It's amazing what a real GM and coaching staff can do!

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Enough here,Eagles have a qualified GM and a qualified head coach! We have Jerry the oilman and are expecting what here? My fellow Boys fans keep your expectations low as it will get worse before it gets better in Jerry's world....

John813

Reaction score
After Jimmy left, why didn't he win another Super Bowl?

Jimmy , according to most here, was the greatest coach/ talent evaluator this franchize has had.

If coaching is everything, why didn't he win another Superbowl?

If you ask me, coaching is as important as the talent on the team.

It has become popular to bash coaching because we lose, but maybe we are just not talented enough...

Trust me, I hate Garrett as much as the next guy, but at the end of the day, coaches call the plays and players execute. Nothing more nothing less..

Now, for those who say that our system is old and outdated because opposing players call out our plays, I have one question...

Is the Patriot's system old and outdated?
It must be because I saw Romo call out their plays time after time..

It's one thing to know what' coming and it's another thing to stop them.

Coaching is overrated.

I watched Jimmy in Miami.
1: He failed to get new(younger) weapons for Marino. Busts at RB/WR. Built the defense(Z Thomas, Taylor, Surtain, Madison to name a handful) but the offense didn't have the talent needed at RB/WR to break through when the defense he built was "ready". Their offense became non existent in the postseason. That D-line of Armstrong-Bowens-Gardener-Taylor was a treat to me.
2. Him and Marino did not get along.
3. He lost that fire after his mom died.
4. Like Dallas, he quickly got "worn out" and wanted to retire after the 98/99 season. The following season they won the wild card only to get destroyed by the Jags.
5. He was given the GM keys, so no excuses there about personnel. He struck gold in Dallas with the Walker deal and landing Emmitt that late in the first round. Couldn't strike gold twice.

I'm not sure what to make of Jimmy. Obviously he did great here and his players still support him from his stint here. Who knows how much motivation he had in Miami compared to going to Dallas alongside his former friend in Jones.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
We could pick up the most talented QB that the Draft has to offer and his talents may be good enough where he could overcome Garrett and have a great first season. But then once defenses study his play and his skills and readjust to gameplan him, then he will be limited and held back. Because Garrett is just going to call the same predictable plays over and over again.

The Eagles front office gets coaches, players and a playcalling system to build around and support their QBs best skills. And we have a bunch of people saying that Garrett's playcalling is predictable and the same plays are ran over and over again. Players who have played for Garrett have said this and players who played against Garrett's offenses have said this. Manage to get a QB in free agency and he'll still be limited under Garrett's system.

Which is why even if Dak is benched for another QB, the Cowboys problems will not be magically solved as long as Garrett is here with the same outdated systems.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Roseman has been their GM for 8 years. They've been to the playoffs 3 times and last week was their first playoff win during that time.

Exactly what are the criteria for being a "real" GM?

In title only. When Chip Kelly arrived, Roseman had to cede control of personnel to Chip. So, they neutered him to get chip kelly. What you are seeing now is the result of Howie feverishly working to undo all of chip kelly's mistakes. The Eagles were 7-9 2 years ago when Chip left.

aria

Reaction score
I don’t know.. maybe the same person that had a guy like Brad Johnson who couldn’t throw past 15 yards anymore as his backup QB here and Cassell, as well as Kitna.

You know the guys whose tendency when in total control of the offense is to go out and yet QB that have played. multiple years even when washed up, but is supposedly a QB guru.

They went Weeden while waiting for Orton to make his decision to come back or not.
So Jerry had nothing to do with those decisions? or McClay or Stephen?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
After Jimmy left, why didn't he win another Super Bowl?

Jimmy , according to most here, was the greatest coach/ talent evaluator this franchize has had.

If coaching is everything, why didn't he win another Superbowl?

If you ask me, coaching is as important as the talent on the team.

It has become popular to bash coaching because we lose, but maybe we are just not talented enough...

Trust me, I hate Garrett as much as the next guy, but at the end of the day, coaches call the plays and players execute. Nothing more nothing less..

Now, for those who say that our system is old and outdated because opposing players call out our plays, I have one question...

Is the Patriot's system old and outdated?
It must be because I saw Romo call out their plays time after time..

It's one thing to know what' coming and it's another thing to stop them.

Coaching is overrated.
Good post but coaching is as integral as roster talent and ownership. There must be an internal balance for teams to achieve success.

“...but at the end of the day, coaches call the plays and players execute. Nothing more nothing less.” is true in all sports. FWIW, I am glad you introduced the concept into the thread. In-game coaching misjudgments can be laid solidly at Garrett & Co.’s feet. The now classic decision of not handing the ball to a fully rested and healthy post-suspension Elliott at the 2-yard line against the Seahawks weeks ago is one of a number of seasonal examples. Coaching cannot be overrated in that basic essential regard.

Fundamental football execution—passing, catching, blocking, holding onto the ball, knowing the snap count, etc.—is also the responsibility of coaches but only to a certain degree. The vast accountability for execution falls on the shoulders of each player during each play and every down. Why are catchable passes hitting the ground? Why are defenders in good position not making tackles? Why are false starts being committed, especially in crucial down and distance situations? These are a couple of failures that end up shortcircuiting drives, changing momentum, altering field position, etc.

Yes, coaching can and does help train players to minimize those deficiencies. Yet it is on every player, regardless of their individual talent level, to do their assigned job every snap. This important aspect does not get the attention it deserves during discussions that revolve mainly around owner, head coach, and quarterback. Thankfully it is not ignored by all.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Eagles pick up Long, Jeffrey, etc. and go to the SB.

Cowboys pick up Thornton, Carroll, Bell, R. McClain, etc. and not only don't go to the SB, most of the players aren't even here anymore, or in the case of Bell, i.e., are mediocre at best.

Rich Gosselin on the Cowboys show every week put it succinctly - the Pats, etc. build a 53 man roster, where the "next man up" is truly that, another good player. Cowboys build a 5 man "superstar" roster, so if one or two of the 5 go down, the team collapses....

Dre11

Reaction score
The FA moves paid off and got them to SB.
Dallas might have gotten into play offs had they made the right FA moves.
They only needed 2 more wins.
Had they got in, who knows?
No GB, or Seattle to get by.
Could have been Dallas going to
SB!

If they don't win it. Then What?

khiladi

Reaction score
So Jerry had nothing to do with those decisions? or McClay or Stephen?

McClay has nothing to do with Johnson or Kitna because he wasn’t here. And of course the Jones are responsible, just like they are responsible for hiring the Clapper and keeping the incompetent joke of a HC around. And just like Father Garrett is also part of the disastrous decisions, being on the level of both Lacewell and Stephen, who are also responsible, in scouting since 1997. And just like Judd Garrett is responsible as Director of Pro Scouting now and so on.. and just like John Garrett as passing game coordinator was responsible for trying to fit his per project Kevin Ogletree in the offense as third WR despite sucking..

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Look at those Eagles go with a backup qb!

Actually it's not amazing at all. Anyone that has half a brain and understands the game even a little knows that the head coach and the person who picks the players are the two most valuable people in the organization. The QB is next but is way down the list from those two. Football has been, is, and always will be a sport where good coaching can win with less talent. It happens every week in the NFL.

aria

Reaction score
McClay has nothing to do with Johnson or Kitna because he wasn’t here. And of course the Jones are responsible, just like they are responsible for hiring the Clapper and keeping the incompetent joke of a HC around. And just like Father Garrett is also part of the disastrous decisions, being on the level of both Lacewell and Stephen, who are also responsible, on scouting since 2007. And just like Judd Garrett is responsible as Director of Pro Scouting and so on.. and just like John Garrett as passing game coordinator was responsible for trying to fit his per project Kevin Ogletree in the offense as third WR despite sucking..
Alrighty then, so we have come to an agreement.

Dre11

Reaction score
This is stupid beyond comprehension. And in an earlier post you said the Eagles now will be in capHell. Wrong again. They actually have moves to make to have an additional $30 in space. Cutting or trading Curry, Celek and Peters puts money in their pockets.
Which of those players do you see them needing to make another run? None. They will trade players to get picks (Foles and Curry) this run this year is actually two years early. They have their roster mostly in tact for the next two season. I thought that's when they would make a run. Their ahead of schedule.

And when they make those moves, you think they're going to be the same team...lol you pay for spending big in free agency, it's proven across the board. Ask the Giants,Commanders,philly a few years ago.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
It's just amazing to me how lucky the Patriots are - Jacksonville gets a lead, then commits 47 yards of stupid penalties and allows the Pats to get right back in the game.

They continue to run Fornette up the middle time after time, despite getting only 1-2 yards ever time. They get great results from their no. 30, then totally abandon him in the second half. They need 8 yards for a first down and go to a deep pass despite the Pats showing a huge pass rush, instead of going to a screen or quick slant to get the first down.

The Patriots have every team except the Giants totally cowed...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Really the key to the Pats win was neutering the Jags pass rush, I said before the game Campbell was the key - shut him down and Brady will have all day to pick apart the defense, which he did. Campbell? 2 tackles, 1 assist. No sacks.

Too many times the Jags defense had players standing around looking totally lost on defense. That's what a varied offense will do for you, not that the Cowboys know what that is...

DenCWBY

Reaction score
The FA moves paid off and got them to SB.
Dallas might have gotten into play offs had they made the right FA moves.
They only needed 2 more wins.
Had they got in, who knows?
No GB, or Seattle to get by.
Could have been Dallas going to
SB!
Highly unlikely with this coach and front office. Once you get the FA's, you have to put them in positions to succeed. You have to design and redesign and constantly adjust to what the opponent(s) are doing. You have to have leadership to bring them all together to believe in themselves and their mission. We have none of that.