It's basically impossible that Blake Jarwin doesn't have a great year!

blueblood70

Reaction score
I’ll believe it when I see it. We have underutilized TEs for so long that I actually won’t believe we know how to use them until I see it consistently.
underutilized? for so so long so long but somehow JWitt is the leader ALL TIME in receptions and Tds by anyone for the DC thats all the WRs as well..

hes A TE RIGHT?

going to the HOF to boot..sure his play dropped off and now replacing a HOF TE is tough but to say underutilized and yet not only is he the leader in tds and receptions at TE but also for all WRS thats ever came through here..think about that..

kumizi

Reaction score
underutilized? for so so long so long but somehow JWitt is the leader ALL TIME in receptions and Tds by anyone for the DC thats all the WRs as well..

hes A TE RIGHT?

going to the HOF to boot..sure his play dropped off and now replacing a HOF TE is tough but to say underutilized and yet not only is he the leader in tds and receptions at TE but also for all WRS thats ever came through here..think about that..

This shows a complete lack of understanding of how stats work.

He has piled up those stats because he played for 16 years and was for all purposes the only tight end on the field in a league where most teams have multiple guys catching passes.

If you want to refute a claim that the Cowboys under utilize the TE position, show some stats how many yards per year their TEs get vs other teams.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Jarwin will be the forgotten man here with all the weapons the Cowboys have on offense. There is no way that other teams can prepare for Zeke, Lamb, Cooper, Gallop and be successful at stopping them all and even if they do then they gotta stop Dak as well so that leaves Jarwin, so the bottom line is he should have a ton of success and if he doesn't then you might want to consider looking for a tight end in next years draft because the way this offense is built he should be wide open and wide open a lot![/QUOT Great
a great year for Jarwin would come at the expense of Gallup.
I'm OK with that, bloke.

Pottsville Maroons

Reaction score
Green Bay had good TEs and lots of receiver options when McCarthy was there and I don't remember any of their TEs living up to their pedigree with regards to fantasy points. Even though I feel we have used TEs more than they do, I also feel there are too many other options for Jarwin to consistently put up stats. That being said, I couldn't help but be interested in drafting him as a backup but already had Gallup and Lamb, so I had to pass.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
We had around 90 catches for about 900 yds and 7 TDS from the TE position. I could see 60 catches for around 700 yds and 5-6 TDs from Jarwin as a full time starter. Does anyone else think Schulz or the other cat we get will have more than 15-20 total catches?

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I suspect he'll have a good year and I gladly drafted him as my backup TE in my fantasy league. Think he has potential to post 600 to 650 receiving yards and 6 tds. That's a good season for a TE, but hard to expect much more with other weapons around. Shultz and Bell are likely to take some catches too.

CWR

Reaction score
yeah i agree, but being in a 12 person league with a lot of bench room, the pickin's are incredibly thin

I think Jonnu Smith is gonna ball out with Delanie Walker gone, and he's completely under the radar in most fantasy leagues.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Jarwin will be the forgotten man here with all the weapons the Cowboys have on offense. There is no way that other teams can prepare for Zeke, Lamb, Cooper, Gallop and be successful at stopping them all and even if they do then they gotta stop Dak as well so that leaves Jarwin, so the bottom line is he should have a ton of success and if he doesn't then you might want to consider looking for a tight end in next years draft because the way this offense is built he should be wide open and wide open a lot!

Jarwin will be considered the 5th threat on the field, with defensive attention pushed to the higher threats. Couldn't be easier for him. Pretty good receiver, so he should be there for the taking all day long.

plasticman

Reaction score
Actually, I think it will be the offensive line and not the receivers that will contribute to a breakout year for Jarwin. At least starting out, Dak is going to need a safety valve and that should be Jarwin.

I think Jarwin has the potential to be another Jay Novacek, another TE that was more a TE/WR tweener. The Cowboys always had that bigger more physical blocking TE when they felt Novacek might be a liability on certain plays, although he learned to be a decent blocker.

Jarwin can get downfield, beyond the 2nd level so he can run well with the ball, 5-7 catches a game can add up. I actually see only two players get over a thousand yards this season and I believe one of them will be Jarwin.

reddyuta

Reaction score
He should definitely be a red zone target,we havent had a decent TE red zone weapon since Witten started declining.

John813

Reaction score

He has piled up those stats because he played for 16 years and was for all purposes the only tight end on the field in a league where most teams have multiple guys catching passes.

If you want to refute a claim that the Cowboys under utilize the TE position, show some stats how many yards per year their TEs get vs other teams.

IMO or look at targets for utilization.
Dallas never stretched the field with Witten in his later years, as that wasn't his specialty as he got older and slower. Could still create separation or find the soft spot in the zone, but it was never really on medium to deeper passing plays.
2011 Witten was 5th in the NFL in targets
2012 Witten was 1st in the NFL in targets
2013 Witten was 6th in the NFL in targets
2014 Witten was 12th in the NFL in targets
2015 Witten was 8th in the NFL in targets
2016 Witten was 8th in the NFL in targets
2017 Witten was 8th in the NFL in targets, 17.6% of team targets
2019 Witten was 10th in the NFL in targets, 13.9% of team targets.

*Targets compared to other TE's in the league.

**% of team targets I found only went back to 2017-18 season.

Last edited:

plasticman

Reaction score

That was an excellent suggestion.

I was curious too and I didn't know the answer until I researched the stats.

This is isolated to a single year and I plan on doing more. However, in 2019, there were a total of 11,331 receptions, of which 2368 or 20.9% went to TE's. The Cowboys had 388 total completions and 95 of them went to Witten, Jarwin and Schultz. That is 24.5% TE position was not underutilized in 2019, technically speaking. However, we can say that Jason Witten specifically underperformed.

That is to say, there were 42 TE's in the NFL last season that caught at least 20 passes. Witten is ranked third to last with 8.4 yards a catch, 2.3 yards less than his career average. Compare that to Blake Jarwin's 12th place out of the 42 with an average of 11.8. Still, as a veteran with significant years, it's interesting that he was the 8th ranked TE last season in receptions. This means he caught more passes than 75% of other TE's last season despite the fact that there were also two thousand yard WR's on the team.

If ever a TE was in the optimum situation to breakout, this has got to be it for Jarwin.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jarwin will be the forgotten man here with all the weapons the Cowboys have on offense. There is no way that other teams can prepare for Zeke, Lamb, Cooper, Gallop and be successful at stopping them all and even if they do then they gotta stop Dak as well so that leaves Jarwin, so the bottom line is he should have a ton of success and if he doesn't then you might want to consider looking for a tight end in next years draft because the way this offense is built he should be wide open and wide open a lot!
He'll be the 4th or 5th option on most pass plays...

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

It could matter how well he blocks. If our primary lineup is going to include 3 WRs and a TE, then the TE is going to have to essentially lead block when we run the ball. If the running game fails because of the lead blocker, we may end up with a different TE in there.

I hope Jarwin is good enough with the blocking aspect, but he'll have to have grown in that regard since the last time he tried to take on the lead TE role. Of course, McCarthy might do a much better job of compensating for Jarwin's blocking deficiencies than Garrett did, using him to spread out the defense instead of keeping him in-line or in the backfield, which enables the defense to stack the box and forces him to have to try to drive a defender out of it.

Johnny23

Reaction score
Lamb and Jarwins success will be dependant on how many passing attempts we will have this year.

If we are going to have to rely on Dak's arm again to win us games like last season, then they will both put up numbers. Hopefully instead the defense, special teams, and Zeke step up instead.
Dude our special teams was atrocious. That's my biggest concern more than anything. That is the biggest needs to step up from all the issues this team had last season.

I see Jarwin topping out at about 50 to 60 catches if he breaks out.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Mike McCarthy and Kellen Moore have both seen what Blake Jarwin has done in camp!
I'm as certain as can be that they won't fail to use him to advantage this season!:thumbup:
There's yet another fact to consider as well -- Dak loves his dump-off options! :muttley:

Last edited: