Iupati making an impression in Mobile

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Hoofbite;3257816 said:
If this is a guy you think will be a Pro Bowl Left Tackle, you do it in a heartbeat.

Of course. I would probably exchange my entire draft for Joe Thomas or Ryan Clady. :laugh2:

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
sonnyboy;3257762 said:
How much "impact" would a young quality OG, someone significantly bigger, stronger and better than Koiser, have had in Minnesota?

I'll be off my freaking rocker if our first pick isn't an OL.

I never said I dont want him to be my first pick.

I said I dont want to trade up for an Olinemen. As others on the board have said, the Minnesota game does not tell the whole story on our linemen.

I'm fine with Oline with first pick, but if we're trading up, I hope it's because McClain or Spikes fell to 20-25 or so.

Because if you land either one of those, they sit a year and learn under James/Brooking, and then you have an absolute stud manning the MLB position for the next 10 years.

That's worth trading up for and passing on an offensive linemen.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
NextGenBoys;3257854 said:

I said I dont want to trade up for an Olinemen. As others on the board have said, the Minnesota game does not tell the whole story on our linemen.

I'm fine with Oline with first pick, but if we're trading up, I hope it's because McClain or Spikes fell to 20-25 or so.

Because if you land either one of those, they sit a year and learn under James/Brooking, and then you have an absolute stud manning the MLB position for the next 10 years.

Iupati is a once in a decade type lineman. Straight beast!. We see what O-linemen can do for you. AKA the Jets.

L-O-Jete

Reaction score
Iupati will go like Naole in the early teens, no way we get a shot at him, this is a DEEP draft with lots of underclassmen so making a JJ Stokes/Ricky Williams trade would be unwise to put it kindly. I only whish Jerry had gotten some extra picks this year with all that dealing he did last year, in 6 years this will be considered one of the strongest overall drafts in the last 20+ years.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;3257860 said:
Iupati is a once in a decade type lineman. Straight beast!. We see what O-lines do for you. AKA the Jets.

I'm not downplaying the importance of the Oline. It all starts in the trenches.

I disagree with your assessment on Iupati though. He's good, but not once per decade.

Not to mention you dont build your Oline through guards. And who do you bench, Kosier or Davis? Kosier played better than Davis in Minnesota.

However you do build your defense around a playmaking MLB.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
L-O-Jete;3257861 said:
Iupati will go like Naole in the early teens, no way we get a shot at him, this is a DEEP draft with lots of underclassmen so making a JJ Stokes/Ricky Williams trade would be unwise to put it kindly. I only whish Jerry had gotten some extra picks this year with all that dealing he did last year, in 6 years this will be considered one of the strongest overall drafts in the last 20+ years.

I agree. That's one thing i wish Jerry did last year. Get more 2010 picks. This draft is loaded.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
NextGenBoys;3257864 said:
I'm not downplaying the importance of the Oline. It all starts in the trenches.

I disagree with your assessment on Iupati though. He's good, but not once per decade.

Not to mention you dont build your Oline through guards. And who do you bench, Kosier or Davis? Kosier played better than Davis in Minnesota.

However you do build your defense around a playmaking MLB.

You don't build your oline through guards? Iupati could play RT. He didn't give up one sack his entire college career. We won't see a lineman like him for awhile. He would start over Kosier easily.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;3257867 said:
You don't build your oline through guards? Iupati could play RT. He didn't give up one sack his entire college career. We won't see a lineman like him for awhile. He would start over Kosier easily.

I like Iupati, but I doubt he ever plays a single snap at tackle in the NFL. That said, I would love to have him as Koiser replacement in a year or so.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
No! No! No! No! Someone go to Mobile and tell this fool to take it easy on the guys he's blocking before he ruins everything and ends up playing in Greenbay!

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
NextGenBoys;3257854 said:

Sounds good.

But we can't afford anymore passing on the OL.

We have the oldest OL in football.
No other team has 5 starters over 30, no other team has 5 starters this close to the end of their football careers.
We may very well need 5 new starters by the 2013 season.
That's some scarey stuff.

Especially when you consider we are supposed to be a contending team for the foreseeable future.

We need to move our picks up and down to match the OL talent as we grade it.

If we have 2-3 OL we really like at 27 and all three are still on the board at pick 20, stay put.
But that's not likely.

Chances are there's one guy left we'd love at 27, when the 20th or 22nd selection is up.
If that's the case, send that 3rd or 4th rd pick along with the 27th to move up and get him.

I just don't think this team is in a BPA position. It needs young OL now and if it has to, should be willing to pay a resonable premium to get them.

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
Iupati would be the perfect replacement for Kosier at LG for us. It seems he may end up going before our pick comes around though the way people are talking about him.

The Realist

Reaction score
sonnyboy;3257913 said:
Sounds good.

But we can't afford anymore passing on the OL.

We have the oldest OL in football.
No other team has 5 starters over 30, no other team has 5 starters this close to the end of their football careers.
We may very well need 5 new starters by the 2013 season.
That's some scarey stuff.

Especially when you consider we are supposed to be a contending team for the foreseeable future.

We need to move our picks up and down to match the OL talent as we grade it.

If we have 2-3 OL we really like at 27 and all three are still on the board at pick 20, stay put.
But that's not likely.

Chances are there's one guy left we'd love at 27, when the 20th or 22nd selection is up.
If that's the case, send that 3rd or 4th rd pick along with the 27th to move up and get him.

I just don't think this team is in a BPA position. It needs young OL now and if it has to, should be willing to pay a resonable premium to get them.

It's not really that scary if you think you have 2 of them on the roster already

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
The Realist;3257919 said:
It's not really that scary if you think you have 2 of them on the roster already

2? Free and who? Proctor? :laugh2: Nobody knows anything about Brewster yet.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
nyc;3257851 said:
Of course. I would probably exchange my entire draft for Joe Thomas or Ryan Clady. :laugh2:

nyc;3257879 said:
I like Iupati, but I doubt he ever plays a single snap at tackle in the NFL. That said, I would love to have him as Koiser replacement in a year or so.

From what little I have heard, some think he can play Tackle.

Think it was Mayock which doesn't mean much but is worth something.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3257925 said:
He was around 40 before skipping the Senior Bowl. That hurt his stock and theres a possibilty hes there

I could be wrong, but I'll be surprised.

VACowboy

Reaction score
I wouldn't trade up for anyone, unless some team gives us a ridiculous deal. Stay put and select Pouncey or Johnson.

The Realist

Reaction score
VACowboy;3258269 said:
I wouldn't trade up for anyone, unless some team gives us a ridiculous deal. Stay put and select Pouncey or Johnson.

Mike Johnson in the first round?

rkell87

Reaction score
The Realist;3257777 said:
Can someone convince me with links and or video that Ducasse is getting abused at tackle.

Last time I saw him he steamrolled Schofield, finished the block and drove him into the turf.

For the record I want Ducasse at guard.

what you saw was shofeild tearing his acl