It's not your money, why are you all so worried to spend it?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fans just want the team to be able to win games and thus worry about overpaying a player, causing the team to be cap hamstrung.

This should go without saying. "It's not your money" is something that can't be taken seriously. I would expect a child to say that. There's a salary cap in this league and even if there wasn't there's still a limit on what anyone would spend. Money matters.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
This should go without saying. "It's not your money" is something that can't be taken seriously. I would expect a child to say that. There's a salary cap in this league and even if there wasn't there's still a limit on what anyone would spend. Money matters.

You're spot on. How well a team manages the cap, and its money in general, has a direct impact on how competitive it can be. You're right that money would matter even if there were no cap since no one has unlimited resources.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Ah, the yearly it's not your money thread.

Exactly. "It's not your money" but Tickets cost couple hundred for seats, more for good seats, food is stupid expensive, drink is worse, parking is ridiculous, Ball cap is 30 bucks, Jersey is 150, Cable just to watch a game is who knows how much monthly, investment in time is way more then any of us should probably spend, but we do.

Granted, we are not paying but tell me again how it's not my money I'm spending. And if I and others decide not to spend it, lets see how much money Jerry has to spend.

I'm getting cranky in my old age Risen.

SSoup

Reaction score
It's a sport with a salary cap. Our team is run by some people who have made crippling, bad money moves in the past and landed us in bad cap shape numerous times. So of course we have to be vigilant watching out for their likelihood of them making those moves again. What's difficult to understand about that?

Even if they don't land us in salary cap jail outright again, they can still undermine us enough to make the difference. That's why I want the team to make the smartest move possible, for the present and for the future.

Not because I want Jerry to spend wisely so he keeps from ever spending a dollar more than he had to spend. I'd love it if Jerry spent himself into the poor house, personally. He's absolute garbage as a person and he deserves to be parted from his money at every turn in life, pretty much. And when Jerry gets his lunch eaten by hack agents, he may deserve it, but it's the team that pays for it.

Bad contracts don't magically go away, no matter how much the less money-savvy people believe it to be so. The team just decides to say, "Eh, it's Future Me's problem." And perpetually having to deal with Past Me's stupidity is often a big contributor when teams fall shorter than they had to.

kskboys

Reaction score
Best cap situation since the cap era began.......we are not mismanaging the cap. Let them write the checks and enjoy your football Sundays....
That's what we do on this site. Go over every little detail, and watch and worry.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
Sure it's "not your money". But that completely misses the point.

It's about the long term viability of the team and it's ability to compete within a salary cap structure.

That's what the discussions are about. Not who's money it is.
Yet when the experts and people that follow this team more closely than you here and tell you that salary cap won't be an issue going forward, you still act like it's your money. The cap will be 191M next year and increasing every year. Stop worrying about it. Bottom line, a lot of you would like to draft a player, develop them, have them turn into a good player and when it's time for their second deal, give the club a hometown discount. You wouldn't do this at your jobs. You would not take less.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Obviously Stephen knows what he is doing.

Trophies?

tenor.gif

bsbellomy

Reaction score
The Cowboys are in the best cap situation it has been in since the cap era started. Obviously Stephen knows what he is doing. So again why do you care?

You realize that your take is in essence that the Cowboys should continue to be wise with their spending?

ItzKelz

Reaction score
You realize that your take is in essence that the Cowboys should continue to be wise with their spending?
My take on this subject in this thread is that SJ has been doing a masterful job with the cap. We should not worry about how we spend money because recently we have not been given a reason to worry.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I think it's so funny/odd that so many posters are worried about the Cowboys spending money!

I see post after post about "only if he's cheap", "can't pay Zeke", "is Dak worth it?", "don't extend Dak.", "franchise Tank", and a million more.

I get that missing on a guy or two can put us in a negative cap situation. But the NFL is beautiful in that regard.

Most contracts aren't paid out and can be massaged to fit the year.

If you can trust anything in from this front office... trust two things:
They are going to pay guys.
They are going to rework guys

And something we might soon be able to trust:
They know what they're doing.
Im not against paying anyone. But there is a reason teams sometimes let their good players walk. Take Lawrence for instance, if Dallas gives him 20 mil a year for 5 years there is a good chance with his history of back issues his production will go down those last couple years and Dallas is stuck with having to pay him and counting against the cap. Like Tyron Smith is an albatross because he cant stay healthy a full season and refuses to have back surgery to try and resolve his issues. Zeke is gonna be worn out in 3 years. Dak is not good enough to not look for another QB. He is too much a product of the team and thats why I wouldnt pay him. I like Dak and he deserves to get paid but let someone else pay him.