It's not my team anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
You know, the Cowboys aren't his life.
If we're going to be honest: the Stadium is his life.
He personally negotiates high profile fights and events and the overall place in and of itself all the way to the curtains over paying personal attention to GM duties, other than being the final arbiter, and negotiating critical deals from the get-go? He leaves that to Son.

The Cowboys are the means to his ends, but he knows he has many means to his ends and spreads his attention to the point that he's nothing more than a figurehead with final power.
Its Jerrys World brother, its his very own Palace in Dallas.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Gonna smoke one tomorrow and then the feet are going to help the stock for a stew later.
I remember being married into a family that had a significant presence in Sisterdale.
All farmers. Good people. Loved every one of them. Sad that my marriage didn't work, but stuff happens.

We would go on boar runs. The pig population was exploding so we would get in this Ford F350 dooley, loaded up with guns to do some culling.

Most frightening creatures I have ever come across.

A momma, protecting a litter, literally rocked that F350 onto 2 wheels.
The dude driving screamed a loud WHOOO!!!, grabbed his shottie and leapt out the door with the truck still going and the rest of the gang was totes in with him.
I was like: uh... the truck is about to go over a cliff!

We averted disaster, but them momma's are no joke.

Good times! We ate bacon and ribs for days.
I use a bow to hunt them. For some reason I decided to spear hunt them once Got myself treed by a couple of them so I decided that was a bad idea luckily I was still young enough to get up a tree really fast

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I use a bow to hunt them. For some reason I decided to spear hunt them once Got myself treed by a couple of them so I decided that was a bad idea luckily I was still young enough to get up a tree really fast
Wow! Spear!
Alright, you da... you da man.
Where the heck you get spears from?

I loved the bow, but hitting a boar?
Headshot, or proper bleeder which was just as hard, depending on angles.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
You referencing saliant green?
I finally got my wife to watch it after years of her laughing at me screaming "It's people! They're made from people!" in the middle of our grocery shoppings.
I still do it.
She still laughs.

BHendri5

Reaction score
They are mine too
Just wish the owner would fire the GM!

Someone please tell me about when the GM took over the job that coaches did back when I was growing up, because I don't remember. When I was growing up the GM only handled the contracts, talks with the agents about contracts, contacting agents and or players talking on behalf of the owners when dealing with the players and agents.
The HC told the GM and scouts what players and type of players they wanted, they chose the players in the draft, but I cannot remember when the GM took over , does anyone recall when that happened.

Now as far as Jerry goes he hasn't really went off script in a while, generally he goes after the players the coaches want. so I really have no problem with him as the GM,

Swagger

Reaction score
I agree with the opening poster. There are some current Cowboy players who love the game and play to win at all costs like Micah Parsons, but they are few and far between. There's a horrible culture inherent within this team with players more concerned about getting paid their money than winning Superbowls. This is only encouraged by the country club vibe promoted by the front office.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I just think of you as a board comedian with strong opinions.
I always appreciate the attempts at humor and you do get me to laugh more than I want to admit.

You also focus too much on one thing in the realm of ad nauseum.

Which is still cool.
Annoying, but cool.
I agree on" the one thing". I'll try to tone it done. you're a good kid, like the other guys in this thread. We all have different life experience that has molded us for good or bad.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Wow! Spear!
Alright, you da... you da man.
Where the heck you get spears from?

I loved the bow, but hitting a boar?
Headshot, or proper bleeder which was just as hard, depending on angles.
I bought the spears at a pawn shop and started practicing chunking them Then I got the bright idea that sucked.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Before you go saying adios, seeya wouldn't want to beya or something else along those lines, hear me out.

I have been wondering if my loss of passion for the Cowboys is just the aging process or is there something else causing that and I think I am on to it. I do not have that proprietary attachment to the Cowboys I once had.

When I became a fan, they were my team. Really MY team, I felt more than just a fan, they were mine. I had a special relationship with them and almost felt I knew them.

No owner sends the message louder or clearer that this is his team than this one. He even went so far to tell the fans if you don't like it, plop down 140M of your own money. And since then, it's only gotten worse.

Not only do he and his son spend their time telling us that this is their team but they insult my fantelligence by trying to sell their way is the way. No other owner in sports history has spent more time trying to sell lemonade and eventually it becomes an insult. Do they really think I am that stupid? Just because I am a fan?

The bragging and boastfulness of the Joneses negates any "this is my team" thinking. It's all about them.

Tex Schramm was a master marketer and he had this knack for making the Cowboy accomplishments inclusive for the fans. I can still recall the pc when he established the largest radio network in NFL history and was responsible for establishing the Dallas Cowboys as Mexico's team, as well as New Mexico and Arizona. He made it about us, the fans. He said we were the reason that happened. It was look what we did.

This detached feeling I have when I watch this team play has become the norm so it doesn't bother me as much but when I watch them play, I know I am watching someone else's team play, not mine.

I realize there is no logic or rationale attached to being a fan but that's what has happened to me, I am now a fan because I've been a fan for so long. If not for the history, I would not choose this team today.

The problem is that I do not think I will ever get that feeling back again. That this is MY team feeling. And that makes me sad because one should never outgrow their passion.

This is not a complaint thread or a bash the owner one as I do not think he did this intentionally, it just happened because he let his ego take over. And a lot of what he's been doing is trying to chase the Jimmy Johnson ghost away but along the way he took my pride of ownership of my team away from me.

it is still my favorite NFL team but it is not MY team.

I've tried to express my emotional detachment from this team on a few occasions. You nailed it.

I thought this was MY team when I was a kid in Ohio. I felt annoyed by "America's Team" because none of those fans were in my neighborhood. I lived and died with the Cowboys, and took plenty of abuse when things didn't go well. I took it gladly because it was MY team.

As you said, it's Jerry's team now. Which is why when things don't go well, like the San Fran game, my only solace is seeing the old man's ego take a gut punch. The only thing I recognize about his team is the uniform. This team is nothing like MY team, back in the day.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
well at the least you guys finally woke up. I saw the writing on the wall when they made Jason head coach and jerry was training him. if that didn't wake you up, it's a wonder anything did.

you can call me a hater or instigator or whatever, but I saw this crap a long time ago.
and I don't want to make it worse but it's not changing.
Keeping Jason all those years told me that winning wasn't the most important thing for Jerry.

Status
Not open for further replies.