Its time to move Tyler inside

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Why can't a rookie have a bad game?

Dude has been stellar all freaking season.

We would not be 8-3 without Tyler Smith.

I do agree he's a better inside player. But fans reacting to one game doesn't mean he's not an above average LT as a rookie, because he is.

RonWashington

Reaction score
First off Jason Peters at 40 will not go 4 quarters . So if you start him your going to have to give him some series off . Musical chairs at LT not a good idea. No I stick with 73 at LT . 77 can he last ?

Tyler Smith went up against Thibodeaux a top 5 pick let’s not jump off a bridge . And I don’t why anyone thinks Tyler Smith is a future RT ? Terence Steele having a solid yr has improved . I personally think 73 Smith and Steele are the present and future starting tackles with Connor McGovern coming back at LG . Peters and Tyron are marking time until retirement .

plasticman

Reaction score
Move Tyler inside?

Just as the Cowboys line was beginning to jell and the running game was really coming alive?

Move Tyler to a position he is far less accustomed to and replace him with a 32 year old coming off an injury who hasn't played all season?

Is that an upgrade? In his last 39 games Tyron Smith had 25 penalties, 17 for holding, 4 for false start, and 4 for offsides. That's 0.64 penalties a game.

Tyler has 8 penalties in 11 games That's 0.73 penalties a game, not much different.

I'm not a big fan of change in the middle of the season when it comes to the offensive line. It messes up timing and cohesion.

I might be in favor of certain "power" packages that might feature a line that included both Tyron and Tyler with Martin and Peters. Perhaps it would be a short yardage or goal line group

In the meantime, just because Tyron has recovered from his most recent injury, are we now going to trust that his back won't affect his reliability?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Yea, and they’re rookies.

How’s it going to go down in the playoffs when he’s facing dudes like Nick Bosa, Brandon Graham, etc…vets with actual pass rush moves?

Omg! He is not dominating elite players! What a disaster.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Dak was under duress all game, hit just as he got rid of the ball. Happened too often vs Gints.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Move Tyler inside?

Just as the Cowboys line was beginning to jell and the running game was really coming alive?

Move Tyler to a position he is far less accustomed to and replace him with a 32 year old coming off an injury who hasn't played all season?

Is that an upgrade? In his last 39 games Tyron Smith had 25 penalties, 17 for holding, 4 for false start, and 4 for offsides. That's 0.64 penalties a game.

Tyler has 8 penalties in 11 games That's 0.73 penalties a game, not much different.

I'm not a big fan of change in the middle of the season when it comes to the offensive line. It messes up timing and cohesion.

I might be in favor of certain "power" packages that might feature a line that included both Tyron and Tyler with Martin and Peters. Perhaps it would be a short yardage or goal line group

In the meantime, just because Tyron has recovered from his most recent injury, are we now going to trust that his back won't affect his reliability?

Tyron had 7 penalties last year. Tyler likely doubles that and then some this year. Tyler gave up 7 pressures on Thanksgiving. Tyron gave up 11 all of last year.

If Tyron is healthy he gives us out best chance to win at LT.

Reactions: BAT

terra

Reaction score
Tyler is a rookie from a program not noted for churning out NFL OL starters like Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Iowa, etc.
So he is raw facing some of the best pass rushers there are.
It is called growing pains for the really stupid
However there is a point about having Tyron back; especially for the playoffs.
Because in the end its about winning games in the playoffs.
If Tyron is ready - not a sure thing- then he should start.
Personally I would love to see Tyler stay at tackle and have Tyron at RT and Peters at LG. Your best players on the field.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Wink Martindale is known for his exotic blitzes. He uses them all the time, which is why they lead the NFL in blitzing.

Smith just got fooled a few times and confused about who to take. It isn’t really surprising that he had a little bit of a tough game. It was his first time against a defense like that.

Few defenses are like that… It was a learning experience for him.

From what I saw, it was just straight up pass blocking on the DE and he was getting whipped 90% of the time.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Yes, let's ignore Tyler Smith's performance for 10 games and bench him after one bad game for a 40 year old guy who hasn't been able to take his job.

There's no bias like recency bias, other than looking for warm bodies in graveyards.

Way to ignore what I said, and hallucinate a bunch of things I didn't say.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Tyler is a rookie from a program not noted for churning out NFL OL starters like Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Iowa, etc.
So he is raw facing some of the best pass rushers there are.
It is called growing pains for the really stupid
However there is a point about having Tyron back; especially for the playoffs.
Because in the end its about winning games in the playoffs.
If Tyron is ready - not a sure thing- then he should start.
Personally I would love to see Tyler stay at tackle and have Tyron at RT and Peters at LG. Your best players on the field.

Moving Tyler to LG and either Tyron/Peters at LT would still be playing your best 5.

And playing the positions that would actually IMPROVE the OL play of current team.

There is plenty of time for Tyler to be the LT of the future.

I'd rather Tyler be All Pro and SB winning LG of THIS season.

Haimerej

Reaction score

He has 10 flags, two of them weren't accepted because of other penalties. Only 1 guy in the league has more flags against. Tyler leads the league in holding penalties at 6.

plasticman

Reaction score
He has 10 flags, two of them weren't accepted because of other penalties. Only 1 guy in the league has more flags against. Tyler leads the league in holding penalties at 6.
And last season 7 of the top 35 penalty magnets were Cowboys. It's not like he brought penalties to this team. All of the Cowboys starting tackles from last season, Smith, Steele, and Collins are all in that top 35 group.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Most OL don't face 2 pass rushers on multiple snaps in the same game.

On some snaps both players were DLinemen which is odd. Usually the extra rusher is a LB or DB.

They were over-focused on doubling the big interior DLinemen and the Giants schemed to take advantage of that issue.

This is an accurate assessment.

Poor Tyler.

Guy has been out freaking standing all year, they manage to win, convincingly, again, against a team with a winning record, which is my whole knock on Dak.

And he played well enough to allow the rest of the team to win it in spite of his individual play, which wasn't as bad as it looks all things considered, and he can't catch a break from the reactionary fans.

I rest easy though with Smith. He's the type of player who gets the game. He listens and does what he's told. And does that well.

Not that he's a pushover. He's just smart enough to listen to those who know more, and soak it all in.

I suspect one day we'll see Tyler Smith as a coach.

Haimerej

Reaction score
And last season 7 of the top 35 penalty magnets were Cowboys. It's not like he brought penalties to this team. All of the Cowboys starting tackles from last season, Smith, Steele, and Collins are all in that top 35 group.

He was literally the most penalized player in college football.

plasticman

Reaction score
He was literally the most penalized player in college football.
Then they literally should have not drafted him if they didn't intend to teach him techniques to avoid the penalties.

They knew what they were getting and they have always intended for him to be Tyron's replacement. At this point in time I am justified in being skeptical about Tyon's durability and reliability given his current injury plus his ongoing back issues. I would rather stick with the guy who was going to be the future anyway.

As far as his penalties, again, it wasn't an issue when they decided to draft him. I think he can reduce them in time but, for now, it's something that is associated with lack of experience, being a rookie. At least we know he will be available. With Tyron it will always ne week to week. That's not good for cohesion on eh O-line.

Haimerej

Reaction score
As far as his penalties, again, it wasn't an issue when they decided to draft him.

The most penalized team in the NFL drafted the most penalized player in college. It was most definitely an issue and the main reason people were worried about the pick. All that talk about being, "raw," was a nicer way of saying his technique sucked and he got a lot of penalties. For all the hype he gets around here you'd think he was playing like an All-Pro. Connor Williams was pushed out the door for 17 flags last year and Tyler is right on pace for the same result.

terra

Reaction score
The most penalized team in the NFL drafted the most penalized player in college. It was most definitely an issue and the main reason people were worried about the pick. All that talk about being, "raw," was a nicer way of saying his technique sucked and he got a lot of penalties. For all the hype he gets around here you'd think he was playing like an All-Pro. Connor Williams was pushed out the door for 17 flags last year and Tyler is right on pace for the same result.
How many years has Williams been in the league?
He never learned
Tyler is a rookie; and he is raw since he did not have a top program to teach him the basics real well
Strange how some people do not get that

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Amazing to read so many want Smith kicked inside to LG after only a few weeks ago praising him as the here and now starter at LT. People turn on players so quick around here lol

Jarntt

Reaction score
The Tyler Smith debate pretty much sums up this franchise’s fans over dramatic nature. We are the exact opposite of the “things are never as good or as bad as they seem” saying. It’s been interesting to watch the constant overreactions to Tyler this year. When he was named the starter many acted as if he would be the absolute worst LT in the league and would single-handedly derail our season. Then he played well and many acted as if he was already an elite LT and also acted as if he should stay there even if Tyron came back healthy. Now many are acting as if he is horrible again and that we must move him no matter what.

the simple fact is he is doing exactly what most young LTs do. He is playing ok. He is making mistakes but also showing flashes of what he can be. He never played at an elite level this year regardless of what some on here stated, but he hasn’t been horrible at any point either. He was never going to force the team to bench or move Tyron this year but he is absolutely going to start over McGovern if Tyron comes back and he is likely to be our LT for a long time going forward. Just let the kid play and continue to develop. Playing him at LG in no way thwarts his development. Just playing helps him continue to develop. And if he struggles a little that’s par for the course. Did you see the Giants LT last week? He was horrible and he has for the most part been very good this year. Just let the kid play and accept the growing pains and get excited over the good things he does that will become more and more common next year

it’s never been Peters vs Tyler or Tyron vs Tyler. All along it’s been Peters or Tyron vs McGovern to determine our best 5. When you have 2 certain HOFers and a rookie who has played both positions this year, you move the rookie if either of those HOFers is more comfortable at LT and proves ready to move McGovern to the bench.