It might sound crazy but Pitts is the guy

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This is completely out of character for me because I’m old school and think defense wins championships, but out of every player in this draft I think Pitts has the most potential to be a Hall of famer. He’s a matchup nightmare for safeties and linebackers. Gallup will probably be gone in free agency soon & Cooper + Lamb are a fantastic 1/2 punch, but adding Pitts to the mix would not only benefit Dak the most but he’ll change defensive schemes and open up things for the run game and you can’t really double any of our WR’s because you’ll more than likely have to bracket or double Pitts. The NFL hasn’t seen a guy like this come out of college in a long, long time. He’s an instant pro-bowler and could potentially lead the league in yards & TDs based on how Dak really likes to play (Dak n dunk, protect the football, etc)

It’s crazy for me to say this but I don’t think you can pass on this guy if he’s on the board at pick 10 and I actually wouldn’t be mad if they moved up to get him. The boys’ have the picks to move around in the draft and I would literally spend the rest of the 10 picks on the defense.

In the end I think Gallup will command a crazy contract based on his production and skill set, this would replace him with a better player, at a position of need, a safety valve for Dak and a guy that is already probably as good as Travis Kelce or maybe even better... and he’ll be on a rookie deal, so you can save the money you’d pay Gallup and spend that on the defense.

Id rather take a defensive player but similar to the lamb pick sometimes you just gotta follow your board. Makes even more sense if Gallup is swapped for Gilmore.

ghst187

Reaction score
Pitts and Lawrence are easily the top two players in this entire draft. Utter foolishness to pass on either given the chance. If rumor becomes true and we trade Gallup for CB Gilmore and we sign one or two of the FSs coming in, then DB goes out the door at ten. There really aren’t any other D players worth the 10 pick. A LB is the closest value and the position just isn’t worth that price.
If all the above happens I’d even trade up for Pitts, which would likely have to happen to get him.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Pitts and Lawrence are easily the top two players in this entire draft. Utter foolishness to pass on either given the chance. If rumor becomes true and we trade Gallup for CB Gilmore and we sign one or two of the FSs coming in, then DB goes out the door at ten. There really aren’t any other D players worth the 10 pick. A LB is the closest value and the position just isn’t worth that price.
If all the above happens I’d even trade up for Pitts, which would likely have to happen to get him.

Yeah you will never catch me calling people advocating for drafting Pitts if he's there names or poo pooing the concept. That dude is a beast.. The Cowboys aint winnin the Super Bowl in 2021 anyway so stockpiling beasts for the future should never be sneezed at. THere is no defensive player on the board who will turn us into a championship defense in one year so getting another monster on offense and then drafting guys we can develop on defense wouldn't bother me at all.

ghst187

Reaction score
Yeah you will never catch me calling people advocating for drafting Pitts if he's there names or poo pooing the concept. That dude is a beast.. The Cowboys aint winnin the Super Bowl in 2021 anyway so stockpiling beasts for the future should never be sneezed at. THere is no defensive player on the board who will turn us into a championship defense in one year so getting another monster on offense and then drafting guys we can develop on defense wouldn't bother me at all.

yeah agree, I think Pitts will be pro bowl or even all pro. I have him as the #2 overall prospect in the entire draft. I think he’s worth trading up a few spots to get even, esp if we (per rumor) we trade Gallup for CB Gilmore and sign one or two of the FSs we are bringing in. If DB ceases to be an immediate need then Surtain/Farley aren’t necessary and there ceases to be value at need at the ten pick anyway. Trading Gallup makes sense since we likely can’t keep him after this season anyway and then to replace him with Pitts is a big upgrade. I agree on D, no d player is putting us over the top from this draft but stockpiling probowl talent is always advisable. Fill needs in FA, draft stars.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
yeah agree, I think Pitts will be pro bowl or even all pro. I have him as the #2 overall prospect in the entire draft. I think he’s worth trading up a few spots to get even, esp if we (per rumor) we trade Gallup for CB Gilmore and sign one or two of the FSs we are bringing in. If DB ceases to be an immediate need then Surtain/Farley aren’t necessary and there ceases to be value at need at the ten pick anyway. Trading Gallup makes sense since we likely can’t keep him after this season anyway and then to replace him with Pitts is a big upgrade. I agree on D, no d player is putting us over the top from this draft but stockpiling probowl talent is always advisable. Fill needs in FA, draft stars.

Yeah if there was an Aaron Donald or JJ Watt in this draft I would be singing a different tune.. But there aint so I'm not going to be married to the whole "we gotta draft defense" narrative. I know people think Jarwin can do the same things Pitts can do.. which s true to some extent.. But that's like saying Noah Brown or Michael Gallup can do the same things Dez Bryant used to do.. Yes they can.. but there are degrees and levels to everything and those guys aint on Dez's level and Jarwin aint on Pitts' level.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Yeah if there was an Aaron Donald or JJ Watt in this draft I would be singing a different tune.. But there aint so I'm not going to be married to the whole "we gotta draft defense" narrative. I know people think Jarwin can do the same things Pitts can do.. which s true to some extent.. But that's like saying Noah Brown or Michael Gallup can do the same things Dez Bryant used to do.. Yes they can.. but there are degrees and levels to everything and those guys aint on Dez's level and Jarwin aint on Pitts' level.

No, one player isn't making the defense top notch, they were so awful last year. So how long do you wait to start improving the offense? Next year? Has any team ever won a SB with a 31st ranked defense? Nope. And what happens if next year a fantastic rated wide receiver is "head and shoulders better than anybody else"? By the "he's so great you have to get him if you can" scenario, you do. Now it's two years you haven't helped the defense.

You can't draft just for need, or just bpa, it has to be a mixture of the two. The defense needs so much help imho you just can't wait any longer to build it....

RonnieT24

Reaction score
No, one player isn't making the defense top notch, they were so awful last year. So how long do you wait to start improving the offense? Next year? Has any team ever won a SB with a 31st ranked defense? Nope. And what happens if next year a fantastic rated wide receiver is "head and shoulders better than anybody else"? By the "he's so great you have to get him if you can" scenario, you do. Now it's two years you haven't helped the defense.

You can't draft just for need, or just bpa, it has to be a mixture of the two. The defense needs so much help imho you just can't wait any longer to build it....

I don't disagree however the fact remains there are precious few day one impact defensive players in this draft and likely NONE available at 10. So what do you do? Overdraft some developmental defensive guy just so you can say you drafted a defensive guy, knowing full well that he's probably not going to give you anything until 2022 or 2023? Or do you draft the guy who will step in and contribute mightily from day one on offense and then still draft developmental defensive guys in the ensuing rounds? The Cowboys got Lamb in the first round and got a 10 year starter at corner in round 2 last year. If they get Pitts and get another 10 year defensive starter in round 2 will anyone here mind? I know I won't.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Amazing how much people fall in love with flashy skill offensive players

It's a weak draft for defense, man, nothing more nothing less. I am still in favor of drafting the best defender on the board but not if he is graded like 20 spots lower than Pitts. That's how you end up with a Taco Charlton..

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Y’all want to remodel the kitchen..add a swimming pool and get a new 75 inch TV.. while the foundation is sinking.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
No way Jerry drafts Pitts and gives him #82.

That is not like Mr. Jones at all.

Clarke82

Reaction score
Agree completely. If you can get a gronk/kelce type. You get him.

Agreed, I think Pitts is the best Non-QB in the draft.

The problem I have is, with Cooper, Gallop and Lamb will Pitts be used to his potential in Dallas?

I like Kellen Moore but he's a predominately 11 personnel guy.

If Pitts is utilized in the manner in which we all imagine, will he add to the receivers production or subtract from it.

Drafting Pitts would be great but, I'm not sure if we would be adding fire power or just displacing it.

Ekspozed

Reaction score
Agreed, I think Pitts is the best Non-QB in the draft.

The problem I have is, with Cooper, Gallop and Lamb will Pitts be used to his potential in Dallas?

I like Kellen Moore but he's a predominately 11 personnel guy.

If Pitts is utilized in the manner in which we all imagine, will he add to the receivers production or subtract from it.

Drafting Pitts would be great but, I'm not sure if we would be adding fire power or just displacing it.
We lose gallup next year

Clarke82

Reaction score
We lose gallup next year

Likely, although Pitts won't replace Gallop.

We will need another deep threat on the outside.

Having made the argument against Pitts, he would still be the best BPA @ 10 and I'm always in favor of drafting the best players and figuring the rest out later.

If we do draft him I just hope we figure out a way to maximize his ability.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I don't disagree however the fact remains there are precious few day one impact defensive players in this draft and likely NONE available at 10. So what do you do? Overdraft some developmental defensive guy just so you can say you drafted a defensive guy, knowing full well that he's probably not going to give you anything until 2022 or 2023? Or do you draft the guy who will step in and contribute mightily from day one on offense and then still draft developmental defensive guys in the ensuing rounds? The Cowboys got Lamb in the first round and got a 10 year starter at corner in round 2 last year. If they get Pitts and get another 10 year defensive starter in round 2 will anyone here mind? I know I won't.

I see your point, but as I said, if the offense needs help in a big way then Pitts is a no-brainer if he's available. But the offense has lots of weapons, and should be very good, while the defense was flat out awful. Pitts will improve the offense some, but a good defensive pick will help the defense a lot. And I don't agree there are "precious few" impact defensive players in the draft, maybe there's no one on the defensive side that's on the level of Pitts as an offensive player, but just because they're not on his level defensively doesn't mean they're not an "impact" player. And someone that might not be an impact player on a top defensive team already will certainly be one on the Cowboys.

Besides, every mock draft I've seen and every "expert" I've heard shows that at least a couple of quarterbacks will go early, as will Sewell and other offensive players. Unless all 9 teams before Dallas go defense, which is about as unlikely as you can get, there will undoubtedly be an impact defender available at 10.

Probably won't matter, Pitts will be long gone by 10 anyway...