It was all visible a mile away

Jipper

Reaction score
I’m fully convinced that the best scouts and GM in history couldn’t make their plan work.

It’s impossible to hit on enough draft picks, and even if you do, you can’t keep even half of them eventually, so it would need to be consistent.

It really does suggest either delusion, or that they are satisfied being in contention every year but don’t care about getting over the top.
Yes you are spot on- at some point they have to realize they will have to augment with FA

Imagine if we were poor at drafting….we would look like the panthers

Creeper

Reaction score
Yeah, you don't win in this league by removing talent and replacing them with rookies and bum free agents. Anyone who thought the roster improved was living in a fantasy land where multiple rookies would be day 1 starters.
I just wonder if Jerry does have a play for next year or the next after that. At his age I would think he would be thinking only about this year but that does not seem to be the case. Or, he really thought he had something this year which would be even more scary.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Yes you are spot on- at some point they have to realize they will have to augment with FA

Imagine if we were poor at drafting….we would look like the panthers
Well, they were inches away from getting JC Horn instead of Parsons, and Klavon Chiasson instead of Lamb.

Think about where this team would be in that case.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I was fine with not being active this off-season because I thought they were prepping the books to deal with the dead cap from Prescott leaving. Then they resigned him...right before the season started. WHY??? What was the point of not doing anything all off-season if you were just going to throw more money at the guy who can't play in big games?????
This was my confusion as well. Had Jerry gotten this deal done back in March and used some of the cap savings to improve the roster for 2024 I would have understood that plan completely. Had Jerry just let things play out in 2024 and used this as a bit of a cap reset I would have understood that plan completely. Wasting an offseason only to end up giving Dak the same contract that had been projected for months really just shows that Jerry is 100% honest about his hanging around the rim quotes.

JBS

Reaction score
Agreed and unfortunately this is probably a translation year where they will fill all the gaps next seasons draft and then have a 2ish to 3ish year window open with everyone signed and the core on rookie contracts.

It’s OK - this year they will win some big lose some big and a few in between - wild card is obtainable as is right at 500 - I think winning the nfce will be very tough but they should still be in it come December.
This is a load of wishful thinking. Next year will present new holes, they’ll fill a few of them and we will go into next season with different needs. We are always left short bc we don’t use all the resources of team building. It’s a never ending cycle.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Well they have been filling them each year, seems like we are a rb and a dt or two away, that's where my optimism is coming from

They are always a few positions away.

They can’t fill every need in the draft because every off season new needs emerge as well.

Just like this upcoming off season.

Cooks becomes a FA. Martin likely retires.

So now we need a WR2, a RG, multiple DT’s and RB. At minimum next off season. Not to mention possibly WR3, LB depth since Kendricks will be gone, etc.

You ain’t landing all that in one draft.

They HAVE to be smarter players in FA and trades to get over the hump. It’s impossible to fill all the holes that generate on a team due to injury, contracts, retirement through just the draft.

Jipper

Reaction score

They can’t fill every need in the draft because every off season new needs emerge as well.

So now we need a WR2, a RG, multiple DT’s and RB. At minimum next off season. Not to mention possibly WR3, LB depth since Kendricks will be gone, etc.

They HAVE to be smarter players in FA and trades to get over the hump. It’s impossible to fill all the holes that generate on a team due to injury, contracts, retirement through just the draft.
I agree for sure on the FA

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I just wonder if Jerry does have a play for next year or the next after that. At his age I would think he would be thinking only about this year but that does not seem to be the case. Or, he really thought he had something this year which would be even more scary.
You think Jerry has a plan? :lmao:

gtb1943

Reaction score

another failure with their so called plan is they count on UDFA's and late rd picks to develop into good starters
Their 'plan' requires it
so unless they are much luckier than virtually any team ever has been as regards those areas, it will never work

rags747

Reaction score
This. And this is why Dak shouldn't have been signed when he was. If he went out and had another MVP caliber season and pushed us deep into the playoffs (or if he wasn't a part of the reason we lost) then fine, sign him to whatever deal. At least the timing would have made sense. 60 mil for the 22nd QBR ranked QB. Down there with the Daniel Joneses and Bo Nixes of the league. Sad.
Agreed. Dak at $60m was a huge mistake. CD at $34m was not far behind. Should have traded both for Multiples of 1’s 2’s and 3’s And rolled with Lance.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
As much as the franchise has blatantly ignored the DT position, I'm fairly confident they'll be better prepared. It's a lot of rotation. I'm much more concerned about the severe lack of RB talent.
It's very bad.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
Agreed. Dak at $60m was a huge mistake. CD at $34m was not far behind. Should have traded both for Multiples of 1’s 2’s and 3’s And rolled with Lance.
If the Cowboys are rebuilding, yes. But JJ ain't got time for that, literally. Death, Alzheimer's or dementia await him, and he knows that. The clock to win another Superbowl is ticking loud in his head.

We have little chance to win a Superbowl with the Dak + McCarthy duo, but we have zero chance with Lance. Yes, those future 1s, 2s and 3s could work out and produce a juggernaut of a team, but that could be too late for Jerry.

fivetwos

Reaction score
and Paxton Lynch instead of Dak.
Yes! That situation is a perfect example of the dysfunction, so I’ll veer a bit….

There’s a documentary out there about the 2017 team, that ends up showing exactly how inept Garrett and his staff actually were, but not the most stunning part…

There’s a clip with Jerry on the phone with Denver trying to move up for Lynch. He puts them on hold to tell Stephen they want a third to move down, what was about 5-6 spots in the late first….

Stephens reply: “that’s too expensive.”

I ask of all of you….if they thought Lynch could be your future QB, why is a third round pick too expensive, and why was Stephen pre-occupied while Jerry is trying to land this supposed future franchise QB?

Forget about what Lynch actually became. That’s irrelevant to the point.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You think Jerry has a plan? :lmao:
He has a plan to keep taking money from the fans and haters, alike. That plan has worked out well for him. Win early, hook em and ride them all the way to the bank.
I bet he made some good money from all the Saints fans celebrating at AT&T on Sunday

Havic

Reaction score
Last season was the all in year. RBs can be found. We had an opportunity to draft one in the 4th but chose the LB instead. A good DT is about as rare as great QBs in this league. Everybody needs one but few have one

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I love it ...... keep it up Jerry

All you are doing is making even the most rabid lap dog disloyal to you.

Maybe in a few years all of your sycophants will wake up and start calling you out.

rambo2

Reaction score
This off-season, it was certainly obvious even to the average fan (and more importantly football experts) that the Cowboys needed major help at several positions including C, LT, LB, but most glaringly at DT and RB. It was visible a mile away. What did our FO do to address these positions?
  • Drafted Tyler Guyton and Cooper Beebe to shore up OL needs. (Both appear to have major upside)
  • Drafted DE Marshawn Kneeland who has good upside as an edge run stopper, and has flashed some good potential.
  • Drafted LB Marist Liafau who also shown potential.
  • Drafted CB Caelen Carson who also has flashed lots of upside.
  • Drafted WR Ryan Flournoy in round 6. Has made the team but hasn’t played yet.
  • Drafted two 7th rounders - a long shot T Nathan Thomas (on IR) and DT Justin Rogers who was cut.
The penny pinching Cowboys Free agency moves to address needs: Signed retread RB Royce Freeman, now on his 5th team in 6 years, a slow and washed up Zeke Elliott, and eventually signed DT Linvall Joseph from his retirement couch. Then in August traded for DT Jordan Phillips who has just been placed on IR for a wrist injury Phillips says is “fine”. Ouuuuuch!

After two games this season, the two positions that scream “help needed immediately“ are DT and RB. Just like they were back in March when the off-season started.

In the Cowboys last 16 games (including last year’s playoff loss to GB) we have literally been blown out by teams that were physical and could run the ball and we could not run the ball against them. We lost to SF 42-10, Buffalo 31-10, GB 48-32, and to NO 44-19. In each of those blowout losses, it was obvious we can’t stop the run, nor run the ball.

Heading into game 3, I don’t know what this organization can do to fix these huge holes at DT and RB except try to make a trade or get lucky finding a player in the trash heap. Both are long shots. And I go back to March when options were available especially in the draft. It was visible a mile away.
Absolutely nothing wrong with what they drafted.