It's time for accountability

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Then I guess you don't understand statistics. If you want technical terms, turnovers are a function of randomness. They plot out over numerous seasons on a normal distribution once you have a large enough sample size. Odds favor a mean reversion when you have a statistical outlier like we had last year, and unfortunately we had a similar outlier this year. Last year happened to be a favorable one for the fans of the team though. So yes, luck was a general term on my part, and infuses some meaning. The truth is it's randomness.

Edit: I went and looked, we didn't have as much of an outlier last year, my bad. This year we definitely have one though.

Are you ... From ...the future?

coult44

Reaction score
Sounds to me like he's saying "with the same group of guys how are we polar opposite on turnovers" which I also wonder and lament.

It's pile on Garrett time so it's fine. A year from now we will have a better answer on him. Time will tell.

Go back to last years threads. You'll find some of us saying wait untill this year to give your answer on Garrett. Just like usual with Cowboy fans, we are way too quick to anoint someone as the next "great" anything...

birdwells1

Reaction score
We've heard it before, just never in Dallas. Well I'll rephrase that, not since Parcells, have we heard anyone involved with the Cowboys talk about accountability.

I'll start with the top. Up until this week I've never heard JJ take ownership of the bad moves he has made. His job as GM has been pretty atrocious. He made a couple decent moves a year ago, but not many. Any other GM would've been fired 16-17 years ago. We've debated this for 20 years now, so I'll quickly move forward.

I've come to realize Jason is one of those do as I say, not as I do, type of coaches. He preaches the "they have to execute better" philosophy. I've never heard him say, "I" have to do a better job, "we" have to prepare the team better. He has created a culture of blame. Always pointing at players for not executing. And to make it worse, he doesn't hold the individual accountable for what they failed to execute. Other than cutting a couple guys for not wearing a suit, you never see a guy benched or moved back on the depth chart for anything. A few weeks back I was listening to the Pete Carroll show (I live in Seahawk country), and he spent the entire show talking about his responsibility to the team and to the fans. He literally broke down all the mistakes him and his staff had made during the first few games. He told the world that the team was not ready or prepared, and that it was completely his fault. Guess what? They haven't lost since I heard that show. Look at the GB coach, he finally had enough of his OC's mistakes, and took over himself. Different team this week wasn't it? I don't want JG calling plays, but you see my point.

There has been thread after thread discussing the players ineptness. We all can see and break down how bad they have been. But listen to them after the games. They all use the same line as what they have been brainwashed to say, "we failed to execute". But because of that, you never hear them apologize to their brothers for letting each other down. There is even infighting every week. You never hear them tell the fans they are embarrassed of the way they play and the mistakes they make. There is no real accountability because of the culture that has been created inside Valley Ranch.

Bruce Arians on Public Criticism

“Calais should have had a dominating game and he didn’t do it,” Arians told Bickley and Marotta Monday on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. “He has a tendency to lose his technique in games and disappear when he should dominate. That was a game that they should have said ‘no mas, get him out of here’ and it doesn’t happen sometimes.

“It’s one of the ways he has to grow as a player.”
Campbell doesn’t feel singled out, and he shouldn’t. Arians is an equal opportunity offender.

If quarterback Carson Palmer had three touchdown passes, Arians will mention the two others he missed.

If the secondary has two interceptions, Arians brings up the two it dropped.

If Jared Veldheer had a perfect day pass blocking, as he did last Sunday, Arians adds that his left tackle’s run blocking was average.

“After the Pittsburgh game, I think he (Arians) might have put in the media that Carson ‘p----d down his leg,’ or something of that nature,” Powers said. “Nobody’s safe.”

Cardinals petrified of Arians' 'Accountability Board'

To say Arians is a stickler for details wouldn't be giving the "Accountability Board" justice. Any misstep, misread, misdeed and mistake is jotted down, and the offending player pays for it by basically being ripped apart by Arians in front of the entire team.

Turn the wrong way after finishing a block? You're on the list. Were you two seconds late getting to the huddle? You're on the list. Didn't drop back that one extra step into coverage? You're on the list.

"Trust me," veteran pass rusher John Abraham said, "you don't want your name on there. You don't want to be called out in front of everybody. It would be different if it was just in your own (positional) meeting room.

"But when you get singled out like that, it stings, man. I was on there once, and I didn't like it, either."

Arians estimates he's been relying on this scared-straight teaching tool for almost 25 years now and it usually brings about the desired results. It wakes the player up like a hard slap across the face and the player responds by not repeating the mistake.

"He'll get you for the littlest thing," rookie running back Andre Ellington complained. "You can step wrong and you'll be on that board the next morning, getting yelled at."

"That's why I like it, though," said Daryl Washington, Pro Bowl middle linebacker, "because even the smallest things can beat you."

Arians may have his favorites, but he doesn't play them when it comes to his mass public maligning sessions. If you screw up, you're going to get called out whether your name is Larry Fitzgerald or Padric Scott, the team's fourth-string nose tackle.

"Anybody is fair game if you make a mistake," second-year tackle Bobby Massie said. "I was on there earlier in camp but I haven't been on there for a week and a half. That's a good thing, too."

Man I miss the days of Jimmy.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Not defending Jerry the GM, but Jerry the owner has always stepped up to the plate and admitted his mistakes. He has addressed almost every bad deal he has ever signed and admitted he got carried away.

If only Jerry the GM showed as much shrewdness.

Garrett on the other hand, I have never once heard or seen take responsibility. He either side steps the issue or simply attempts to explains why the decision was made. Even when he tries to explain, it's generally done as "we" did this for X reason or "as a team we"... He's never once just said, I dropped the ball, even though it happens virtually every game.

This is why I think he will never change his plays or the playbook. He will keep churning out predictable play after predictable play. He won't admit he is wrong and would rather make this franchise suffer and look silly in order to show the world that he is right. He is bad for the team. Bad for us loyal fans and this franchise.

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
How about simple player development? I can name maybe 7 players who are having a better year this year than last year and two of them are by default because they didn't play:

Greg Hardy
Sean Lee
Brandon Carr (not by much)
Morris Claiborne (not by much)
Demarcus Lawrence (not by much)
Jack Crawford (dont even know of he played much at all last year)
Chris Jones

visionary

Reaction score

“Calais should have had a dominating game and he didn’t do it,” Arians told Bickley and Marotta Monday on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. “He has a tendency to lose his technique in games and disappear when he should dominate. That was a game that they should have said ‘no mas, get him out of here’ and it doesn’t happen sometimes.

Campbell doesn’t feel singled out, and he shouldn’t. Arians is an equal opportunity offender.

If quarterback Carson Palmer had three touchdown passes, Arians will mention the two others he missed.

If Jared Veldheer had a perfect day pass blocking, as he did last Sunday, Arians adds that his left tackle’s run blocking was average.

“After the Pittsburgh game, I think he (Arians) might have put in the media that Carson ‘p----d down his leg,’ or something of that nature,” Powers said. “Nobody’s safe.”

To say Arians is a stickler for details wouldn't be giving the "Accountability Board" justice. Any misstep, misread, misdeed and mistake is jotted down, and the offending player pays for it by basically being ripped apart by Arians in front of the entire team.

Turn the wrong way after finishing a block? You're on the list. Were you two seconds late getting to the huddle? You're on the list. Didn't drop back that one extra step into coverage? You're on the list.

"Trust me," veteran pass rusher John Abraham said, "you don't want your name on there. You don't want to be called out in front of everybody. It would be different if it was just in your own (positional) meeting room.

"But when you get singled out like that, it stings, man. I was on there once, and I didn't like it, either."

Arians estimates he's been relying on this scared-straight teaching tool for almost 25 years now and it usually brings about the desired results. It wakes the player up like a hard slap across the face and the player responds by not repeating the mistake.

"He'll get you for the littlest thing," rookie running back Andre Ellington complained. "You can step wrong and you'll be on that board the next morning, getting yelled at."

"That's why I like it, though," said Daryl Washington, Pro Bowl middle linebacker, "because even the smallest things can beat you."

Arians may have his favorites, but he doesn't play them when it comes to his mass public maligning sessions. If you screw up, you're going to get called out whether your name is Larry Fitzgerald or Padric Scott, the team's fourth-string nose tackle.

"Anybody is fair game if you make a mistake," second-year tackle Bobby Massie said. "I was on there earlier in camp but I haven't been on there for a week and a half. That's a good thing, too."

I "clap clap spit" this message

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
We've heard it before, just never in Dallas. Well I'll rephrase that, not since Parcells, have we heard anyone involved with the Cowboys talk about accountability.

I'll start with the top. Up until this week I've never heard JJ take ownership of the bad moves he has made. His job as GM has been pretty atrocious. He made a couple decent moves a year ago, but not many. Any other GM would've been fired 16-17 years ago. We've debated this for 20 years now, so I'll quickly move forward.

I've come to realize Jason is one of those do as I say, not as I do, type of coaches. He preaches the "they have to execute better" philosophy. I've never heard him say, "I" have to do a better job, "we" have to prepare the team better. He has created a culture of blame. Always pointing at players for not executing. And to make it worse, he doesn't hold the individual accountable for what they failed to execute. Other than cutting a couple guys for not wearing a suit, you never see a guy benched or moved back on the depth chart for anything. A few weeks back I was listening to the Pete Carroll show (I live in Seahawk country), and he spent the entire show talking about his responsibility to the team and to the fans. He literally broke down all the mistakes him and his staff had made during the first few games. He told the world that the team was not ready or prepared, and that it was completely his fault. Guess what? They haven't lost since I heard that show. Look at the GB coach, he finally had enough of his OC's mistakes, and took over himself. Different team this week wasn't it? I don't want JG calling plays, but you see my point.

There has been thread after thread discussing the players ineptness. We all can see and break down how bad they have been. But listen to them after the games. They all use the same line as what they have been brainwashed to say, "we failed to execute". But because of that, you never hear them apologize to their brothers for letting each other down. There is even infighting every week. You never hear them tell the fans they are embarrassed of the way they play and the mistakes they make. There is no real accountability because of the culture that has been created inside Valley Ranch.

Why does nobody admit when theyre trying to make a point that this team hasnt had Romo has been this teams biggest weakness? People are going to say Romo didnt look good in the first two weeks before he got hurt. No duh he didnt play any preseason football. Nobody did. Doesnt anybody remember the start of the 2014 season? He started the same way but got his feet under him and he took off for one of the greatest seasons by a Cowboy QB in their history. People on this forum said it the entire preseason this yr, its going to be a rocky start of the yr because nobody is playing. But now that the season is a total loss all of that is out the door and suddenly this team needs to be torn apart, and there needs to be accountability. Stop the bull, Dallas just got the unluckiest of unlucky breaks in week 2.

If you look at the NFL there is bad play everywhere. So many teams with losing records. The NFL and this whole limiting the number of practices are not only causing bad football on the field, but causing so many injuries because these players are no prepared physically. going full pads 1 day a week is not the way u prepare but the NFL insures that its for safety. Tell that to the 28 teams who have over 4 players on IR. Tell that to Baltimore who has 15 players on IR.

give all that Culture junk a rest, this time last yr everybody was saying this team was superbowl contender nobody was talking about a culture problem then. Now theyre the trash of the NFL? IMO fans are the ones who need to be accountable. Check your fan card. Its one thing to be disappointed in the outcome of your team, we all are. But its another thing to Ignore a injury that crippled your team. Its another thing to ignore the fact that these new NFL policies have crippled a whole lot of nfl teams. I blame this team for not being prepared in the backup QB position, and Jerry has put himself right in front of the line to accept that blame. He's accountable.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I don't care how the picture is being painted...kiss your sister!

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
mirror.jpg

I must be vampire.......I don't see my reflection.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Case in point. Notorious hater who was eerily quiet last year and now revels again in Cowboys misery.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

Wow. I have a case of coach envy so bad right now.

daveferr33

Reaction score

Great Post.

If you want to know where the Cowboys are headed the next 10-15 years compare Michael Bidwill's approach to running an organization to Stephen Jones. In one instance the apple fell very far from the tree. In the other, not so much...

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
A little trip down memory lane...Just a simple google search of Jason Garrett comes up with this...

Garrett's passive leadership costly

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/10144515/jason-garrett-lets-cowboys-loss

Jason Garrett: Tony Romo should've handed off on INT

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...-garrett-tony-romo-shouldve-handed-off-on-int

Cowlishaw: Jason Garrett's gift to Falcons triggers unstoppable Atlanta comeback

http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...falcons-triggers-unstoppable-atlanta-comeback

Cowboys coach Jason Garrett: All-star officiating crews to blame for blown PI against Detroit Lions

http://detroit.suntimes.com/det-spo...s-to-blame-for-blown-pi-against-detroit-lions

Dez Bryant's Catch That Was(n't) - Blame Coach Jason Garrett First!

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/dez-bryants-catch-wasnt-blame-coach-jason-garrett-first-csathy

Dallas Cowboys’ Coaches To Blame For Faltering Offense

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2015/12/14/dallas-cowboys-coaches-to-blame-for-faltering-offense/

Dallas Cowboys Rumors: Monte Kiffin Fired After Jerry Jones Defends Jason Garrett? Kyle Orton Takes Blame as Owner to Evaluate Coaching Staff in Offseason

http://www.sportsworldreport.com/ar...-orton-blame-coaching-staff-evaluate-2014.htm

The Cowboys Are In Trouble, Only Jason Garrett Can Save Them And Himself

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012...-trouble-only-jason-garrett-can-save-them-and

Why Dallas Cowboys Absolutely Must Fire Jason Garrett Before Season's End

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ly-must-fire-jason-garrett-before-seasons-end

Jason Garrett's Late-Game Clock Management: Why Garrett Coached Like a Coward

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-management-why-garrett-coached-like-a-coward