It's Bosa or bust

cmoney23

Reaction score
As draft day approaches I've finally settled in on my favorite player at 4...

and it's Joey Bosa. He is the best player in the draft. He fits an immediate need and will help stabilize our D for years to come. We will have 3 young, talented DE that we can rotate through and having a good pass rush will help all other facets of our D.

Here's my thinking on the other Prospects.
Elliot- First off, we already have 3 good RB's on the roster. One of which we just signed in FA and one other that rushed for over a thousand yards last year. We are "solid" at that position. Second, 4th overall for a RB is way to high, especially when you have other options. Lastly, if we where to trade down to the 10-15 range and grab him there I would be more at ease with the pick, I like the player- not the fit.

Ramsey- People that follow me on here know, I have been extremely high on Ramsey. Long before the combine or any sites bumped him way up. But the more I think about it, we just drafted "Ramsey" last year. His name is Byron Jones. We have Scandrick coming back and there is good depth at DB in this draft. Similar to Elliot I like the player a lot, but I don't want him at 4.

dstew60105

Reaction score
As draft day approaches I've finally settled in on my favorite player at 4...

and it's Joey Bosa. He is the best player in the draft. He fits an immediate need and will help stabilize our D for years to come. We will have 3 young, talented DE that we can rotate through and having a good pass rush will help all other facets of our D.

Here's my thinking on the other Prospects.
Elliot- First off, we already have 3 good RB's on the roster. One of which we just signed in FA and one other that rushed for over a thousand yards last year. We are "solid" at that position. Second, 4th overall for a RB is way to high, especially when you have other options. Lastly, if we where to trade down to the 10-15 range and grab him there I would be more at ease with the pick, I like the player- not the fit.

Ramsey- People that follow me on here know, I have been extremely high on Ramsey. Long before the combine or any sites bumped him way up. But the more I think about it, we just drafted "Ramsey" last year. His name is Byron Jones. We have Scandrick coming back and there is good depth at DB in this draft. Similar to Elliot I like the player a lot, but I don't want him at 4.

Wouldn't complain about Bosa, just don't view him as elite. I love the idea of eventually having a safety tandem of Jones/Ramsey. Ramseys best position is S, not CB.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
I think that's the pick too but I wouldn't expect much as a rookie.

Western

Reaction score
If only between Bosa and Ramsey:

Give me the guy that pressures the QB, hits the QB, rattles the QB, & stuffs the running back at the line of scrimmage ~ all of which points to Bosa.
A glorified athletic secondary is nothing without an aggressive in-your-face defensive line.

Jenky

Reaction score
If you don't think Bosa is elite or can be elite, then you shouldn't be taking him at 4.

Agreed. I just don't see it.

And Bosa is no lock. We have 2 DEs who are suspended because of substance abuse.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
If Bosa is a starter here for 5-6 years of solid, above average play then the pick will be a smashing success. People have an extremely warped view of what you can get with the #4 pick and clearly have not reviewed draft history in a while.

cmoney23

Reaction score
If you don't think Bosa is elite or can be elite, then you shouldn't be taking him at 4.

I think he is elite. Especially in this draft. He is the elite pass rusher in this draft. People read way to much into stereotypes with players. Here is some negatives on JJ Watt coming out.

"Won't consistently get the edge on tackles with his get-off and quickness."

"His recognition skills leave something to be desired."

"He flashes good hand usage at times, but needs to get stronger at the point of attack."

"He won't ever be a stud pass-rusher ... He could still stand to learn some pass-rush moves beyond his bull rush and occasional swim if a tackle opens (up)."

Sound familiar? I'm not saying Bosa is Watt... But Watt fell to 11 for no reason. Bosa could be that to us at 4!

DBOY3141

Reaction score
If Bosa is a starter here for 5-6 years of solid, above average play then the pick will be a smashing success. People have an extremely warped view of what you can get with the #4 pick and clearly have not reviewed draft history in a while.

Since 2008 its' been
Darren McFadden
Aaron Curry
Trent Williams
AJ Green
Matt Kahil
Lane Johnson
Sammy Watkins
Amari Cooper

yep. not a lot of HOF's on that list.

Sydla

Reaction score

Solid, above average play for 5-6 years is a smashing success from your 4th pick? What?

And no one has a warped view of the 4th pick.

Amari Cooper was the 4th pick and had a fantastic rookie season and looks like a stud
Sammy Watkins, on a bad Buffalo team, averaged over 1000 yards and 7 TDs his first two years. Stud.
AJ Green was the 4th pick. Stud.
Lane Johnson is the LT of the future for the Eagles and been more than solid, he's been very good.
Trent Williams is one of the dominant LTs in football right now.

So in recent drafts, the 4th pick has largely turned out some real studs, not "solid" guys.

Sydla

Reaction score
I think he is elite. Especially in this draft. He is the elite pass rusher in this draft. People read way to much into stereotypes with players. Here is some negatives on JJ Watt coming out.

"Won't consistently get the edge on tackles with his get-off and quickness."

"His recognition skills leave something to be desired."

"He flashes good hand usage at times, but needs to get stronger at the point of attack."

"He won't ever be a stud pass-rusher ... He could still stand to learn some pass-rush moves beyond his bull rush and occasional swim if a tackle opens (up)."

Sound familiar? I'm not saying Bosa is Watt... But Watt fell to 11 for no reason. Bosa could be that to us at 4!

that's fine. I was more pointing out the comment below yours where someone said they could live with Bosa at 4 but don't think he's elite.

IMO, at the 4th pick, you should be taking someone that you think can be elite and not just "solid".

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Solid, above average play for 5-6 years is a smashing success from your 4th pick? What?

And no one has a warped view of the 4th pick.

Amari Cooper was the 4th pick and had a fantastic rookie season and looks like a stud
Sammy Watkins, on a bad Buffalo team, averaged over 1000 yards and 7 TDs his first two years. Stud.
AJ Green was the 4th pick. Stud.
Lane Johnson is the LT of the future for the Eagles and been more than solid, he's been very good.
Trent Williams is one of the dominant LTs in football right now.

So in recent drafts, the 4th pick has largely turned out some real studs, not "solid" guys.

Nice selective results. Couldn't have been cherry picked any better.

Sydla

Reaction score
Nice selective results. Couldn't have been cherry picked any better.

What did I cherry pick? I just listed for you the last 6 #4 picks. Oh wait, missing Khalil. He's been pretty good too.

So of the last six 4th picks, you have at least 4 guys who are looking like studs - Williams, Cooper, Watkins, Green - that the other two are very, very good players. You have to go back 7 years to find a 4th pick that was average or worse.

So frankly, if anyone has a warped view of the 4th pick, it might be you.

erod

Reaction score
Do you want a guy who might be great in two years (Bosa), or do you want a guy that might be great in September (Elliott).

MrPhil

Reaction score
I certainly think Bosa has the potential to be a good DE for us.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
What did I cherry pick? I just listed for you the last 6 #4 picks. Oh wait, missing Khalil. He's been pretty good too.

So of the last six 4th picks, you have at least 4 guys who are looking like studs - Williams, Cooper, Watkins, Green - that the other two are very, very good players. You have to go back 7 years to find a 4th pick that was average or worse.

So tell us again how we should expect just good, solid, maybe above average play from the 4th pick in the draft?

First of all your evaluations are garbage, as usual. Sammy Watkins is far closer to a bust than a stud, and Kalil has mysteriously been getting worse since his rookie season.

Also what possible reason could you have to restrict with your artificial timeline except to leave out McFaddens and Currys? Only Green and Williams fit the profile of the super instant elite potential HOFer that the nimrods of this board seem to think a #4 pick should yield.

Sydla

Reaction score
Again, if you think Bosa is a stud and has a chance to an elite guy, then sure, it makes sense to take him at 4.

But if you think Bosa is a guy who will develop into a solid, above average but unspectacular DE, then you shouldn't be taking him at 4. You should be taking the guy you think has elite potential whether that be Elliott or Ramsey or Tunsil or Jack or whomever. Or you trade down figuring there isn't anyone elite there and your pick is better served trying to turn it into multiple picks in a deeper draft that lacks a large number of elite guys.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Now that the QBs are gone, give me DB/DL or DL/DB in rounds one and two and I'm happy. Of the two, I think Ramsey in the first makes the most sense if he's there, because there are a lot of quality DLs in this draft and a good player is almost sure to be there at #34. I'm less sure about a good DB (though there's a really good chance of that, too).

Not at all worried about our ability to draft defensive backs in general, but even if I were, you can hardly go wrong with the consensus best DB in the draft. Even if he ends up a Safety, I'm ok with that.

I'd also be ok with any trade down at this point. And I"m talking myself into being ok with Lynch at #4 (or especially in a small trade down) if we really do like him as a top-10 player in this group. The cost of moving up to #1 or #2 in a future draft is just too rich for my blood.

The other thing I'd strongly consider, if we could pull it off, is moving a lot farther down in favor of a next-year's #1 from a poor team. Gotta have a partner to pull that off, but this is a draft where there's good talent after the first 15 picks or so still, and that extra one makes bundling for your next QB next year a lot more realistic. Tunsil, I guess, would be the only possible option for that, and that's probably a stretch at this point.