It's not my team anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creeper

Reaction score
Before you go saying adios, seeya wouldn't want to beya or something else along those lines, hear me out.

I have been wondering if my loss of passion for the Cowboys is just the aging process or is there something else causing that and I think I am on to it. I do not have that proprietary attachment to the Cowboys I once had.

When I became a fan, they were my team. Really MY team, I felt more than just a fan, they were mine. I had a special relationship with them and almost felt I knew them.

No owner sends the message louder or clearer that this is his team than this one. He even went so far to tell the fans if you don't like it, plop down 140M of your own money. And since then, it's only gotten worse.

Not only do he and his son spend their time telling us that this is their team but they insult my fantelligence by trying to sell their way is the way. No other owner in sports history has spent more time trying to sell lemonade and eventually it becomes an insult. Do they really think I am that stupid? Just because I am a fan?

The bragging and boastfulness of the Joneses negates any "this is my team" thinking. It's all about them.

Tex Schramm was a master marketer and he had this knack for making the Cowboy accomplishments inclusive for the fans. I can still recall the pc when he established the largest radio network in NFL history and was responsible for establishing the Dallas Cowboys as Mexico's team, as well as New Mexico and Arizona. He made it about us, the fans. He said we were the reason that happened. It was look what we did.

This detached feeling I have when I watch this team play has become the norm so it doesn't bother me as much but when I watch them play, I know I am watching someone else's team play, not mine.

I realize there is no logic or rationale attached to being a fan but that's what has happened to me, I am now a fan because I've been a fan for so long. If not for the history, I would not choose this team today.

The problem is that I do not think I will ever get that feeling back again. That this is MY team feeling. And that makes me sad because one should never outgrow their passion.

This is not a complaint thread or a bash the owner one as I do not think he did this intentionally, it just happened because he let his ego take over. And a lot of what he's been doing is trying to chase the Jimmy Johnson ghost away but along the way he took my pride of ownership of my team away from me.

it is still my favorite NFL team but it is not MY team.

So much honesty in this post, but it would be an enigma to the owner and son of owner.

I have been a Cowboys fan since the mid-1960s. I will be a Cowboys fan until I shove off for the great golf course in the sky. My frustration is at this point in my life I figure Son of Owner has an excellent chance of outliving me so it looks like my football fan life is not going to change. I hope you younger fans do get a chance to experience a new owner who can bring back winning to the franchise. The Jones boys are never going to change what they are doing.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
And the reason they failed to achieve that? It's literally Jerry Jones and "his way" and the culture he creates for the team. He does want to win, but it's not his priority. His priority is winning it his way, even if it's proven for so long to be a failure. He even stated years ago that if he had a GM under him with the record he does as a GM, he'd have fired him. So on some level he knows he's part of the problem. That just proves his heart isn't fully on winning. Winning is good, but it's not the priority.
Brother, I agree with you that Jerry for the most part has not been 100% into winning another Super Bowl since 1996, but in recent years as Jerry has gotten very old and knows he's almost out of time, I do believe he has tried more seriously. Look at the various coach and player changes he has made, plus he has become much more strict with how he uses the team's salary cap. All signs he is desperate to give this team a better chance.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Before you go saying adios, seeya wouldn't want to beya or something else along those lines, hear me out.

I have been wondering if my loss of passion for the Cowboys is just the aging process or is there something else causing that and I think I am on to it. I do not have that proprietary attachment to the Cowboys I once had.

When I became a fan, they were my team. Really MY team, I felt more than just a fan, they were mine. I had a special relationship with them and almost felt I knew them.

No owner sends the message louder or clearer that this is his team than this one. He even went so far to tell the fans if you don't like it, plop down 140M of your own money. And since then, it's only gotten worse.

Not only do he and his son spend their time telling us that this is their team but they insult my fantelligence by trying to sell their way is the way. No other owner in sports history has spent more time trying to sell lemonade and eventually it becomes an insult. Do they really think I am that stupid? Just because I am a fan?

The bragging and boastfulness of the Joneses negates any "this is my team" thinking. It's all about them.

Tex Schramm was a master marketer and he had this knack for making the Cowboy accomplishments inclusive for the fans. I can still recall the pc when he established the largest radio network in NFL history and was responsible for establishing the Dallas Cowboys as Mexico's team, as well as New Mexico and Arizona. He made it about us, the fans. He said we were the reason that happened. It was look what we did.

This detached feeling I have when I watch this team play has become the norm so it doesn't bother me as much but when I watch them play, I know I am watching someone else's team play, not mine.

I realize there is no logic or rationale attached to being a fan but that's what has happened to me, I am now a fan because I've been a fan for so long. If not for the history, I would not choose this team today.

The problem is that I do not think I will ever get that feeling back again. That this is MY team feeling. And that makes me sad because one should never outgrow their passion.

This is not a complaint thread or a bash the owner one as I do not think he did this intentionally, it just happened because he let his ego take over. And a lot of what he's been doing is trying to chase the Jimmy Johnson ghost away but along the way he took my pride of ownership of my team away from me.

You'll be back in a heartbeat if the team comes back strong by winning an SB.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Brother, I agree with you that Jerry for the most part has not been 100% into winning another Super Bowl since 1996, but in recent years as Jerry has gotten very old and knows he's almost out of time, I do believe he has tried more seriously. Look at the various coach and player changes he has made, plus he has become much more strict with how he uses the team's salary cap. All signs he is desperate to give this team a better chance.

I would argue that he hasn't tried as hard as you think. Free agency was rolling along and what were Jerry and Stephen focused on? That stupid bitcoin thing. They don't care about winning, and nothing said here will convince me otherwise. That proof will have to come from Jerry and his idiot spawn and they haven't done a damn thing to suggest they care about winning anything more than just the NFC East.

'Relevant and interesting' were Jerry's words if I remember correctly. That's the extent of on-field success he strives for, nothing more.

Last edited:

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score

Jerry has you so brainwashed. You say he is desperate?

Desperation is a state of despair, typically one which results in rash or extreme behavior. He's been chasing coaches every since Jimma left...and still does not get it right. But, go ahead and believe in him if you wish. You see the salary cap that Dak and Zeke got? Yeah, he sure is more strict with the salary cap.

Haimerej

Reaction score
A real fan wouldn’t say they wouldn’t be following the team anymore if they weren’t running the board as a moderator. Real fans don’t stop following the team. He has every right to deal with the disappointment in the organization the way he wants.

When CC says he wouldn't follow if not for this board, he's talking about being part of this community. He's been doing this a long time and was well known on the DC.com message board. In fact, when he was given a moderator position here I doubt I was the only person shocked, based on his history at that old board (not that he was a troublemaker, just prone to meandering off-topic humor).

Just saying, the moderator position isn't what keeps him here. He enjoys this community, and he's not the only fan here who gets more enjoyment from this community than from the team.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When CC says he wouldn't follow if not for this board, he's talking about being part of this community. He's been doing this a long time and was well known on the DC.com message board. In fact, when he was given a moderator position here I doubt I was the only person shocked, based on his history at that old board (not that he was a troublemaker, just prone to meandering off-topic humor).

Just saying, the moderator position isn't what keeps him here. He enjoys this community, and he's not the only fan here who gets more enjoyment from this community than from the team.
Well said H-man.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

He said if it wasn’t for this site he doubts he would follow the team any longer. There’s millions of fans that don’t post on these boards that follow the team. He claims the site is more important to him than the team. He doesn’t sound like much of a fan to me but he claims in other posts he is.

If not for the Zone, I doubt I would really follow the team any longer. This site is far more important to me than the team. I don't really know anyone on the team.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Jerry has you so brainwashed. You say he is desperate?

Desperation is a state of despair, typically one which results in rash or extreme behavior. He's been chasing coaches every since Jimma left...and still does not get it right. But, go ahead and believe in him if you wish. You see the salary cap that Dak and Zeke got? Yeah, he sure is more strict with the salary cap.
What a stupid comment. Then one sees who's delivering it, well, right on cue.

Who is more stupid? One who still believes in this team and ownership, or one who doesn't but keeps watching every game and *itching like a fool on social media?

Just be quiet.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
He said if it wasn’t for this site he doubts he would follow the team any longer. There’s millions of fans that don’t post on these boards that follow the team.

Yeah, I mean just look at the title of the thread.

"It's not my team anymore."

Reactions: KJJ

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
i’m super down on the team this off season. haven’t really looked at who we may draft or anything. i’ll watch the draft but i just don’t know anymore.

Haimerej

Reaction score
He said if it wasn’t for this site he doubts he would follow the team any longer. There’s millions of fans that don’t post on these boards that follow the team.

Yeah. He said the same stuff at DC.com when he wasn't a moderator. You're getting pushback from the people who've been talking with the guy for over a decade. We understand what he's saying; hence all the positive feedback he's received.

Basically, you're barking up the wrong tree to imply his position is the only reason he follows the team. It's this community that he's been a part of for longer than I've known him.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
What a stupid comment. Then one sees who's delivering it, well, right on cue.

Who is more stupid? One who still believes in this team and ownership, or one who doesn't but keeps watching every game and *itching like a fool on social media?

Just be quiet.

You are not my mom or dad...you don't tell me to be quiet. Go rub your Jerry Jones Bobble head.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
You are not my mom or dad...you don't tell me to be quiet. Go rub your Jerry Jones Bobble head.
I gave you a 'like' out of respect to your parents and simply because I feel bad for you bro. Must be super tough being so miserable, yet continuing to make yourself more miserable. Hope the Cowboys reach at least an NFC Championship Game soon to help you feel better.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score

I feel ya bossman.
My fandom to the team relies more heavily to the community here than to the team itself for obvious reasons anymore.
And if someone wants to call me out as not a "real fan" they can go suck a soda for all I care.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yeah. He said the same stuff at DC.com when he wasn't a moderator. You're getting pushback from the people who've been talking with the guy for over a decade. We understand what he's saying; hence all the positive feedback he's received.

Basically, you're barking up the wrong tree to imply his position is the only reason he follows the team. It's this community that he's been a part of for longer than I've known him.

I posted his quote but you’re claiming I’m barking up the wrong tree. Lol You’re obviously a good friend of his and are attempting to put a different spin on what he said. In one post he says he wouldn’t be following the team if it wasn’t for this board but in another post he says he’s still a fan. :huh:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I posted his quote but you’re claiming I’m barking up the wrong tree. Lol You’re obviously a good friend of his and are attempting to put a different spin on what he said. In one post he says he wouldn’t be following the team if it wasn’t for this board but in another post he says he’s still a fan. :huh:
We all conduct our fandom which suits us best. Coach clearly laid his out. Instead of bashing his fandom why don’t you tell us about yours.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I feel ya bossman.
My fandom to the team relies more heavily to the community here than to the team itself for obvious reasons anymore.
And if someone wants to call me out as not a "real fan" they can go suck a soda for all I care.
Right. These Homers just can’t handle the apathy and criticism. They should get on the mountain top and lead their cheers instead of bashing other fans.

Coach didn’t bash other fans. He just spelled out how he felt.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
We all conduct our fandom which suits us best. Coach clearly laid his out. Instead of bashing his fandom why don’t you tell us about yours.

Dude I’m not bashing him I gave an opinion and posted his quote. You’re just looking for another marathon argument where you can dig your heels in for the next several days playing another game of who can outlast who.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yeah, I mean just look at the title of the thread.

"It's not my team anymore."
Then read the whole post and see exactly what he means by that. It's about feeling like you're part of the team, and not just a casual observer. There used to be more emotional give and take from the team than there is now. It's harder to feel emotionally attached to an entity that's cold and selfish.

Status
Not open for further replies.