Its Over Isn't It?

notherbob

Reaction score
5Stars said:
Art (the big boy at ExtremeSkins) is saying this a good thing for the Commanders, and that they will actually be better this then last year, and even better in years to come!

I questioned his logic....and it was "see you, it's been fun"!

And "poof"...I was gone, and so was the thread! What's with those people over there, anyway? :confused:

They're a bunch of government employees. What did you expect. Probably IRS auditors - :eek:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
5 Super Bowls said:
See post above, it is more of an in depth look at why Jerry and others don't want to give in.
I don't blame Jerry Jones even 1 little bit. He markets his team like it is the most important thing in the world to him.

On the opposite end of the scale you have an owner like Bill Bidwell. If he does nothing at all to market his team other than local commercials he will make X amount of revenue when added with the ticket and merchandise sales, etc. With revenue sharing among the teams he's going to get that same X amount, plus some extra money from teams like Dallas and Washington who market their team better than he does. His effort will not have increased even one iota but he will make more money.

That is why he wants revenue sharing.

The player's union wants a larger cut of the pie than they already have plus they want a cap increase.

I don't blame Jerry at all.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Hostile said:
I don't blame Jerry Jones even 1 little bit. He markets his team like it is the most important thing in the world to him.

On the opposite end of the scale you have an owner like Bill Bidwell. If he does nothing at all to market his team other than local commercials he will make X amount of revenue when added with the ticket and merchandise sales, etc. With revenue sharing among the teams he's going to get that same X amount, plus some extra money from teams like Dallas and Washington who market their team better than he does. His effort will not have increased even one iota but he will make more money.

That is why he wants revenue sharing.

The player's union wants a larger cut of the pie than they already have plus they want a cap increase.

I don't blame Jerry at all.

There is already revenue sharing. They just now want to include the local revenues into the pot. The biggest influx of revenue for the NFL is the TV contracts and that is shared amongst the league. That alone makes owners rich and gives them the money they need to build a team. Jerry and others do a better job of making money off their local market. I don't see that as a problem.

Jerry took the risk in buying the Cowboys. That is premier real estate. It was a little easier to make money with the Cowboys, but he also puts a lot into making money. If Bidwell were the Cowboys owner, he wouldn't have Jerry's money making success. Jerry would make money if he was in Arizona because he cares and works hard for it.

Maybe they can set a certain percentage of local revenues to share among all the teams, but it should be a low number. The owners have the right to make money in their own market. If I bought a McDonalds franchise and ran it better than the other ones in my area, I would want to keep that local revenue. Sure being part of McDonalds will provide a certain amount that is shared between all franchise owners, but if I am doing extra to draw attention to my particular location, then I deserve to keep the rewards of my efforts.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
You know what they should do? They should tell all the owners, "You get a certain percent of shared revenue based on your teams record, THAT YEAR!

You owners that want to field sucky teams, you get a low fair share of the money! You owners that want to win, and your team has a better record, your share of the money is higher!"

If the Bidwell's of the world just want to kick back and let others make money for him...tough luck, dude!

Work for the FRIGGEN MONEY! Don't make others support your bad habit!

joseephuss

Reaction score
5Stars said:
You know what they should do? They should tell all the owners, "You get a certain percent of shared revenue based on your teams record, THAT YEAR!

You owners that want to field sucky teams, you get a low fair share of the money! You owners that want to win, and your team has a better record, your share of the money is higher!"

If the Bidwell's of the world just want to kick back and let others make money for him...tough luck, dude!

Work for the FRIGGEN MONEY! Don't make others support your bad habit!

Essentially, that system already exists. The more money he puts into his team, the higher his local revenues will go up. If Arizona fields a better team, he will make more local money.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
joseephuss said:
Essentially, that system already exists. The more money he puts into his team, the higher his local revenues will go up. If Arizona fields a better team, he will make more local money.

Really? Then why is he not making LOCAL MONEY? (Because he knows or wants) teams likes JJ's and Snyder's, to bail him out! He don't care about LOCAL MONEY! He cares about others money...

How would you like to live in a neighborhood, where the guy across from you makes less money then you do? Yet, when it's all said and done, you have to help share all his debts?

Ok...that's good, so you help him...and again next year, because he don't get off his butt and go to work, you are doing the same thing again next year?

Is that right?

You hire the best employees that you can to earn money, while he hires from the local unemployment line....! Is that fair?

Not to my ears!

joseephuss

Reaction score
5Stars said:
Really? Then why is he not making LOCAL MONEY? (Because he knows or wants) teams likes JJ's and Snyder's, to bail him out! He don't care about LOCAL MONEY! He cares about others money...

How would you like to live in a neighborhood, where the guy across from you makes less money then you do? Yet, when it's all said and done, you have to help share all his debts?

Ok...that's good, so you help him...and again next year, because he don't get off his butt and go to work, you are doing the same thing again next year?

Is that right?

You hire the best employees that you can to earn money, while he hires from the local unemployment line....! Is that fair?

Not to my ears!

I guess you misunderstood what what I said. There is no local revenue sharing and I am for keeping it that way. Bidwell and the like want to change the current system. The system exists in a similar way that you mentioned, that local revenues should be shared based on record. It isn't shared right now and should not change. Teams do increase their intake of local revenues when they put up winning records along with clever local marketing.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
joseephuss said:
Isn't this just an arbitrary deadline? Can't both sides come up with an agreement next week and things go back to normal? It is still too early for doom and gloom. The next year may be a little choppy, but the league may end up better for it in the long run.

yes, technically they can d this anytime before the 2007 season, but what is at stake and why it has to be done before the 2006 season/free agency period is because ALOT of teams signed free agents in the past 4 years with backlogged bonus and such with the idea that the cap would be much higher this year. If this deal isn't a go, then alot of teams will be much over the cap and will have to cut some major players to get under the salary cap.