It was all visible a mile away

CCBoy

Reaction score
These posts are amazing.

But yeah, DT and RB where an issue last year and still. What did the regime do? Nothing, just like what happened with the Safety position last decade. They got cheap players or 6th rounders and it was disastrous.

Now its DT. But yeah, who cares? The regime still happy because fans keep going to the stadium and medía continues to talk about the team.

So, for the rest of us who actually cares, we have to pray and wait for a Mahomes type QB to fall from heaven, and thats just to be competitive…
The answer here is if with talent on active roster and practice squad can this be changed and not always handled.

Hadenough

Reaction score
This off-season, it was certainly obvious even to the average fan (and more importantly football experts) that the Cowboys needed major help at several positions including C, LT, LB, but most glaringly at DT and RB. It was visible a mile away. What did our FO do to address these positions?
  • Drafted Tyler Guyton and Cooper Beebe to shore up OL needs. (Both appear to have major upside)
  • Drafted DE Marshawn Kneeland who has good upside as an edge run stopper, and has flashed some good potential.
  • Drafted LB Marist Liafau who also shown potential.
  • Drafted CB Caelen Carson who also has flashed lots of upside.
  • Drafted WR Ryan Flournoy in round 6. Has made the team but hasn’t played yet.
  • Drafted two 7th rounders - a long shot T Nathan Thomas (on IR) and DT Justin Rogers who was cut.
The penny pinching Cowboys Free agency moves to address needs: Signed retread RB Royce Freeman, now on his 5th team in 6 years, a slow and washed up Zeke Elliott, and eventually signed DT Linvall Joseph from his retirement couch. Then in August traded for DT Jordan Phillips who has just been placed on IR for a wrist injury Phillips says is “fine”. Ouuuuuch!

After two games this season, the two positions that scream “help needed immediately“ are DT and RB. Just like they were back in March when the off-season started.

In the Cowboys last 16 games (including last year’s playoff loss to GB) we have literally been blown out by teams that were physical and could run the ball and we could not run the ball against them. We lost to SF 42-10, Buffalo 31-10, GB 48-32, and to NO 44-19. In each of those blowout losses, it was obvious we can’t stop the run, nor run the ball.

Heading into game 3, I don’t know what this organization can do to fix these huge holes at DT and RB except try to make a trade or get lucky finding a player in the trash heap. Both are long shots. And I go back to March when options were available especially in the draft. It was visible a mile away.
It's the Cowboy way Bob! It's interesting because so many fans including former fans (myself) have seen this for decades. Jerry always looks for a bargain instead of just pony up and.pay the big DT. Jerry got burned a couple times by signing Galloway and a couple secondary guys but Jerry never wants to put money into the big DT.
This thing with Phillips is interesting because I think he is speaking up complaining and isn't a yes sir guy and Jerry said put him on IR.

kskboys

Reaction score
It's the Cowboy way Bob! It's interesting because so many fans including former fans (myself) have seen this for decades. Jerry always looks for a bargain instead of just pony up and.pay the big DT. Jerry got burned a couple times by signing Galloway and a couple secondary guys but Jerry never wants to put money into the big DT.
This thing with Phillips is interesting because I think he is speaking up complaining and isn't a yes sir guy and Jerry said put him on IR.
The big money skill positions put fans in the seats and sell jerseys. Jerry has always spent a fortune on those, which is why we don't win playoff games.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Inspires a lot of confidence in big and little when the fans know more about the state of the roster more than they do

zekecowboy

Reaction score
This off-season, it was certainly obvious even to the average fan (and more importantly football experts) that the Cowboys needed major help at several positions including C, LT, LB, but most glaringly at DT and RB. It was visible a mile away. What did our FO do to address these positions?
  • Drafted Tyler Guyton and Cooper Beebe to shore up OL needs. (Both appear to have major upside)
  • Drafted DE Marshawn Kneeland who has good upside as an edge run stopper, and has flashed some good potential.
  • Drafted LB Marist Liafau who also shown potential.
  • Drafted CB Caelen Carson who also has flashed lots of upside.
  • Drafted WR Ryan Flournoy in round 6. Has made the team but hasn’t played yet.
  • Drafted two 7th rounders - a long shot T Nathan Thomas (on IR) and DT Justin Rogers who was cut.
The penny pinching Cowboys Free agency moves to address needs: Signed retread RB Royce Freeman, now on his 5th team in 6 years, a slow and washed up Zeke Elliott, and eventually signed DT Linvall Joseph from his retirement couch. Then in August traded for DT Jordan Phillips who has just been placed on IR for a wrist injury Phillips says is “fine”. Ouuuuuch!

After two games this season, the two positions that scream “help needed immediately“ are DT and RB. Just like they were back in March when the off-season started.

In the Cowboys last 16 games (including last year’s playoff loss to GB) we have literally been blown out by teams that were physical and could run the ball and we could not run the ball against them. We lost to SF 42-10, Buffalo 31-10, GB 48-32, and to NO 44-19. In each of those blowout losses, it was obvious we can’t stop the run, nor run the ball.

Heading into game 3, I don’t know what this organization can do to fix these huge holes at DT and RB except try to make a trade or get lucky finding a player in the trash heap. Both are long shots. And I go back to March when options were available especially in the draft. It was visible a mile away.
It was visible miles away. Dallas lost defensive tackles and running back free agents to other teams in March. You can't replace these players with cheap replacements that are close to retirement. Jerry has made 2024 a REBUILD year.

J_Allen

Reaction score
Defensive tackle has been visible 10 Mi away for the past 10 years so that means it's been visible for 100 miles going into this season. We simply won't fix it.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I agree. The neglect at DT has made Mike Zimmer's defense look just as bad as Dan Quinn's in the playoff loss.

The issue with this team, especially on defense, looks to be personnel and not coaching. You can't ask a world famous chef to produce a five star meal when you give him a box of cereal and a bag of croutons.