It's time for accountability

coult44

Reaction score
We've heard it before, just never in Dallas. Well I'll rephrase that, not since Parcells, have we heard anyone involved with the Cowboys talk about accountability.

I'll start with the top. Up until this week I've never heard JJ take ownership of the bad moves he has made. His job as GM has been pretty atrocious. He made a couple decent moves a year ago, but not many. Any other GM would've been fired 16-17 years ago. We've debated this for 20 years now, so I'll quickly move forward.

I've come to realize Jason is one of those do as I say, not as I do, type of coaches. He preaches the "they have to execute better" philosophy. I've never heard him say, "I" have to do a better job, "we" have to prepare the team better. He has created a culture of blame. Always pointing at players for not executing. And to make it worse, he doesn't hold the individual accountable for what they failed to execute. Other than cutting a couple guys for not wearing a suit, you never see a guy benched or moved back on the depth chart for anything. A few weeks back I was listening to the Pete Carroll show (I live in Seahawk country), and he spent the entire show talking about his responsibility to the team and to the fans. He literally broke down all the mistakes him and his staff had made during the first few games. He told the world that the team was not ready or prepared, and that it was completely his fault. Guess what? They haven't lost since I heard that show. Look at the GB coach, he finally had enough of his OC's mistakes, and took over himself. Different team this week wasn't it? I don't want JG calling plays, but you see my point.

There has been thread after thread discussing the players ineptness. We all can see and break down how bad they have been. But listen to them after the games. They all use the same line as what they have been brainwashed to say, "we failed to execute". But because of that, you never hear them apologize to their brothers for letting each other down. There is even infighting every week. You never hear them tell the fans they are embarrassed of the way they play and the mistakes they make. There is no real accountability because of the culture that has been created inside Valley Ranch.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
mirror.jpg

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
We've heard it before, just never in Dallas. Well I'll rephrase that, not since Parcells, have we heard anyone involved with the Cowboys talk about accountability.

I'll start with the top. Up until this week I've never heard JJ take ownership of the bad moves he has made. His job as GM has been pretty atrocious. He made a couple decent moves a year ago, but not many. Any other GM would've been fired 16-17 years ago. We've debated this for 20 years now, so I'll quickly move forward.

I've come to realize Jason is one of those do as I say, not as I do, type of coaches. He preaches the "they have to execute better" philosophy. I've never heard him say, "I" have to do a better job, "we" have to prepare the team better. He has created a culture of blame. Always pointing at players for not executing. And to make it worse, he doesn't hold the individual accountable for what they failed to execute. Other than cutting a couple guys for not wearing a suit, you never see a guy benched or moved back on the depth chart for anything. A few weeks back I was listening to the Pete Carroll show (I live in Seahawk country), and he spent the entire show talking about his responsibility to the team and to the fans. He literally broke down all the mistakes him and his staff had made during the first few games. He told the world that the team was not ready or prepared, and that it was completely his fault. Guess what? They haven't lost since I heard that show. Look at the GB coach, he finally had enough of his OC's mistakes, and took over himself. Different team this week wasn't it? I don't want JG calling plays, but you see my point.

There has been thread after thread discussing the players ineptness. We all can see and break down how bad they have been. But listen to them after the games. They all use the same line as what they have been brainwashed to say, "we failed to execute". But because of that, you never hear them apologize to their brothers for letting each other down. There is even infighting every week. You never hear them tell the fans they are embarrassed of the way they play and the mistakes they make. There is no real accountability because of the culture that has been created inside Valley Ranch.

In 2020, on 60 minutes Jerry jones accepts blames for the poor roster he put together. In 2011 Jerry accepts blame for the super bowl seating issues. On August 28th 2014 Jerry accepted blame for the issues between him and jimmy Johnson. Jerry isn't as stubborn as you think. There are numerous interviews and articles where the owner/gm takes ownership of the problems.

In an article on dec 16th 2013, Garrett accepts blame for poor coaching against the packers. There are tons of quotes and articles out there where he holds himself accountable.

Last edited:

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
In 2020, on 60 minutes Jerry jones accepts blames for the poor roster he put together. In 2011 Jerry accepts blame for the super bowl seating issues. On August 28th 2014 Jerry accepted blame for the issues between him and jimmy Johnson. Jerry isn't as stubborn as you think. There are numerous interviews and articles where the owner/gm takes ownership of the problems.

That's true. It's the solutions where he fails to take any blame.

movaughn88

Reaction score
goodness gracious..I'm sure what I really have to say about this buffoon would get me banned so I'm just going to leave it at that.

It's actually statistically proven that turnovers are a function of luck, so you're barking (banning?) up the wrong tree. I know you guys won't listen to logic at this point though.

The Natural

Reaction score
It's actually statistically proven that turnovers are a function of luck, so you're barking (banning?) up the wrong tree. I know you guys won't listen to logic at this point though.

that's irrelevant. My problem is why is the Head Coach throwing the defense under the bus as lackluster as his offense has been all year?

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Not defending Jerry the GM, but Jerry the owner has always stepped up to the plate and admitted his mistakes. He has addressed almost every bad deal he has ever signed and admitted he got carried away.

If only Jerry the GM showed as much shrewdness.

Garrett on the other hand, I have never once heard or seen take responsibility. He either side steps the issue or simply attempts to explains why the decision was made. Even when he tries to explain, it's generally done as "we" did this for X reason or "as a team we"... He's never once just said, I dropped the ball, even though it happens virtually every game.

texbumthelife

Reaction score

It is impossible to attribute any statistic to luck, by very definition. Turnovers, however, do follow other statistical anomalies, such as teams playing from ahead 2+ scores, teams with a high number of sacks etc.

Saying anything is statistically proven as a function of luck is about as ridiculous and made up as anything I have ever heard.

movaughn88

Reaction score
that's irrelevant. My problem is why is the Head Coach throwing the defense under the bus as lackluster as his offense has been all year?

Sounds to me like he's saying "with the same group of guys how are we polar opposite on turnovers" which I also wonder and lament.

It's pile on Garrett time so it's fine. A year from now we will have a better answer on him. Time will tell.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Think it's time for Red to go find the man he replaced...Wade Phillips, and ask him if he is still doing large ranch cook outs?

movaughn88

Reaction score
It is impossible to attribute any statistic to luck, by very definition. Turnovers, however, do follow other statistical anomalies, such as teams playing from ahead 2+ scores, teams with a high number of sacks etc.

Saying anything is statistically proven as a function of luck is about as ridiculous and made up as anything I have ever heard.

Then I guess you don't understand statistics. If you want technical terms, turnovers are a function of randomness. They plot out over numerous seasons on a normal distribution once you have a large enough sample size. Odds favor a mean reversion when you have a statistical outlier like we had last year, and unfortunately we had a similar outlier this year. Last year happened to be a favorable one for the fans of the team though. So yes, luck was a general term on my part, and infuses some meaning. The truth is it's randomness.

Edit: I went and looked, we didn't have as much of an outlier last year, my bad. This year we definitely have one though.

Last edited:

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Then I guess you don't understand statistics. If you want technical terms, turnovers are a function of randomness. They plot out over numerous seasons on a normal distribution once you have a large enough sample size. Odds favor a mean reversion when you have a statistical outlier like we had last year, and unfortunately we had a similar outlier this year. Last year happened to be a favorable one for the fans of the team though. So yes, luck was a general term on my part, and infuses some meaning. The truth is it's randomness.

Then how do you attribute certain teams regularly leading the league or being towards the top of the league in turnovers? That's just random luck?

Its already been posted on this site, but the rate of turnovers a team gets seems to, in part, be closely attributed to how often said team has a lead of two scores or more.

Anything and everything, literally everything can be tied to luck. It's about putting yourself in a position that favors an outcome. You have a much higher chance of winning the lottery is you buy 1000 lottery tickets than if you buy one.

scottsp

Reaction score
Gotta say, I take Jerry's many mea culpas with a grain of salt. The man is always selling, and this is much of the same. If it weren't, the same mistakes wouldn't be made again and again.

As for Garrett, he can passively assign blame all he wants. All I know is, its' difficult seeing anyone's feet being held to the fire over there. I could care less about sound bites. What's being done? And for the record, some of us were asking this very question in August, so this isn't just the frustration of 4-9 talking.