of Cowboys Nation. It's time to redirect the RKG mantra to those on the team and not for public consumption.

That is what he seeks, I don't think he is naĂŻve to think all will be that but yes that is what he is looking for in players and I gave a direct quote of what he means by it. I don't think anyone is trying to white wash anything, I think some see Garrett statement and view it differently. I look at a kid like Zeke, he is dedicated, he works hard he is willing to do whatever is asked of him and his talent shows the work he puts in. However when he leaves it falls to him to make grown up choices and conduct himself as an adult.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
That is what he seeks, I don't think he is naĂŻve to think all will be that but yes that is what he is looking for in players and I gave a direct quote of what he means by it. I don't think anyone is trying to white wash anything, I think some see Garrett statement and view it differently. I look at a kid like Zeke, he is dedicated, he works hard he is willing to do whatever is asked of him and his talent shows the work he puts in. However when he leaves it falls to him to make grown up choices and conduct himself as an adult.

We're clearly going around in circles on this. I won't belabor this thing to further bore the membership here with needless repetitive harping on our individual disagreements. I believe Garrett is coming across as a hypocrite by preaching his RKG mantra to the public and you don't -- that sums it up in a nutshell. I don't feel we need to convince one another of our convictions to justify them. Let's simply agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
We're clearly going around in circles on this. I won't belabor this thing to further bore the membership here with needless repetitive harping on our individual disagreements. I believe Garrett is coming across as a hypocrite by preaching his RKG mantra to the public and you don't -- that sums it up in a nutshell. I don't feel we need to convince one another of our convictions to justify them. Let's simply agree to disagree and leave it at that.
So what do y'all u think it is? You think Garrett wants players who are constantly in trouble? Is Garrett to blame for this?

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
When are people here going to get over the RKG thing? Really.

Every coach, gm or personnel will use this phrase or their own similar phrase to justify them drafting a player, bringing in a FA or trading for a player to come to their team.

The term they use can mean whatever they want it to mean in under to justify it.

If a guy is a boy scout and plays hard and never has been in trouble Byron Jones...RKG.
If a guy plays hard but has been in a little bit of trouble before Dak (dui before the draft)...RKG
If a guy has a load athletic talent but has yet to materialize on the field and they can get him for a bargain, whether he is a saint or not David Irving(during the draft they took him off their boards) ...RKG
If a guy has a great deal of talent and has produced on the field but has been in trouble for off the field issues and they can get him for a deal, Greg Hardy...RKG
If a guy is super talented and has not had trouble off the field but is known as a cancer in the locker room for more than one team even turning on coaches and QBs, T.O....RKG (although to be fair this was under Bill not Jason

RKG is just an excuse to explain why they brought in this or that player. It can mean anything they want. He is a hard worker, he stays out of trouble, he might get in trouble but he plays hard, he might not have lived up to his potential and needs coached up but there is talent there, he has been in a good deal of trouble but he is talented enough they are willing to take a gamble on him for the right price and his former teammates loved him. blah blah blah

And yet year after year, thread after thread someone comes in and acts like it is a way to belittle the coach, the GM or whoever in this organization.

They are no different than any other team when they use an excuse to bring in someone or keep someone or justify a player being on the roster.

Some time ago in yet another one of these type of threads I went through a list of some of the top coaches who were also seen as disciplinarian coaches who have all had players that have gotten in trouble in one form or the other but the coaches kept them on the roster until they had to get rid of them later.

The really ironic thing about this is during draft time when some of us don't want troubled players even though they are really talented (Randy Gregory)...people on here will say...we need players not boy scouts. I have seen some of the same people who have said that in order for us to draft a player like Gregory, turn around and complain about the Coaches and staff for taking a player like Gregory when Gregory continues to do what Gregory did in college.
The irony is incredible.
Would like this 100 times if I could.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
So what do y'all u think it is? You think Garrett wants players who are constantly in trouble? Is Garrett to blame for this?

Nobody's trying to place the blame on Garrett for anything other than questioning the wisdom of continuing his mantra about RKGs when we have twice the suspensions of any other team. Do you think he wants players who are constantly in trouble? Can you name a HC who would? This issue has been covered ad infinitum. There's no need to run it into the ground more than what it has been already. I think JG's OK as our coach and surely don't blame him for what the players do wrong. That'd be silly.

Last edited:

fredp22

Reaction score
I'm thinking it might be a good idea to give Garrett's RKG mantra a rest. It's starting to bear an odor of hypocrisy.

Nobody told Garrett to make that statement. He made it his mission statement when he was hired on how was going to build this team. I've seen none of it when he's acquiring players. Maybe Jason should have just told us what everyone already knew- Hes has no idea how to build a team, Jerry runs everything and he's along to learn (like Piniella did when Steinbrenner hired him). I think he deserves it every time his BS RKG speech backfires in his face. Maybe next time he'll just keep his mouth shut instead of thinking everyone is stupid enough to buy a line of crap.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Nobody's trying to place the blame on Garrett for anything other than questioning the wisdom of continuing his mantra about RKGs when we have twice the suspensions of any other team. Do you think he wants players who are constantly in trouble? Can you name a HC who would? This issue has been covered ad infinitum. There's no need to run it into the ground more than what it has been already. I think JG's OK as our coach and surely don't blame him for what the players do wrong. That'd be silly.

I'm just asking what do you think the problem is? I think when they scout these guys they are considered the right kind of guys........but that's with college supervision....in the NFL....you are essentially on your own....as you should be. I think they've pretty much been true and consistent when it comes to the players they bring in here.....its just bit them at times like it does most teams. w