It was a very good draft

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the past couple of years, mcclay didn't get to do most of what he wanted. it was 50/50. too many cooks in the kitchen. plus the coaching staff was acting desparate (as they should have), so they reached, they tried to find players to fit their scheme, there were too many strategies for the draft. Charlton and Hill were both reaches, instead of doing the right thing, picking the right players, we tried to draft for need hoping/wishing players were something they were not. I am sure Mcclay had psychological evaluation and character concerns in his report, but seemingly they were ignored and they thought they can coach them up....

this was a good draft for us, its always best to pick the BPA, its the right strategy. there is a bit of luck involved as well.

with that said, its not going to happen this way every year. usually it happens every few years if you are lucky. most teams have good drafts, where they hit homeruns and most teams also have bad drafts, where they miss on everyone. New England included.

hopefully, this will set us on the right path to a championship.
Any question about how the board was affected by certain coaches was answered with that pick of Hill last year. I don't even think McClay would have had him in the top 96 on his board. Marinelli takes him under his wing as a favor to his former player, Scott Frost, and they take him with their first actual pick in the draft. Then, Marinelli turns on him when he realizes he is just what his previous coaching staff thought he was.

Makes me wonder about who pushed Charleton as the pick and we know Marinelli loved him some Nick Hayden because of effort. Effort is great and highly admirable at the lower levels where coaches can afford to fall in love with effort.

I am assuming here but I think more changed than just the names on the coaches' doors. I think Booger had been letting Garrett and his buds influence the board and McClay didn't have much choice in the matter. McC arrives on the scene and evidently starts getting to know his personnel guy and likes what he learns and vice versa. So, he approaches Booger with a novel idea, let the people you hired to do the job do the job. McC doesn't have that issue about someone coming between him and his boss and he was used to working for a GM in GB that didn't even ask his opinion about the players and let that be known.

It's far too early in this game to tell but I am seeing the shift taking place and that old suspicious nature of "is this what it looks like or just for show" feeling is dissipating. Hiring McC the way he did, letting him put together his own guys, getting a couple of McC kind of DT's and a former S and now the draft. Could it be that Booger is finally getting it? 30 years on the job training as a little egregious but better that than to never arrive at all.

Last edited:

ESisback

Reaction score
But it's easier to have a good draft when the coach will adjust the scheme to fit the personnel, rather than the other way around.
Which is why I feel more optimistic than I have in years. I look at the changes, and barring major injuries, I see the “good” far outweighing the “bad”...

OL...coaching change plus additions-trending up
WR...talent upgrade—trending up
RB/TE maintains
OC Moore in year 2, w/o Garrett!

ST—bet the farm they’re better

DL—massive retooling, DEFINITE upward trend
LB—basically ‘maintained’, although a healthy LVE and 2nd year Gifford—trending up
DB—lost Jones, but gained 3 FAs and 2 draft picks

New HC—the philosophy change will be HUGE! More talent, and a scheme built to best utilize it, as opposed to players adapting to a simplistic, unchangeable methodology.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Isn't it wonderful that Garrett is no longer around to screw up things like a good draft?

Nah, its how things are in the off season. Not as many peeps browsing the board as you will see when the season starts. Quit kissing CC's butt - it will go straight to his head.
Pshaw and hrumph, poor ole CC needs all the love he can get. But acr, you are onto something there. You know that saying "the way to man's heart is through his stomach"? Some feel the way to CC's head is through is butt, where he likes to store it.

glimmerman

Reaction score
We took what came to us and got real good players. Some say our second rounder could have went in the 1st round and the 3rd rounder could have been a second.

The Lamb pick feel right to us. Was hard to have passed it up. If he is the real deal then we don’t have to worry about signing Gallup. Or at least have options. Maybe trade someone.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Any question about how the board was affected by certain coaches was answered with that pick of Hill last year. I don't even think McClay would have had him in the top 96 on his board. Marinelli takes him under his wing as a favor to his former player, Scott Frost, and they take him with their first actual pick in the draft. Then, Marinelli turns on him when he realizes he is just what his previous coaching staff thought he was.

Makes me wonder about who pushed Charleton as the pick and we know Marinelli loved him some Nick Hayden because of effort. Effort is great and highly admirable at the lower levels where coaches can afford to fall in love with effort.

I am assuming here but I think more changed than just the names on the coaches' doors. I think Booger had been letting Garrett and his buds influence the board and McClay didn't have much choice in the matter. McC arrives on the scene and evidently starts getting to know his personnel guy and likes what he learns and vice versa. So, he approaches Booger with a novel idea, let the people you hired to do the job do the job. McC doesn't have that issue about someone coming between him and his boss and he was used to working for a GM in GB that didn't even ask his opinion about the players and let that be known.

It's far too early in this game to tell but I am seeing the shift taking place and that old suspicious nature of "is this what it looks like or just for show" feeling is dissipating. Hiring McC the way he did, letting him put together his own guys, getting a couple of McC kind of DT's and a former S and now the draft. Could it be that Booger is finally getting it? 30 years on the job training as a little egregious but better that than to never arrive at all.
I wouldn’t go that far. This appears a good draft. Now your drawing some conclusions beyond those assessments.

We had some pretty good drafts under Garrett. Or we wouldn’t currently have the roster we do.

Moore and Dak were still a condition of employment here.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wouldn’t go that far. This appears a good draft. Now your drawing some conclusions beyond those assessments.

We had some pretty good drafts under Garrett. Or we wouldn’t currently have the roster we do.

Moore and Dak were still a condition of employment here.
What I am doing is drawing some conclusions you don't like or agree with because you want the Booger as marionette operator to continue.

Now, who is drawing conclusions that McC was required to keep Moore or Prescott or that he didn't want them? He came looking for the job and I don't think moving forward with Prescott wouldn't have been a requirement of any candidate considered for the job. The Joneses had been effusive in their praise of their 4th round QB.

Not many guys get considered for HC jobs when they interview with "well, ya gotta get rid of the starter for 3 years, and the guy you love, and let's roll the dice on another GB" when the guy that picked him is still there.

Greg, give the old coot a break and consider there is a possibility he figured out what he'd been doing wasn't working and he needed to give his next HC, a veteran one, more leeway in running his team. He required a vet for a reason. He'd tried training a HC and that didn't work out very well.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What I am doing is drawing some conclusions you don't like or agree with because you want the Booger as marionette operator to continue.

Now, who is drawing conclusions that McC was required to keep Moore or Prescott or that he didn't want them? He came looking for the job and I don't think moving forward with Prescott wouldn't have been a requirement of any candidate considered for the job. The Joneses had been effusive in their praise of their 4th round QB.

Not many guys get considered for HC jobs when they interview with "well, ya gotta get rid of the starter for 3 years, and the guy you love, and let's roll the dice on another GB" when the guy that picked him is still there.

Greg, give the old coot a break and consider there is a possibility he figured out what he'd been doing wasn't working and he needed to give his next HC, a veteran one, more leeway in running his team. He required a vet for a reason. He'd tried training a HC and that didn't work out very well.
We can begin to formulate looking ahead to the season acknowledging a good draft with a new HC without hopes Jerry has changed.

He fought and crawled up into his corner kicking and screaming against releasing Garrett when we all knew it was what had to be done. Then hired the first one who showed up after his token Rooney Rule applicant.

There is some cause for optimism with a new coaching regime but it doesn't to need to revolve around a false hope“ the old coot” is changing. He still is the biggest obstacle.

MrPhil

Reaction score
Agree with everything you said CC.

For me, it is very simple. I have felt the malaise from the past 20 years impact my level of excitement for each new season. This draft has given me hope in the future and will help to re-ignite that passion and excitement.

ESisback

Reaction score
Pshaw and hrumph, poor ole CC needs all the love he can get. But acr, you are onto something there. You know that saying "the way to man's heart is through his stomach"? Some feel the way to CC's head is through is butt, where he likes to store it.
CC Butthead!

ESisback

Reaction score

Greg hates Jerry and wants him gone. Your suggestion that Booger may finally be “getting it” is unfamiliar territory and makes him uncomfortable.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Greg hates Jerry and wants him gone. Your suggestion that Booger may finally be “getting it” is unfamiliar territory and makes him uncomfortable.
Do we really think Jerry got it as he was continuing to finagle a way to keep Jason to the very end when we all knew there was no wayyyyy to save face with the fans.

The fact public pressure was too overwhelming for him to save face doesn’t mean Jerry is “ getting it”.

I’d hope for nothing more than for this to be true. But this was a move motivated in similar fashion to him bringing in Parcells. He really had no other choice.

And yes , I’d hope we’d all want Jerry gone. He is afterall the most hated sports personality in Dallas.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’m not sure why it’s not enough to instill hope with a new HC and renewed optimism heading into a new season without needing to claim Jerry is “ getting it”.

Why is it even necessary to bring him into the discussion?

Initially I responded positively acknowledging the draft was considered a success . But it’s not enough for some fans to leave it there. And why it sparked my response.

ESisback

Reaction score
Do we really think Jerry got it as he was continuing to finagle a way to keep Jason to the very end when we all knew there was no wayyyyy to save face with the fans.

The fact public pressure was too overwhelming for him to save face doesn’t mean Jerry is “ getting it”.

I’d hope for nothing more than for this to be true. But this was a move motivated in similar fashion to him bringing in Parcells. He really had no other choice.

And yes , I’d hope we’d all want Jerry gone. He is afterall the most hated sports personality in Dallas.
Most hated AND most loved, just like his team. Personally, I’m in the middle.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Most hated AND most loved, just like his team. Personally, I’m in the middle.
The team is most loved. Jerry is most hated.

There’s no in the middle. We love the Cowboys and hate Jerry.

The Cowboys are Dallas’ team. Jerry is just the current key holder. It will end at some point and the Cowboys will still be here.

ESisback

Reaction score
The team is most loved. Jerry is most hated.

There’s no in the middle. We love the Cowboys and hate Jerry.

The Cowboys are Dallas’ team. Jerry is just the current key holder. It will end at some point and the Cowboys will still be here.

Don’t say “we”, say “you”. You remind me of AC defending Dak at all costs—stubborn in a delusional way.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Don’t say “we”, say “you”. You remind me of AC defending Dak at all costs—stubborn in a delusional way.
Then the entire city of Dallas’ Cowboy fans are delusional as Jerry is hated but the Cowboys are loved.

Not sure why there are those who struggle with hating the owner while loving the team?

ESisback

Reaction score
Earth to Greg, Earth to Greg...

Yes, Jerry is a drunken perv with a giant ego, a meddler and a gambler who has embarrassed this franchise many times and made tons of enemies. His pressers are often a mess, and he has a laundry list of mistakes and indiscretions.

Also, he’s one of the richest, most successful businessmen in the world, owner of America’s Team, with three Lombardi’s and a yellow jacket. He’s donated millions to charity and has more friends and admirers than anyone on this forum.

The FACTS say that the Cowboys AND Jerry are the most loved AND hated, and anyone that disputes that is delusional and has an agenda.

Confirm it by disputing this.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Earth to Greg, Earth to Greg...

Yes, Jerry is a drunken perv with a giant ego, a meddler and a gambler who has embarrassed this franchise many times and made tons of enemies. His pressers are often a mess, and he has a laundry list of mistakes and indiscretions.

Also, he’s one of the richest, most successful businessmen in the world, owner of America’s Team, with three Lombardi’s and a yellow jacket. He’s donated millions to charity and has more friends and admirers than anyone on this forum.

The FACTS say that the Cowboys AND Jerry are the most loved AND hated, and anyone that disputes that is delusional and has an agenda.

Confirm it by disputing this.
Yes, the team is loved and the owner is hated by Cowboy fans. Is this what you are saying ?

Or is this where you get frustrated and begin insulting because it doesn’t meet your view.

You can’t say you hate Jerry while loving the Cowboys. Can you? Dallas can.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Cowboy fans in Dallas don’t give a crap about Jerry’s financial success.

We hate the way he runs our favorite franchise and everything he represents. That’s Homer BS we couldn’t give a ratsass about.

Fans sucking up to Jerry is embarrassing.

ESisback

Reaction score
Yes, the team is loved and the owner is hated by Cowboy fans. Is this what you are saying ?

Or is this where you get frustrated and begin insulting because it doesn’t meet your view. You can’t say you hate Jerry while loving the Cowboys. Can you? Dallas can.

There are Dallas fans that hate Jerry.
There are Dallas fans that love Jerry.
There are Dallas fans that see both sides.
There are fans that hate both.
There are people who don’t care about either.

People don’t get frustrated because you have a different opinion. They get frustrated by your stubborn, endless denial, how you deflect and talk in circles, even after you’re proven wrong.