It was all visible a mile away

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This off-season, it was certainly obvious even to the average fan (and more importantly football experts) that the Cowboys needed major help at several positions including C, LT, LB, but most glaringly at DT and RB. It was visible a mile away. What did our FO do to address these positions?
Would you have posted this after the Browns game?

4.0 YPC and everyone thought we were watching the next version of Doomsday.

I don't disagree with your OP. In fact I think it's spot on. Just interesting timing.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Not filling glaring holes is a hallmark of the Jones regime. I can remember even back like 2008 when Brad Johnson was playing in the pre-season and just had no zip on the ball whatsoever. You could tell he was absolutely cooked and needed to be replaced. Sure enough, Romo goes down and Johnson is god awful. Maybe the worst 3 games I have ever seen an NFL QB play that wasn't a rookie.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This. And this is why Dak shouldn't have been signed when he was. If he went out and had another MVP caliber season and pushed us deep into the playoffs (or if he wasn't a part of the reason we lost) then fine, sign him to whatever deal. At least the timing would have made sense. 60 mil for the 22nd QBR ranked QB. Down there with the Daniel Joneses and Bo Nixes of the league. Sad.
Dak, Dak, Dak, Dak, Dak, Dak! You’re obsession has consumed you.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Okay then, so this year is a throwaway year and we have begun to retool in the necessary positions, which is what this team needed to do. This begs the question, why on earth did we sign our QB to this massive contract? Do we think that in the next 1-2 years, we will draft our way to a Super Bowl? Surely, we won't have money in FA to do so, so why go down the road we did?

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Agreed and unfortunately this is probably a translation year where they will fill all the gaps next seasons draft and then have a 2ish to 3ish year window open with everyone signed and the core on rookie contracts.

It’s OK - this year they will win some big lose some big and a few in between - wild card is obtainable as is right at 500 - I think winning the nfce will be very tough but they should still be in it come December.
Why are we having transition years still? All of these needs could have been filled in the draft and free agency but they chose to ignore them and go the cheap route. RB and DT was a glaring need once last season ended. Should have drafted both.

gtb1943

Reaction score
As much as the franchise has blatantly ignored the DT position, I'm fairly confident they'll be better prepared. It's a lot of rotation. I'm much more concerned about the severe lack of RB talent.
It's very bad.
you cannot make a silk purse out of a cows ear and what makes you think this bunch is going to get it right on DT?

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Not filling glaring holes is a hallmark of the Jones regime. I can remember even back like 2008 when Brad Johnson was playing in the pre-season and just had no zip on the ball whatsoever. You could tell he was absolutely cooked and needed to be replaced. Sure enough, Romo goes down and Johnson is god awful. Maybe the worst 3 games I have ever seen an NFL QB play that wasn't a rookie.
Oh yes. Brad "noodle arm" Johnson. Probably the worse back up QB to ever play for the Cowboys!!

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Okay then, so this year is a throwaway year and we have begun to retool in the necessary positions, which is what this team needed to do. This begs the question, why on earth did we sign our QB to this massive contract? Do we think that in the next 1-2 years, we will draft our way to a Super Bowl? Surely, we won't have money in FA to do so, so why go down the road we did?
You do realize the salary cap goes up every year, right? These contracts now are going to count even less percentage wise to the increased cap as the years go by. Go look at what the Rams did in 2021. Went all in. Eagles have did it, too. You can always sign the guys you want if you choose to. Money can always be moved around by the front office. Dak's contract is not going to handcuff us from building the roster contrary to what so many think. The problem is, this front office has no idea how to build a playoff winning roster.

gtb1943

Reaction score
You do realize the salary cap goes up every year, right? These contracts now are going to count even less percentage wise to the increased cap as the years go by. Go look at what the Rams did in 2021. Went all in. Eagles have did it, too. You can always sign the guys you want if you choose to. Money can always be moved around by the front office. Dak's contract is not going to handcuff us from building the roster contrary to what so many think. The problem is, this front office has no idea how to build a playoff winning roster.
true as long as the cap goes up as forecasted this is not a crippling contract. Even if we sigh Micah to a big one next year we are not going to be cap crippled. The money will be there.
THE PROBLEM is that this FO cannot get it through its head that only dumpster diving in FA is a losing plan.

rambo2

Reaction score
They very well could start 4 and 1 or 3 and 2 and you call it a throwaway year.

Jipper

Reaction score
Why are we having transition years still? All of these needs could have been filled in the draft and free agency but they chose to ignore them and go the cheap route. RB and DT was a glaring need once last season ended. Should have drafted both.
Well the reality is the line and lbs got old and had to be swapped, which they have

When you don’t use FA you can only fill what you get in the draft and that’s usually 1 to 2 starters per draft with a few more backups that could maybe become a low level.starter.

This is the issue…they get an A for drafting and an F for fa and end up being a B- team

ShiningStar

Reaction score
I was down for all this, even stated this many times, HOWEVER, it is all gone. all of it. By signing Dak JJ basically said, no thats not the case. If it was the case, try out Trey, see how it goes, get a young QB in the next draft or FA one you really want. No, by signing Dak JJ just said, Pysch, im not doing that. same ol same going forward.

I do feel, this is my personal opinion. Since the speculation is gone. I feel JJ hires Bill B to get his record, this way DAllas has no pressure on them, just get him his wins. If not, which is soooo Jerry with a back up plan, Zimmer becomes the HC and its straight Ho Hum until Zimmer is gone.

But NO, this is not a throw away year to get better. They know waht they have in Dak, Dak knows what Dak has and anyone who has finally woken up, even us Dak fans knows Dak cant get us over the hump.

With that, we move on to what the next HC can do for JJ. Not many options, but thats ok when you re not shooting for the SB, you can make it easy on yourself. JJ has this all worked out and Stephen if need be will and carry out an unabmitious plan such as this.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
You are bang on, which has me more puzzled. The Rams and Iggles have a front office that has a clue how to build, and they have/are building around their QB's. Why sign Dak if we refuse and don't know how to build around him?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It was obvious we were never going to improve with our RB situation and going from Dan Quinn to Zimmer. We lost too many experienced players and did virtually nothing in free agency. A lot of fans tried talking up Zimmer like he was going to be an upgrade over Quinn. Lol At best we have the same defense we had last year. Great one week and garbage the next. It only took until week two for the defense to completely crap the bed. If we lose to Baltimore, even in a competitive game this is going to be a long season. The teams confidence has to be pretty shaken after the embarrassment last Sunday. That was worse than what we saw against Green Bay in the playoffs. If we lose on Sunday, that will be three straight losses at home dating back to the playoff loss to Green Bay. If we have no home field advantage, this season could end up being a real nightmare.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
They very well could start 4 and 1 or 3 and 2 and you call it a throwaway year.
I am not calling it a throwaway year, follow this thread. The idea in this thread is that this is a throwaway year, and if so so will be the next 1 or 2 years which is the minimum to put a competitive team on the field. If this is the plan from the Jones' then why sign Dak? In 3 years he his in his mid 30's.....nothing they do makes sense