It was a very good draft

Carter

Reaction score
I'm not claiming to be right and you are wrong or vice versa but each team has their own boards and specific needs.

What grade was the defensive end Crosby given at the Raiders last season? He was what drafted in the fourth round and played like a blue chip first rounder.

Look no further than Dak Prescott - drafted in the fourth round and in highsight he was clearly worthy of a first round grading.

I agree with the consensus on here that we had a very strong looking draft but we won't really know for sure for a few years. Further, I do think a lot of teams drafted very well in relation to their specific needs.

Thing is there is only one Ball at the same time. So either Wentz or Hurts has to sit.
Wentz is unlikely because he just signed a 100 Million Contract.

I get that the Eagles need a good Backup because of Wentz constant injuries but comeon.
Drafting a Backup QB that high when u have so many holes like the Eagles is Insanity even if you use him on a couple of Snaps as a Runner or Receiver.
That was just dumb.

If they wanted to draft a young QB to groom as Backup they could have gotten Jake Fromm in the 4th who seems like a much better QB to me.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
The Green Bay draft must go down as one of the worst in living memory.

Matt LaFleur, after only one year of working with Aaron Rodgers, is sending a very strong signal that the Aaron Rodgers era in Green Bay is coming to an end soon. The good news for the Cowboys is that it likely means that Mike McCarthy was a pretty decent coach to get so much out of a player who cannot get along with other people.

Even after a year in which their team overachieved, and made the NFL championship game, LaFleur is ready to dump Rodgers to work with a QB that is easier to get along with. Rodgers has a reputation of being hard to deal with, and not just from football coaches. By many reports, he is aloof, arrogant and ill-mannered. Even his own family has aired their dirty laundry publicly. And if the reports that Rodgers was still holding a grudge against McCarthy after 13 years for not drafting him in San Francisco, then he's a grudge holder also.

I'm not suggesting Rodgers is not a stellar QB. But it looks as if he's worn out his welcome in Green Bay, and it is likely he's as much to blame as anyone for the Packers winning only 1 Super Bowl during his time there.

My point isn't to try to destroy the reputation of Rodgers. He's been a generational type player. My point is to say that the Cowboys may have a better coach than they realize in Mike McCarthy, who may be able to handle hard player cases better than we realize.

Last edited:

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Matt LaFleur, after only one year of working with Aaron Rodgers, is sending a very strong signal that the Aaron Rodgers era in Green Bay is coming to an end soon. The good news for the Cowboys is that it likely means that Mike McCarthy was a pretty decent coach to get so much out of a player who cannot get along with other people.

Even after a year in which their team overachieved, and made the NFL championship game, LaFleur is ready to dump Rodgers to work with a QB that is easier to get along with. Rodgers has a reputation of being hard to deal with, and not just from football coaches. By many reports, he is aloof, arrogant and ill-mannered. Even his own family has aired their dirty laundry publicly. And if the reports that Rodgers was still holding a grudge against McCarthy after 13 years for not drafting him in San Francisco, then he's a grudge holder also.

I'm not suggesting Rodgers is not a stellar QB. But it looks as if he's worn out his welcome in Green Bay, and it is likely he's as much to blame as anyone for the Packers winning only 1 Super Bowl during his time there.

My point isn't to try to destroy the reputation of Rodgers. He's been a generational type player. My point is to say that the Cowboys may have a better coach than they realize in Mike McCarthy, who may be able to handle hard player cases better than we realize.

From what McCarthy stated about each of the players taken, he certainly knows his football. Compared to that dimwit of a coach we had previous.

McClay jumped for joy when McCarthy told him to pick players over scheme. And if the they can't get them to fit the scheme, change it.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

I can't stand Rodgers, but to be fair, from what I've read, his family's biggest beef is that he shunned the religious lifestyle they raised him in. If that's the case, I disregard anything they say about him.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Coaching changes made the offseason!. solid draft. Fa signings meh nothing to be excited about but moves were made At least. Been a decent offseason. Not sure there will be a season this year though. if Dallas can have a decent offseason again i can see this team being a contender again in 2021.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm relieved to see that our new coaching philosophy favors adjusting to a player's talent, rather than the player adjusting to the scheme.
Obviously, we've now adopted a more modern and workable approach. Thank the Lord and his football helper, Big Mike, for that.:thumbup:

At the very least, we'll know our talent isn't being wasted with that being the case. Our current coaching seems to bode well for success.

Last edited:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was a very good draft. Will McClay is the best thing this FO has going for it. And Jerry and Stephen deserve some credit for following their board and for not repeating some of their “fantasy football” type mistakes of years past.

The McCarthy era is off to a good start. Too early to know what the on-field product will be but this draft on paper is a shot in the arm for this entire organization to feel good about itself going forward.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Coaching changes made the offseason!. solid draft. Fa signings meh nothing to be excited about but moves were made At least. Been a decent offseason. Not sure there will be a season this year though. if Dallas can have a decent offseason again i can see this team being a contender again in 2021.

I posted before the draft, the FA players coming and going was about the same as usual. It did not help nor hurt the team. Basically a trade off. As every year.
Except, on paper, we are far better off at the DT position.
What hurt the most was more Travis retiring. But now many options to see where that goes at C.

To me, if we get a trade off in FA, and improve in the draft, that is pretty good. No outrageous cap hits or contracts, keep our own players from FA if possible, which they did, as too keeping the core group, swap others.

And as you said, the coaching change made the off season, and there we will see the biggest impact.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Seems rather obvious to most but I am not talking about that 3 year evaluation rule, I am talking about the picks at the time with what was available. If only 3 are there in 3 years, doesn't matter. This was a very good draft, 1 of the top 3. There will be further draft evaluations as the season progresses, this is just an A for right now.

I do believe this format really helped the GM do what he wanted to do, adhere to the draft board put together by McClay and his scouts.

He showed me something in the 19 draft when it was evident that others, including his son, wanted to trade that 3rd rounder and he didn't really even hesitate, stayed with his board and took McGovern, which could turn out to be a most fortuitous pick with Yosemite hanging it up. Not to mention that Williams pick isn't looking great.

I do wonder if the old coaching staff was still here, how different would this have looked? Because according to what McClay has said, McC had a lot to do with how they constructed that board. He was far more interested in players than system fits.

The last draft that was out of the park was the Dirty Dozen in 1975 and few are going to come close to that but this one is very intriguing. Most of what Parcells called "lunch pail" players, even Lamb's got a little nasty streak in him and these players all bring attitude.

Maybe, and yes, I am reaching here, they can use another film title to describe this one, "The Magnificent 7"? Yeah, I know, got a QB in there but he's a scrapper too.

It's a good feeling to feel your team did all it could. The results are important, sure they are, but for once even I can't complain about the GM doing his job well. I still don't like him but I can say "job well done".
Cowboys are receiving overall good grades from this draft.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We've had the chance to be lucky in past years as well, but they blew it. (Think Moss, Watt, etc.) This year they drafted the best available, and yes they were lucky to find them available, but they were smart enough to take advantage of the situation, and didn't outsmart themselves.
Exactly, and realistically there is a luck element with every draft. All any team can do is make the most of their picks from the players that are still available at the time they make those picks. This year it seems they nailed that.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We've had the chance to be lucky in past years as well, but they blew it. (Think Moss, Watt, etc.) This year they drafted the best available, and yes they were lucky to find them available, but they were smart enough to take advantage of the situation, and didn't outsmart themselves.

They didn't outsmart themselves because Garrett and the old way are gone to out dumb themselves. :lmao:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Seems rather obvious to most but I am not talking about that 3 year evaluation rule, I am talking about the picks at the time with what was available. If only 3 are there in 3 years, doesn't matter. This was a very good draft, 1 of the top 3. There will be further draft evaluations as the season progresses, this is just an A for right now.

I do believe this format really helped the GM do what he wanted to do, adhere to the draft board put together by McClay and his scouts.

He showed me something in the 19 draft when it was evident that others, including his son, wanted to trade that 3rd rounder and he didn't really even hesitate, stayed with his board and took McGovern, which could turn out to be a most fortuitous pick with Yosemite hanging it up. Not to mention that Williams pick isn't looking great.

I do wonder if the old coaching staff was still here, how different would this have looked? Because according to what McClay has said, McC had a lot to do with how they constructed that board. He was far more interested in players than system fits.

The last draft that was out of the park was the Dirty Dozen in 1975 and few are going to come close to that but this one is very intriguing. Most of what Parcells called "lunch pail" players, even Lamb's got a little nasty streak in him and these players all bring attitude.

Maybe, and yes, I am reaching here, they can use another film title to describe this one, "The Magnificent 7"? Yeah, I know, got a QB in there but he's a scrapper too.

It's a good feeling to feel your team did all it could. The results are important, sure they are, but for once even I can't complain about the GM doing his job well. I still don't like him but I can say "job well done".
I think the past couple of years, mcclay didn't get to do most of what he wanted. it was 50/50. too many cooks in the kitchen. plus the coaching staff was acting desparate (as they should have), so they reached, they tried to find players to fit their scheme, there were too many strategies for the draft. Charlton and Hill were both reaches, instead of doing the right thing, picking the right players, we tried to draft for need hoping/wishing players were something they were not. I am sure Mcclay had psychological evaluation and character concerns in his report, but seemingly they were ignored and they thought they can coach them up....

this was a good draft for us, its always best to pick the BPA, its the right strategy. there is a bit of luck involved as well.

with that said, its not going to happen this way every year. usually it happens every few years if you are lucky. most teams have good drafts, where they hit homeruns and most teams also have bad drafts, where they miss on everyone. New England included.

hopefully, this will set us on the right path to a championship.

RS12

Reaction score
Gotta wonder do they reach for Chaisson if Marinelli was still there?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think the past couple of years, mcclay didn't get to do most of what he wanted. it was 50/50. too many cooks in the kitchen. plus the coaching staff was acting desparate (as they should have), so they reached, they tried to find players to fit their scheme, there were too many strategies for the draft. Charlton and Hill were both reaches, instead of doing the right thing, picking the right players, we tried to draft for need hoping/wishing players were something they were not. I am sure Mcclay had psychological evaluation and character concerns in his report, but seemingly they were ignored and they thought they can coach them up....

this was a good draft for us, its always best to pick the BPA, its the right strategy. there is a bit of luck involved as well.

with that said, its not going to happen this way every year. usually it happens every few years if you are lucky. most teams have good drafts, where they hit homeruns and most teams also have bad drafts, where they miss on everyone. New England included.

hopefully, this will set us on the right path to a championship.
But it's easier to have a good draft when the coach will adjust the scheme to fit the personnel, rather than the other way around.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
But it's easier to have a good draft when the coach will adjust the scheme to fit the personnel, rather than the other way around.
its not just good for the draft. its good for the team. trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, never works out...

I remember Bilicheck once told one of his scouts when they were telling him about a player and what he lacks, his weaknesses, etc. Bilicheck said don't tell me what he can't do, tell me what he can do and we will put him, use him in such a way to utilize his strengths.....

the previous coaches were very inflexible and couldn't figure out how best to use the personnel they had. they were focused on their own scheme and didn't adjust...