It might sound crazy but Pitts is the guy

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
This is completely out of character for me because I’m old school and think defense wins championships, but out of every player in this draft I think Pitts has the most potential to be a Hall of famer. He’s a matchup nightmare for safeties and linebackers. Gallup will probably be gone in free agency soon & Cooper + Lamb are a fantastic 1/2 punch, but adding Pitts to the mix would not only benefit Dak the most but he’ll change defensive schemes and open up things for the run game and you can’t really double any of our WR’s because you’ll more than likely have to bracket or double Pitts. The NFL hasn’t seen a guy like this come out of college in a long, long time. He’s an instant pro-bowler and could potentially lead the league in yards & TDs based on how Dak really likes to play (Dak n dunk, protect the football, etc)

It’s crazy for me to say this but I don’t think you can pass on this guy if he’s on the board at pick 10 and I actually wouldn’t be mad if they moved up to get him. The boys’ have the picks to move around in the draft and I would literally spend the rest of the 10 picks on the defense.

In the end I think Gallup will command a crazy contract based on his production and skill set, this would replace him with a better player, at a position of need, a safety valve for Dak and a guy that is already probably as good as Travis Kelce or maybe even better... and he’ll be on a rookie deal, so you can save the money you’d pay Gallup and spend that on the defense.
Philly is going to take him I'm thinking.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I would be fine drafting Pitts so long as every other pick in the draft is defense. Pitts is an absolute freak of an athlete at tight end. I do worry that a lot of his game in college has been predicated on just beast-moding over guys to get the ball and I wonder if he can do that to grown *** men. He's fast but not Kittle fast I don't think. He's big but not Gronk big.. He does have ridiculous hands and a wonderful feel for the seam routes. I would not revolt if we drafted him .. but I'd have all my fingers and toes crossed that he turns out to be a modern day Kellen Winslow so we don't look like morons for not drafting some defensive stud..

kskboys

Reaction score
I think you overvalue Pitts as being this game changing TE that will take a good offense and make them elite when they already have really good pass catchers all over the field. There is no doubt Pitts is a stud. And normally I'd be all for grabbing the BPA (like Lamb last year) but the team continually fails year after year because the defense just never is consistent enough.

I can't justify another pass catcher in the draft for a team that is loaded with really good pass catchers.
Well said. No matter how good Pitts is, the improvement will be marginal. Add in that he's not a can't miss prospect, and just no.

kskboys

Reaction score
What was the strength of the 2014 team that was 2nd in picks that year? Offense.

There are ways of using offense to create defense which is what that team did. They forced the OC to alter his play calling and put the ball in the air more. The other teams felt that had to score more than normal and TOP didn't matter, Points Off Possessions was the game.

That's how other teams stifled the Cowboys when they were a TOP team, don't stop the run, score more points and make them pass.

The greatest weakness of the Cowboys is the run D. Are they going to fix that in this one draft? Unlikely. Doesn't mean they shouldn't spend most of the picks trying to but if that TE is there, they should take him for their offense to help their defense.

The beauty of this is of the top 10 pickers, DAL is the only one with a top 3 WR corps. They would not be dependent on him and so he gets a rookie season just like Lamb did because they didn't need him. There is not a secondary in the NFL equipped to deal with a receiving corps that DAL could put out there.
That's exactly what KC thought before the super bowl!!!!

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I think you overvalue Pitts as being this game changing TE that will take a good offense and make them elite when they already have really good pass catchers all over the field. There is no doubt Pitts is a stud. And normally I'd be all for grabbing the BPA (like Lamb last year) but the team continually fails year after year because the defense just never is consistent enough.

I can't justify another pass catcher in the draft for a team that is loaded with really good pass catchers.

Lions drafted wide receivers 3 years in a row, don't recall them making lots of SBs. Of course that's somewhat a different era, but I know I complained years ago about Dallas continually drafting linebackers, like 5 in a row from 2005-2009, with no SBs. Have to strike some kind of balance in your drafting....

kskboys

Reaction score
As good as Schultz was last year, can we really expect him to repeat that or will teams be ready for him this time? PLUS we lost some depth when Bell walked. We could actually use an upgrade at TE to pair with Dalton Schultz. Would be a very nice duo...BUT a luxury.
Absolutely, we can. Schultz showed that Witten-like ability to use his quickness and D reading ability to consistently get open down the seam. If you want to look at a possible repeat, you must consider why he had a good year.

kskboys

Reaction score
Lions drafted wide receivers 3 years in a row, don't recall them making lots of SBs. Of course that's somewhat a different era, but I know I complained years ago about Dallas continually drafting linebackers, like 5 in a row from 2005-2009, with no SBs. Have to strike some kind of balance in your drafting....
We use way too much BPA in out drafting strategy. That's what comes from having a football dummy as GM. And a lazy one at that.

kskboys

Reaction score
No KC thought their 2nd and 3rd team tackles could block Tampa's pass rush.. They were wrong..
Yup. Which is why pass rush and QB protection are miles more important than another TE. So important that who we have catching passes simply won't matter until we fix the DLine.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Yup. Which is why pass rush and QB protection are miles more important than another TE. So important that who we have catching passes simply won't matter until we fix the DLine.

And safety which has been a huge weakness also. As for oline, I'd probably take Aaron Banks from Notre Dame. He's a guard, but he'd allow us to move Connor Williams to RT where I think he was a better fit. Meanwhile, Collins would probably still start for a while and, if TSmith is out which is becoming more common, then Collins would move to LT to fill in while Connor Williams plugs in at RT.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
And safety which has been a huge weakness also. As for oline, I'd probably take Aaron Banks from Notre Dame. He's a guard, but he'd allow us to move Connor Williams to RT where I think he was a better fit. Meanwhile, Collins would probably still start for a while and, if TSmith is out which is becoming more common, then Collins would move to LT to fill in while Connor Williams plugs in at RT.

I think the Cowboys will know pretty quickly if Tyron and Lael are all the way back from their surgeries. If they can't figure that out before the season starts the entire coaching and training staffs should be fired. The problem with moving Williams to tackle is that between trying to bulk up and a knee surgery he has likely lost a lot of the athleticism and footwork that made him a good tackle prospect. If I'm the Cowboys I go into this season with Zack Martin as my "break glass in case of emergency" tackle and conduct my offseason accordingly. I really think the Cowboys have plenty of depth on the interior even if they're not all all-pro caliber.. If they draft a linemen he needs to be a tackle IMHO. As for safety, if the guy they draft doesn't clock in the low 4.3's and have double digit INTs in college I don't want him. We need a centerfielder/ballhawk at safety. I think Wilson is fine as an SS.. I would even be okay with bringing in a vet to pair with him will the rookie figures things out..

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I think the Cowboys will know pretty quickly if Tyron and Lael are all the way back from their surgeries. If they can't figure that out before the season starts the entire coaching and training staffs should be fired. The problem with moving Williams to tackle is that between trying to bulk up and a knee surgery he has likely lost a lot of the athleticism and footwork that made him a good tackle prospect. If I'm the Cowboys I go into this season with Zack Martin as my "break glass in case of emergency" tackle and conduct my offseason accordingly. I really think the Cowboys have plenty of depth on the interior even if they're not all all-pro caliber.. If they draft a linemen he needs to be a tackle IMHO. As for safety, if the guy they draft doesn't clock in the low 4.3's and have double digit INTs in college I don't want him. We need a centerfielder/ballhawk at safety. I think Wilson is fine as an SS.. I would even be okay with bringing in a vet to pair with him will the rookie figures things out..

Good point. On that same note though, I'd still take Banks to fill in at RG if we have to move Martin to RT. I seriously want a 1T DT in the draft. I like Alim from NC State a lot at 44. I like Wilson a lot at SS. I think Jevon Holland is the ballhawk safety we want in round 3 with Kazee as a FA that we bring in on a 1 year deal to help Holland develop more.

Prime21

Reaction score
If he is BPA take him. We probably are not resigning Gallup. So if we do not take him in one year we will need another receiving threat.

Do not draft for one year. Draft for at least 5 especially with your first round picks.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
If he is BPA take him. We probably are not resigning Gallup. So if we do not take him in one year we will need another receiving threat.

Do not draft for one year. Draft for at least 5 especially with your first round picks.

With one other caveat. If we can't get a trade back. I say this because we need defence, but, if we sign Kazee, then that might free us up to also get Pitts at 10 if no trade down, then take Alim (DT from NC State) at 44 followed by Holland and Cox in round 3.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Good point. On that same note though, I'd still take Banks to fill in at RG if we have to move Martin to RT. I seriously want a 1T DT in the draft. I like Alim from NC State a lot at 44. I like Wilson a lot at SS. I think Jevon Holland is the ballhawk safety we want in round 3 with Kazee as a FA that we bring in on a 1 year deal to help Holland develop more.

Seems like a solid plan.. I don't know much about Alim so I will have to study up on him more as the draft gets closer. I'm am admitted SEC bigot so I watch far more of their games than I do the ACC with the exception of FSU and Miami (because I am from Florida) when they are good.. which hasn't been the case in a while. We passed on a lot of potential disruptors inside when Rod was callin the shots on defense so I sincerely hope those days are behind us. I want guys who can play on the other side of the line of scrimmage consistently on the interior.. Both Hill and Gallimore flashed that ability at times last year but not nearly enough for us to be satisfied and neither really has the size to be that 1 tech we need IMHO. They might grow into it in 3-4 years but if we can get one now I'm all for it.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Seems like a solid plan.. I don't know much about Alim so I will have to study up on him more as the draft gets closer. I'm am admitted SEC bigot so I watch far more of their games than I do the ACC with the exception of FSU and Miami (because I am from Florida) when they are good.. which hasn't been the case in a while. We passed on a lot of potential disruptors inside when Rod was callin the shots on defense so I sincerely hope those days are behind us. I want guys who can play on the other side of the line of scrimmage consistently on the interior.. Both Hill and Gallimore flashed that ability at times last year but not nearly enough for us to be satisfied and neither really has the size to be that 1 tech we need IMHO. They might grow into it in 3-4 years but if we can get one now I'm all for it.

Agreed about Hill and Gallimore. We need to draft 1T soo....

Enjoy!

RonnieT24

Reaction score

Enjoy!

Thanks.. I was just talking about this with my bro-in-law (another huge Cowboys fan) and we were both adamant that we need a big ole pocket crunching, double team demanding 1 tech for this defense to ever be good. Get that guy and the 3-tech can thrive as can the backers in behind them. Force offensive lines to focus on the biguns up front and watch LVE and Jaylon suddenly look like good players again..

cnuball21

Reaction score

Enjoy!

Another McNeil fan! He's my favorite in the class...absolutely love the balance of pass rush and run D. Dude is an absolute anchor and is one of my top targets in the 2nd.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Thanks.. I was just talking about this with my bro-in-law (another huge Cowboys fan) and we were both adamant that we need a big ole pocket crunching, double team demanding 1 tech for this defense to ever be good. Get that guy and the 3-tech can thrive as can the backers in behind them. Force offensive lines to focus on the biguns up front and watch LVE and Jaylon suddenly look like good players again..

Indeed, and that's what Mcneil can do.

Another McNeil fan! He's my favorite in the class...absolutely love the balance of pass rush and run D. Dude is an absolute anchor and is one of my top targets in the 2nd.

Same here, I want him at 44.