News: ITS: Neville Gallimore Has Taken "Huge Jump" Heading Into Year 2

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Do what’s your number on how many defensive tackles they keep? Or defensive linemen overall?

Gallimore, Hill, Bohanna, Urban, Osa

We're trying to do both 3 man fronts for run and 4 man fronts for pass. I don't see any way to go with only four 4-3 DTs and 3-4NT and 3-4DE. Just doing 5 will cause problems if anyone gets injured. Urban and Bohanna give nothing for passing downs.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

We're trying to do both 3 man fronts for run and 4 man fronts for pass. I don't see any way to go with only four 4-3 DTs and 3-4NT and 3-4DE. Just doing 5 will cause problems if anyone gets injured. Urban and Bohanna give nothing for passing downs.

So I take it Watkins is your cut?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
i hope it all works out for Gallimore,..for us...

As we really need a pleasant surprise hidden gem find
If Gallimore develops into a Chris Jones ( drafted in 2nd rd) and Stephen Tuitt (also drafted in 2nd round) type pleasant surprise find that would be so huge for this team.

But looking back at the past few years , it's just really tough to stumble upon those type 3rd, 4th rd draftees to become all star stellar DTs
yes, it's rare ..but its not out of the question.

mid to late round drafted DT gems that come to mind:
Falcons got Grady Jarrett - round. 5
Cincy got Geno Atkins - round 4
Saints with LaRoi Glover - round 5
Kyle Williams - round 5

And you usually have to draft interior rushers much higher to even have the best chances at an impact DT

Seems like our FO doesn't place a very high value on spending higher picks on the DTs. I'd also like to see them doing so but offense evidently is taking a higher priority than defense most of the time where the higher draft picks are concerned. Of course, this year was a rare exception in that category. Yet, DT wasn't very a high pick either for a DT. I was surprised to see we got a 1-tech in Bohanna. We usually ignore them totally. Maybe Quinn will see to it that he passes on his value for good 1-techs to the Dallas brass.

quickccc

Reaction score
So I take it Watkins is your cut?

Is Watkins a part of the walking dead zombie apocalypse?

I haven't heard anything from him (or gholston) thus far in camp.
Still plenty time to warm up the bones though.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is Watkins a part of the walking dead zombie apocalypse?

I haven't heard anything from him (or gholston) thus far in camp.
Still plenty time to warm up the bones though.

Did I read that Gholston is dealing with a hamstring issue?
:huh:

quickccc

Reaction score

We could also move DLaw inside as a rush nickel DT vs OGs in some nickel packages.

quickccc

Reaction score
Did I read that Gholston is dealing with a hamstring issue?
:huh:

Normally i would think we'd heard reports of him working with trainers with cords on injuries on the sideline ....ala Lewis and Anae.

Otherwise I've only heard PUP guys DLaw and Hill as being totally out ...

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
i would have thought the rookie Gholston.. per rotation/nickel packages
i just wonder who eventually starts per 3-4 base.. and 4 man front nickel .....

Gholston is kinda light for 4-3 DT, even rushing, and has no experience. Osa would be another rookie. And Gallimore just as sophomore.

That's some slim pickings at DT.

quickccc

Reaction score
I'm definitely not digging that. DLaw got paid big bucks to play 4-3DE.

Anyway i can get supposedly get my best defensive player in occasional move around mismatches - away from double team and against the opponent's weaker blockers,
to give my team that extra advantage and chance to win, i'm down for that.

quickccc

Reaction score
Gholston is kinda light for 4-3 DT, even rushing, and has no experience. Osa would be another rookie. And Gallimore just as sophomore.

That's some slim pickings at DT.

When you're a nickel pass rusher trying to get to the QB, how does " kinda light " come into play ?
You're depending upon quickness, moves and agility to speed pass and get by blockers,.. i could understand if you're talking about defending the run but when you're talking about " Nickel "
that's talking/involving pure pass rush, being 290 and going/getting upfield doesn't matter as much, imo.

- When it comes to the youth movement and inexperience, you're right, slim pickings - but that's apparently what Quinn & co are gonna gamble upon.
That's one reason why i expect some struggles early on, and hopefully not all year.
Dlaw represents our only true experienced starting guy up front as Gregory is still in a learning curve of his own.

- Brent Urban ? .. has game rotation experience, but i believe he wasn't a full time starter
in Chicago. And we'll have to see if he even becomes a starter up front. And he's purely a run stopper.

- Tashard Basham ? Power oriented guy but he'll more of be a rotation guy, relieving Dlaw or Gregory. i could add Armstrong as rotation experience but frankly he's really JAG.

- The rest are rookies (Osa, Gholston, Bohanna) and 2nd year guys (Gallimore, Anae)

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
When you're a nickel pass rusher trying to get to the QB, how does " kinda light " come into play ?
You're depending upon quickness, moves and agility to speed pass and get by blockers,.. i could understand if you're talking about defending the run but when you're talking about " Nickel "
that's talking/involving pure pass rush, being 290 and going/getting upfield doesn't matter as much, imo.

Not as much space to use speed and agility in the interior. You need more power. That comes with mass.

quickccc

Reaction score
Not as much space to use speed and agility in the interior. You need more power. That comes with mass.

It's a difference between run downs and pass downs,... starting and nickel pass downs.
- That's why we saw DE Justin Tuck (Giants) at 265 lbs ..moved inside being matched up vs OGs.. on obvious passing downs.

- that's why we saw DE Michael Bennett (at 274 lbs) in Seattle- Philly-Dallas being moved inside vs OGs in obvious passing downs.

- Crawford (285 lbs) was at his best, when he moved inside on nickel-pass downs ..much more than what he was at DE.

It's to gain mismatches .. its schematics...

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
It's a difference between run downs and pass downs,... starting and nickel pass downs.
- That's why we saw DE Justin Tuck (Giants) at 265 lbs ..moved inside being matched up vs OGs.. on obvious passing downs.

- that's why we saw DE Michael Bennett (at 274 lbs) in Seattle- Philly-Dallas being moved inside vs OGs in obvious passing downs.

- Crawford (285 lbs) was at his best, when he moved inside on nickel-pass downs ..much more than what he was at DE.

It's to gain mismatches .. its schematics...

Teams often move their larger DEs inside to get their best set of pass rushers on the field, not because those players are better suited to play inside.

Crawford was simply not a player to attack the edge in a 4-3. No bend, no speed. Often not even enough speed to set an edge, as QBs and RBs would just run by him. He always made most sense as what he was drafted to be - a 3-4DE.

quickccc

Reaction score
Teams often move their larger DEs inside to get their best set of pass rushers on the field, not because those players are better suited to play inside.

Crawford was simply not a player to attack the edge in a 4-3. No bend, no speed. Often not even enough speed to set an edge, as QBs and RBs would just run by him. He always made most sense as what he was drafted to be - a 3-4DE.

That was exactly my point, teams move their "move " DE's inside the interior vs weak points of opposing OGs, to take advantage of mismatches
You're basically just echoing what i have already suggested.. or clearly confusing nickel situation downs vs starting ....

basel90

Reaction score
Gallimore is a big asset and will continue to get better with a real defensive coach .

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
That was exactly my point, teams move their "move " DE's inside the interior vs weak points of opposing OGs, to take advantage of mismatches
You're basically just echoing what i have already suggested.. or clearly confusing nickel situation downs vs starting ....

That's the opposite of what I said: