It's Far from OVER...

zeromaster

Reaction score
I hear the optimism, the chirping birds, the babbling of the brook.

And then the alarm clock goes off...

Unless this team finds a way get its confidence back, concentrate, and execute consistently, no amount of us blowing sunshine up each others' butts is going to work.

Book it.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
Silverstar;2396209 said:
Wishful thinking...

NYG's next 6 games: @PHI, BAL, @ARI, @WAS,PHI, @DAL

Still think it's wishful thinking? Maybe? I see them going 3-3.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
ilovejerry;2394385 said:
Yes we cannot lose to the Skins, 100%. The giants and or the Skins will lose a bunch of games So dont count us out just yet. But we need to beat the SKINS

What in the world makes you think that?

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
sonnyboy;2396288 said:
NYG's next 6 games: @PHI, BAL, @ARI, @WAS,PHI, @DAL

Still think it's wishful thinking? Maybe? I see them going 3-3.

There is nobody there they can't beat.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
zeromaster;2396223 said:
I hear the optimism, the chirping birds, the babbling of the brook.

And then the alarm clock goes off...

Unless this team finds a way get its confidence back, concentrate, and execute consistently, no amount of us blowing sunshine up each others' butts is going to work.

Book it.

HOW ABOUT TAMBA BAY? Did we not show confidence, concentration and the ability to execute consistently, at LEAST on defense.

See all the nay sayers want to point to the rams and giants game, ignore the tampa game and say this team has no heart or focus.

What the novice fails to realize is only one thing separated those three games.........TURNOVERS!

We had no offense against TB yet didn't turn it over and hang our defense out to dry. The defense rewarded us with an outstanding effort and won us the game.

This defense has proven it can play exceptional when given the chance.

It had no chance against STL and NYG with all the turnovers.

We get back 6 key contributers for our next game including the best QB in the NFL. I THINK A LITTLE OPTIMISIM IS CALLED FOR.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2396318 said:
There is nobody there they can't beat.

AND NOBODY THERE THAT THEY CAN'T LOSE TO.

Don't get sucked into yesterday's game thinking the Giants are unstoppable. There are maybe 3-4 teams that would have had a hard time with us yesterday given our QB play.

Go look at their games against Cin or Cle. Look at their entire body of work. 7-1 is 7-1 and that's great for them. But there have been many instances of teams starting out hot like that because they consistently caught the right team at the right time and or beat up on a bunch of non-contenders.
Once those teams got into the tough part of their schedule, reality hits.

zeromaster

Reaction score
Consistency is what I'm talking about.

Yes, the Tampa game was a great one-game statement, and then there was this sigh of relief, and the Giants game unfolded.

I would have been disappointed but hopeful with a hard-fought loss, but the determination seems to be missing. At best it comes and goes. For part of the game the defense wanted to make a statement, then it was like "what's the use"?

See, I don't subscribe to the "flip the switch" mentality. I don't go double-or-nothing at the blackjack table when I'm holding 6 and the dealer's showing a 10.

Set a goal, build toward it. It won't be a masterpiece every week, but at least there can be signs to give you hope. The players are human, and mistakes will be made, but these mistakes are coming in bunches, and at the wrong time.

What I'm saying is the team is going to have to stop worrying about the sound bites after the game and start making more plays during it. Assuming Tony and Felix will fix everything is not the most realistic expectation. Sure it can happen, but so can a lot of other things, and so far not many of them are good. :)

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
sonnyboy;2396374 said:
AND NOBODY THERE THAT THEY CAN'T LOSE TO.

Don't get sucked into yesterday's game thinking the Giants are unstoppable. There are maybe 3-4 teams that would have had a hard time with us yesterday given our QB play.

Go look at their games against Cin or Cle. Look at their entire body of work. 7-1 is 7-1 and that's great for them. But there have been many instances of teams starting out hot like that because they consistently caught the right team at the right time and or beat up on a bunch of non-contenders.
Once those teams got into the tough part of their schedule, reality hits.

I get what you are saying, my thing is they are probably the most solid of all they have left to face. they aren't fantastic but solid. Washington can lose to any one. Philly isn't playing great just good. We are coach-less.

The Giants won't run the table but they are better than the rest of the teams they will face. Not to mention Coughlin won't let them coast.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
zeromaster;2396391 said:
Consistency is what I'm talking about.

Yes, the Tampa game was a great one-game statement, and then there was this sigh of relief, and the Giants game unfolded.

I would have been disappointed but hopeful with a hard-fought loss, but the determination seems to be missing. At best it comes and goes. For part of the game the defense wanted to make a statement, then it was like "what's the use"?

See, I don't subscribe to the "flip the switch" mentality. I don't go double-or-nothing at the blackjack table when I'm holding 6 and the dealer's showing a 10.

Set a goal, build toward it. It won't be a masterpiece every week, but at least there can be signs to give you hope. The players are human, and mistakes will be made, but these mistakes are coming in bunches, and at the wrong time.

What I'm saying is the team is going to have to stop worrying about the sound bites after the game and start making more plays during it. Assuming Tony and Felix will fix everything is not the most realistic expectation. Sure it can happen, but so can a lot of other things, and so far not many of them are good. :)

Good post.

I also was looking for a hard fought loss. Hate making excuses, but it's hard to keep up enthusiasim and energy when is a lost cause. The TO's in the rams and giants game were just too much for this defense to overcome.

And there's a good reason why, you guys might want to sit down since this may come as a shock...........we don't have a very good defense.

But we have, I believe, the best offense in football. That's why we can win it all.

zeromaster

Reaction score
If the offense can get back to sustaining drives, the defense should be somewhat fresher and have more of an impact. It's still an indictment of the toughness on the team though. Some players are trying to be the hero, overreacting and getting out of position, and the rest are practically just watching. They need to trust each other more than they seem to right now.

I think the problem with Phillips is he's dyed-in-the-wool of the belief that the players can play out of it, that you've got to let them play, and other cliches. Maybe there are so many things not going right, along with the high expectations for this year, that he's overwhelmed. If so, it pretty much shows why he's a better coordinator than head coach.

Someone on the Chargers' message board was saying that Schottenheimer and Phillips combo worked well as a bad cop/good cop scenario, and it seems to be ringing true. There's no one to be the bad cop and hold the players feet to the fire.

ilovejerry

Reaction score
sonnyboy;2397004 said:
Good post.

I also was looking for a hard fought loss. Hate making excuses, but it's hard to keep up enthusiasim and energy when is a lost cause. The TO's in the rams and giants game were just too much for this defense to overcome.

And there's a good reason why, you guys might want to sit down since this may come as a shock...........we don't have a very good defense.

But we have, I believe, the best offense in football. That's why we can win it all.

Yes I agree that our Offense is the only thing thats driving this team. Can we win..Well Im from the school of a solid D and great run game but....This is what we have if they can get the O rolling Im sure we can make a nice run in the NFC

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
It's not over yet. But it will be if they lose to Washington.

ilovejerry

Reaction score
Bach;2397950 said:

If they lose to washington....It will be bad very bad...I dont want to think about that lets think positive ...we shall CRUSH them...

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
Bach;2397950 said:

Most likely. At least any hope of winning the east. I can post all kinds of senarios were get in the playoffs with 10 or 11 wins.

It's not just the number of wins but whom they come against.

We almost can't finish ahead of the Commanders or giants if we don't beat them the second time around.

Perhaps our single toughest game will be at Pit which is also the one game we could most afford to lose.

Any 10 win post season senario would absolutely require a win against the Eagles in the finale.

ilovejerry

Reaction score
sonnyboy;2398088 said:
Most likely. At least any hope of winning the east. I can post all kinds of senarios were get in the playoffs with 10 or 11 wins.

It's not just the number of wins but whom they come against.

We almost can't finish ahead of the Commanders or giants if we don't beat them the second time around.

Perhaps our single toughest game will be at Pit which is also the one game we could most afford to lose.

Any 10 win post season senario would absolutely require a win against the Eagles in the finale.

I figured we could run the table ( maybe just one more loss ) to Philly, but I would rather beat Philly and if I had to lose one even though it kills me to lose to the Steelers, hey there an AFC opponent, I Thought we would be 11-5 regardless..