It was all visible a mile away

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This off-season, it was certainly obvious even to the average fan (and more importantly football experts) that the Cowboys needed major help at several positions including C, LT, LB, but most glaringly at DT and RB. It was visible a mile away. What did our FO do to address these positions?
  • Drafted Tyler Guyton and Cooper Beebe to shore up OL needs. (Both appear to have major upside)
  • Drafted DE Marshawn Kneeland who has good upside as an edge run stopper, and has flashed some good potential.
  • Drafted LB Marist Liafau who also shown potential.
  • Drafted CB Caelen Carson who also has flashed lots of upside.
  • Drafted WR Ryan Flournoy in round 6. Has made the team but hasn’t played yet.
  • Drafted two 7th rounders - a long shot T Nathan Thomas (on IR) and DT Justin Rogers who was cut.
The penny pinching Cowboys Free agency moves to address needs: Signed retread RB Royce Freeman, now on his 5th team in 6 years, a slow and washed up Zeke Elliott, and eventually signed DT Linvall Joseph from his retirement couch. Then in August traded for DT Jordan Phillips who has just been placed on IR for a wrist injury Phillips says is “fine”. Ouuuuuch!

After two games this season, the two positions that scream “help needed immediately“ are DT and RB. Just like they were back in March when the off-season started.

In the Cowboys last 16 games (including last year’s playoff loss to GB) we have literally been blown out by teams that were physical and could run the ball and we could not run the ball against them. We lost to SF 42-10, Buffalo 31-10, GB 48-32, and to NO 44-19. In each of those blowout losses, it was obvious we can’t stop the run, nor run the ball.

Heading into game 3, I don’t know what this organization can do to fix these huge holes at DT and RB except try to make a trade or get lucky finding a player in the trash heap. Both are long shots. And I go back to March when options were available especially in the draft. It was visible a mile away.

Jipper

Reaction score
Agreed and unfortunately this is probably a translation year where they will fill all the gaps next seasons draft and then have a 2ish to 3ish year window open with everyone signed and the core on rookie contracts.

It’s OK - this year they will win some big lose some big and a few in between - wild card is obtainable as is right at 500 - I think winning the nfce will be very tough but they should still be in it come December.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Perfectly fine with bringing zeke back for cheap and specific roles. I'd "trade" every other rb on site for a young hot shot.

But it probably wouldn't matter....we haven't yet fixed o line blocking or run game management.

The 30,000 ft view is a hot mess. Stressing passing game.

kskboys

Reaction score
This off-season, it was certainly obvious even to the average fan (and more importantly football experts) that the Cowboys needed major help at several positions including C, LT, LB, but most glaringly at DT and RB. It was visible a mile away. What did our FO do to address these positions?
  • Drafted Tyler Guyton and Cooper Beebe to shore up OL needs. (Both appear to have major upside)
  • Drafted DE Marshawn Kneeland who has good upside as an edge run stopper, and has flashed some good potential.
  • Drafted two 7th rounders - a long shot T Nathan Thomas (on IR) and DT Justin Rogers who was cut.
The penny pinching Cowboys Free agency moves to address needs: Signed retread RB Royce Freeman, now on his 5th team in 6 years, a slow and washed up Zeke Elliott, and eventually signed DT Linvall Joseph from his retirement couch. Then in August traded for DT Jordan Phillips who has just been placed on IR for a wrist injury Phillips says is “fine”. Ouuuuuch!

After two games this season, the two positions that scream “help needed immediately“ are DT and RB. Just like they were back in March when the off-season started.

In the Cowboys last 16 games (including last year’s playoff loss to GB) we have literally been blown out by teams that were physical and could run the ball and we could not run the ball against them. We lost to SF 42-10, Buffalo 31-10, GB 48-32, and to NO 44-19. In each of those blowout losses, it was obvious we can’t stop the run, nor run the ball.

Heading into game 3, I don’t know what this organization can do to fix these huge holes at DT and RB except try to make a trade or get lucky finding a player in the trash heap. Both are long shots. And I go back to March when options were available especially in the draft. It was visible a mile away.
It was obvious to many that this was going to be a throwaway year. We're just not going anywhere w/ the personnel at RB or DT. Good thing is, it only takes one RB.

kskboys

Reaction score
Agreed and unfortunately this is probably a translation year where they will fill all the gaps next seasons draft and then have a 2ish to 3ish year window open with everyone signed and the core on rookie contracts.

It’s OK - this year they will win some big lose some big and a few in between - wild card is obtainable as is right at 500 - I think winning the nfce will be very tough but they should still be in it come December.
Since they haven't done this in many years, what makes you think they suddenly will?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Perfectly fine with bringing zeke back for cheap and specific roles. I'd "trade" every other rb on site for a young hot shot.

But it probably wouldn't matter....we haven't yet fixed o line blocking or run game management.

The 30,000 ft view is a hot mess. Stressing passing game.
And one HUGE reason the passing game is struggling is defenses don’t fear or respect our running game. The saints safeties were playing way deep Sunday because the front 7 was just fine stopping the run.

Having safeties playing deep takes away a ton of deep and intermediate routes which then makes the check downs become the most viable options.

If you don’t have a running game that can threaten a defense, passing becomes even harder.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score

The problem is it's the same flawed formula that they have been using. Very possible the majority from the list of DLaw, OSA, Jordan Lewis, Kendricks, Cooks, Zeke, Dowdle, Turpin, Anger, Martin, and both backup QBs are all gone in 2025. If they continue to count on hitting massively in the draft we are going to be saying the same thing next year. Its the never ending cycle of replacing talent with bottom tier FAs and expecting perfection from your draft classes. Its not a formula to improve the roster.

Jipper

Reaction score
Since they haven't done this in many years, what makes you think they suddenly will?
Well they have been filling them each year, seems like we are a rb and a dt or two away, that's where my optimism is coming from

Creeper

Reaction score
I totally agree. Taking off the rose colored glasses and looking at the roster I just cannot see how this team improved, and why our expectations would be for another winning season. I have to believe the Cowboys front office knew this would be a down year given the inactivity re-signing their own players, and signing the scraps we picked up from the junk heap. If Jerry Jones really believes the Cowboys can be competitive with 1 star WR, no star RB, an overpaid QB, and basically Micah Parsons on defense then we are in for some rough years as fans.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It was obvious to many that this was going to be a throwaway year.
This. And this is why Dak shouldn't have been signed when he was. If he went out and had another MVP caliber season and pushed us deep into the playoffs (or if he wasn't a part of the reason we lost) then fine, sign him to whatever deal. At least the timing would have made sense. 60 mil for the 22nd QBR ranked QB. Down there with the Daniel Joneses and Bo Nixes of the league. Sad.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I totally agree. Taking off the rose colored glasses and looking at the roster I just cannot see how this team improved, and why our expectations would be for another winning season. I have to believe the Cowboys front office knew this would be a down year given the inactivity re-signing their own players, and signing the scraps we picked up from the junk heap. If Jerry Jones really believes the Cowboys can be competitive with 1 star WR, no star RB, an overpaid QB, and basically Micah Parsons on defense then we are in for some rough years as fans.
Yeah, you don't win in this league by removing talent and replacing them with rookies and bum free agents. Anyone who thought the roster improved was living in a fantasy land where multiple rookies would be day 1 starters.

Jarntt

Reaction score

It's so far beyond any level of being acceptable when anyone who even somewhat pays attention can see how poor our talent was at certain positions and the morons responsible for running the team either didn't or did nothing to solve the problems. I'm not even sure which would be worse between not knowing and not doing anything about it if they did know..

Jipper

Reaction score
Yeah, you don't win in this league by removing talent and replacing them with rookies and bum free agents. Anyone who thought the roster improved was living in a fantasy land where multiple rookies would be day 1 starters.
I agree - but you do get better in the long run if you add more talent that develops and replace aging talent ( like Tyron smith). Problem is that at some point you have to add multiple FAs to close the gaps bc there is simply not enough draft capital to do it.

I would hope next year they add the final few line pieces and rb needed to close the gap, and then add the mid tier FAs to finish. No clue if it happens

Ussdelavan

Reaction score

Good post. Common denominator for 28 years…FO! I might even say we have seen this coming since Switzer. Calculate those miles?

fivetwos

Reaction score
I agree - but you do get better in the long run if you add more talent that develops and replace aging talent ( like Tyron smith). Problem is that at some point you have to add multiple FAs to close the gaps bc there is simply not enough draft capital to do it.

I would hope next year they add the final few line pieces and rb needed to close the gap, and then add the mid tier FAs to finish. No clue if it happens
I’m fully convinced that the best scouts and GM in history couldn’t make their plan work.

It’s impossible to hit on enough draft picks, and even if you do, you can’t keep even half of them eventually, so it would need to be consistent.

It really does suggest either delusion, or that they are satisfied being in contention every year but don’t care about getting over the top.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
These rookies showed promise in the first game, 2nd game you couldn't really tell

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

We know....we've read it here 1,000 times. Maybe the more it's brought up will change things...a time machine would come in handy.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
I was fine with not being active this off-season because I thought they were prepping the books to deal with the dead cap from Prescott leaving. Then they resigned him...right before the season started. WHY??? What was the point of not doing anything all off-season if you were just going to throw more money at the guy who can't play in big games?????