It might sound crazy but Pitts is the guy

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Take Pitts. Go all out on offense. Until the Larry and Moe decide to adequately address the middle of the defense, or the LBs are so good they're able to overcome a poor interior DL, it won't matter who we put at CB.

cnuball21

Reaction score
How much better does he make an already high scoring offense? Sure, he may be a great talent but at the end of the day there is some level of value here. What does Pitts give this team? I am a firm believer in largely going BPA over need early in the draft but at some point, you have to assess where you are.

I mean just think about this when you wonder why the defense continues to scuffle year after year. We used a first round pick on Cooper. We used a first round pick on Lamb. We've used first, second and third round picks on building the OL. We used a third round pick on Gallup. We used a Top 5 pick on our TB. And we just gave our QB a massive contract. Now we want to use another first round pick on a pass catcher for an offense already pretty stacked in the passing department?

I am really struggling to wrap my head around how a TE at 10 makes a lot of sense. Granted part of my reasoning is that I am getting tired of almost every season unraveling because the defense just lacks talent and playmakers. I admit that might not be the wisest logic either.

I think getting healthy on offense and adding a blue chip talent like Pitts gets us to 30+ PPG which puts our offense at an elite status...we are not there yet. Adding someone like him creates space for the other WRs / RB and puts a lot of pressure on the opposing defense. It also keeps our defense off the field. I also think you have to think of him like a TE / WR because his skill set is so versatile (has reps of beating CBs outside in SEC).

I get it, I want the defense to improve...and it has to but we also need to keep in mind we had quite a few guys miss time last year that would've helped (LVE, McCoy, Gregory, etc...). We can also still plug holes and use the rest of the draft on defense.

The league has changed a lot over the years...TB's defense flipped the switch down the stretch to help but almost everyone team in the playoffs was a high powered offense. The top 8 scoring teams made the playoffs. The top 3 scoring teams made it to the Championship round.

I'm all for fixing the defense, but I'm never going to make a big reach for need in the top 10.

Proof

Reaction score
I don't think he hits 6, let alone 10.

There wasn't this much buzz about Gonzalez and he went 1st. This is the most can't miss player in the draft.

I don't see him making it past the teams with young guns like NYJ, CIN or MIA.

Pitts in the Randy Moss in this draft, every team regretted passing on him. Only one gets blamed but they all regretted it.

I do agree with the OP. There are two ways to approach a team with a good O and bad D. Make what's good better and if they could provide the time to Prescott, this would be that O no D wanted to face. Blitzing would be the only way to stop it.

LOL

king987

Reaction score
Don't think Pitts will get to 10, but I would be down for it. I get it, defense defense defense. But I'm not taking a good defensive prospect over a great, top 5 prospect. Jarwin & Schultz are nowhere good enough for me to say no to Pitts.

1st Round, I'm all about BPA, with needs taken into consideration.

Sydla

Reaction score
I think getting healthy on offense and adding a blue chip talent like Pitts gets us to 30+ PPG which puts our offense at an elite status...we are not there yet. Adding someone like him creates space for the other WRs / RB and puts a lot of pressure on the opposing defense. It also keeps our defense off the field. I also think you have to think of him like a TE / WR because his skill set is so versatile (has reps of beating CBs outside in SEC).

I get it, I want the defense to improve...and it has to but we also need to keep in mind we had quite a few guys miss time last year that would've helped (LVE, McCoy, Gregory, etc...). We can also still plug holes and use the rest of the draft on defense.

The league has changed a lot over the years...TB's defense flipped the switch down the stretch to help but almost everyone team in the playoffs was a high powered offense. The top 8 scoring teams made the playoffs. The top 3 scoring teams made it to the Championship round.

I'm all for fixing the defense, but I'm never going to make a big reach for need in the top 10.

They were likely going to average close or over 30+ points a game if Prescott had remained healthy. So again, what is Pitts giving you that makes him so difficult to turn down at 10 if there is a defender there that could be comparable on their board? You have pass catchers in the backfield, you have three really good WRs, you have two decent TEs. As good as Pitts is or could be, I am wondering how much better does he make an offense that already is pretty stacked when it comes to pass catchers?

cnuball21

Reaction score
They were likely going to average close or over 30+ points a game if Prescott had remained healthy. So again, what is Pitts giving you that makes him so difficult to turn down at 10 if there is a defender there that could be comparable on their board? You have pass catchers in the backfield, you have three really good WRs, you have two decent TEs. As good as Pitts is or could be, I am wondering how much better does he make an offense that already is pretty stacked when it comes to pass catchers?

Against the bottom feeders of the NFL sure. When you look back at the offense over the last few years against quality defenses that isnt the case. We’ve racked up a ton of yards against bad teams and in garbage time.

I’d disagree this offense is already elite. I think it’s good, but adding someone like Pitts could make it elite.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Take Pitts. Go all out on offense. Until the Larry and Moe decide to adequately address the middle of the defense, or the LBs are so good they're able to overcome a poor interior DL, it won't matter who we put at CB.
I may be leaning Pitts ONLY if Surtain is off the board and we rule out oline. Pitts would add another dynamic to the offense that teams would have to defend...the seam. We are weak on offense down the hashes. It just might spread out teams enough to allow our backs to have an easier time running the ball. Thaty said, we better go defense throughout the draft to sure up the interior and Safety position. Gonna need good corners to deal with the Chiefs and teams like this that play fast break offense.

Rayman70

Reaction score
As good as Schultz was last year, can we really expect him to repeat that or will teams be ready for him this time? PLUS we lost some depth when Bell walked. We could actually use an upgrade at TE to pair with Dalton Schultz. Would be a very nice duo...BUT a luxury.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Another point to consider, which is of course a total unknown and not that you want to run your team due to fear, what happens if Pitts gets hurt, or somehow doesn't pan out like he's projected? Then you didn't improve your offense and by not getting the first round defender you probably didn't help your defense as much as getting a first rounder.

Just noting that it's not a "no brainer" you select Pitts if he's there at 10, there is more thought that goes into it...

Rayman70

Reaction score
Another point to consider, which is of course a total unknown and not that you want to run your team due to fear, what happens if Pitts gets hurt, or somehow doesn't pan out like he's projected? Then you didn't improve your offense and by not getting the first round defender you probably didn't help your defense as much as getting a first rounder.

Just noting that it's not a "no brainer" you select Pitts if he's there at 10, there is more thought that goes into it...
great point. Brevin Jordan is another option at TE in round 2 or 3. If we wanna be a lil crazy. He has freakish ability as well. Reminds me of Shannon Sharpe.A wr in a TE body...at least the risk would be a bit less.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
great point. Brevin Jordan is another option at TE in round 2 or 3. If we wanna be a lil crazy. He has freakish ability as well. Reminds me of Shannon Sharpe.A wr in a TE body...at least the risk would be a bit less.

All depends on Dak's and the o-lines health - if Dak and the o-line are back to 100% or even 95% as before the injuries/surgeries, the weapons he has are more than adequate to provide the offense necessary to win a SB. But the defense was so bad, lost so many players this year and had so many disappointing young guys, imo you simply cannot ignore defense in the first round. It's not like Pitts is head and shoulders the bpa, there are excellent defensive players as well, by taking a Farley or Surtain you're not drafting some scrub...

Rayman70

Reaction score
All depends on Dak's and the o-lines health - if Dak and the o-line are back to 100% or even 95% as before the injuries/surgeries, the weapons he has are more than adequate to provide the offense necessary to win a SB. But the defense was so bad, lost so many players this year and had so many disappointing young guys, imo you simply cannot ignore defense in the first round. It's not like Pitts is head and shoulders the bpa, there are excellent defensive players as well, by taking a Farley or Surtain you're not drafting some scrub...
I think the oline leaves alot to be desired. Glad you mentioned it. I highly doubt it will be even 95%. Count me as a skeptic. It would be foolish of them not to consider a tackle in this draft within the first 4 rounds.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I think the oline leaves alot to be desired. Glad you mentioned it. I highly doubt it will be even 95%. Count me as a skeptic. It would be foolish of them not to consider a tackle in this draft within the first 4 rounds.

The 95% isn't that likely, agreed, and you have to look at the future as well as this year.

Just saying that from what moves the Cowboys have made it appears to me they're thinking the line will be at least adequate this year. Whether that's wishful thinking, based on what the doctors say, or faith in the newly signed OT being able to fill in enough is up to question...

Sydla

Reaction score
Against the bottom feeders of the NFL sure. When you look back at the offense over the last few years against quality defenses that isnt the case. We’ve racked up a ton of yards against bad teams and in garbage time.

I’d disagree this offense is already elite. I think it’s good, but adding someone like Pitts could make it elite.

I think you overvalue Pitts as being this game changing TE that will take a good offense and make them elite when they already have really good pass catchers all over the field. There is no doubt Pitts is a stud. And normally I'd be all for grabbing the BPA (like Lamb last year) but the team continually fails year after year because the defense just never is consistent enough.

I can't justify another pass catcher in the draft for a team that is loaded with really good pass catchers.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What was the strength of the 2014 team that was 2nd in picks that year? Offense.

There are ways of using offense to create defense which is what that team did. They forced the OC to alter his play calling and put the ball in the air more. The other teams felt that had to score more than normal and TOP didn't matter, Points Off Possessions was the game.

That's how other teams stifled the Cowboys when they were a TOP team, don't stop the run, score more points and make them pass.

The greatest weakness of the Cowboys is the run D. Are they going to fix that in this one draft? Unlikely. Doesn't mean they shouldn't spend most of the picks trying to but if that TE is there, they should take him for their offense to help their defense.

The beauty of this is of the top 10 pickers, DAL is the only one with a top 3 WR corps. They would not be dependent on him and so he gets a rookie season just like Lamb did because they didn't need him. There is not a secondary in the NFL equipped to deal with a receiving corps that DAL could put out there.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I think you overvalue Pitts as being this game changing TE that will take a good offense and make them elite when they already have really good pass catchers all over the field. There is no doubt Pitts is a stud. And normally I'd be all for grabbing the BPA (like Lamb last year) but the team continually fails year after year because the defense just never is consistent enough.

I can't justify another pass catcher in the draft for a team that is loaded with really good pass catchers.

Sure, agree to disagree.

rags747

Reaction score
I’m all in on Pitts, but saw that the Falcons could take him at #4 as the kid is really rising.