I've listened to Stephen Jones talk twice

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
and both times he mentioned backup Tight End.

Then I see Bill Jones mock and he has us trading down and taking Fleener in the 1st round.

Now I could see us going Fleener in round 2 if he somehow was at our pick but I can't see us going TE until Round 3 at the earliest.

Anyone worried we may go TE in the 2nd round and it won't be Fleener?

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
CATCH17;4511703 said:
and both times he mentioned backup Tight End.

Then I see Bill Jones mock and he has us trading down and taking Fleener in the 1st round.

Now I could see us going Fleener in round 2 if he somehow was at our pick but I can't see us going TE until Round 3 at the earliest.

Anyone worried we may go TE in the 2nd round and it won't be Fleener?

I have been saying quietly for a while, if Jerry gets in the trader mode we have scene before and Dallas finds themselves in the bottom 10 of Round 1 the odds are your going to see either Doug Martin or Coby Fleener called.

Ren

Reaction score
I'm worried we go TE before day 3 to be honest our track record drafting them round 2 or higher is not exactly good

supercowboy8

Reaction score
If we draft a #2 back up TE in the first 4 rounds I would be mad. We need a OG, DE, safety, CB, and Center, and #3 WR before we need a #2 TE. This offense was good enough with just Witten. Marty B didn't do anything great for us to think we can't be any worse with Phillips.

VThokie7

Reaction score
SDogo;4511706 said:
I have been saying quietly for a while, if Jerry gets in the trader mode we have scene before and Dallas finds themselves in the bottom 10 of Round 1 the odds are your going to see either Doug Martin or Coby Fleener called.

I hope not, not that I wouldn't love to add both players, but there are other positions I'd go after first. I wouldn't bat an eyelash at either position in the 2nd though. Does Doug Martin really have a shot to go that high? The only other back i've seen sneak into the very end of the first in most mocks is David Wilson.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
SDogo;4511706 said:

Stephen Jones just sounds scared to death about us not having a backup TE.

He is OCD'ing about it. He pretty much said on the ticket that we couldn't field a team right now without one.

I like Fleener. 6'6, 4.5 40, with 37 inch vert, but come on now. Thats the last direction we should go in round 1.

( I botched the thread title. No caffeine yet. )

VThokie7;4511715 said:
I hope not, not that I wouldn't love to add both players, but there are other positions I'd go after first. I wouldn't bat an eyelash at either position in the 2nd though. Does Doug Martin really have a shot to go that high? The only other back i've seen sneak into the very end of the first in most mocks is David Wilson.

I've been a big Doug Martin fan the last 2 seasons. I kinda hype up Boise State to my friends and Doug Martin is always the guy I talk about.

He's a very solid all around guy.

With that said I don't think the Cowboys should even think about him until round 3. There will be another Doug Martin next year.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Well in that case, here's to hoping we've learned from the stupidity of drafting Fasano and Bennett early in the draft while in search of a "backup TE".

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I'm becoming wary of Stephen Jones as an evaluator of talent and the needs of this team.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
CATCH17;4511718 said:
Stephen Jones just sounds scared to death about us not having a backup TE.

He is OCD'ing about it. He pretty much said on the ticket that we couldn't field a team right now without one.
How weird. What's wrong with John Phillips? :confused:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TheCount;4511720 said:
Well in that case, here's to hoping we've learned from the stupidity of drafting Fasano and Bennett early in the draft while in search of a "backup TE".

This.

I'm tired of this repeated failure - and that's just what it is, a failure - to impliment this two TE offense that's supposed to be the next big thing.

I've heard about it for about 6 years now and the fact is that the Cwoboys can't get it done.

New England can - and has - the Cowboys can't. Accept it.

And I'm tired of throwing resources down the well when the team has much bigger needs to fill.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
VThokie7;4511715 said:

He is getting some buzz late 1 early 2, I do believe Mayock also had him as a possible late 1 guy earlier this week.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
It's pretty clear from their pursuit of Kellen Davis that they feel backup TE is a need. I'm not sure that their prototype is available in this draft, but I think Allen in the second round or Charles in the third round is a strong possibility.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
stasheroo;4511732 said:
This.

I'm tired of this repeated failure - and that's just what it is, a failure - to impliment this two TE offense that's supposed to be the next big thing.

I've heard about it for about 6 years now and the fact is that the Cwoboys can't get it done.

And I'm tired of throwing resources down the well when the team has much bigger needs to fill.

I get what you're saying but im all for Fleener in round 2.

He is a Gronkowski clone and I would definetely give up a 2nd for Gronk spikes in Dallas.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CATCH17;4511736 said:

He is a Gronkowski clone and I would definetely give up a 2nd for Gronk spikes in Dallas.

I don't dislike the player and I know he'd be a nice addition, but I just think the team has much bigger needs, especially with how little production they've gotten out of that #2 TE when they have drafted them.

Again, on my own list, plenty of other needs come up before #2 TE does.

CowboysLaw87

Reaction score
SDogo;4511706 said:

I can certainly understand the Fleener pick, but Doug Martin? I literally can't find a single reason to justify this. I understand Felix is in the last year of his deal but with DeMarco on board and the strong presumption that RB's are kind of a dime a dozen and their success is highly dependent on the blocking in front of them... if it were Trent, I'm OK with it. I'd be baffled if we chose Martin.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
theogt;4511729 said:
I'm becoming wary of Stephen Jones as an evaluator of talent and the needs of this team.

Shocking.

A guy who has never scouted or worked in personnel before getting a job from his Dad might not be a good evaluator of talent.

But, hey, he played college football so he is qualified. :confused:

rkell87

Reaction score
CATCH17;4511736 said:

I don't think he is a gronk clone at all, fleener is about 20 pounds shy of gronk, and 2/10ths of a second faster, and also carries a few durability concerns, which is in line with him being a little light for TE.

I think he is a faster jermichael finley(a lot faster) and that is a good player to have too

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
stasheroo;4511732 said:
This.

New England has...but it was only recently with Gronk and Hernandez...prior to that they were drafting TEs like wild fire over the years. So I guess it is the idea that sooner or later they get it right which seems to be what the cowboys are trying to do...sooner or later get it right. But let's not act like New England is getting it right all the time concerning drafting TEs for the two te set when in truth they just got it right after many tries.

From 2000 to last year they have draft 10 TES. They have drafted two TEs in the same draft at least twice. Have spent 4 picks in the first 3 rounds for TEs and until the Gronk/Hernandez draft they have pretty much missed on the TEs they have drafted. The only other known names from those 10 TEs they have drafted is Ben Watson and Daniel Graham and they both have a combined total of 496 Recs for 5765 yards and 50 TDS....while Gronk/Hernandez already have a combined total of 256 rec for 3346 yards and 40 TDs.

Not exactly a model of drafting genius with Two TE sets until they finally did it with Gronk and Hernandez recently.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
So we signed the premiere FB on the free agent market. Now we're looking at backup TEs and part time RBs in the end of Round 1. How many snaps a game are these guys going to see? 20? Has the NFL made a rule change that I'm not aware of that says offenses can now lineup with 12 men on the field?

It's becoming readily apparent that under Jason Garrett's Cowboys the defense will always be a complete afterthought. Backups and role players for offense gets priority over starting positions for defense. The important thing is that Jason has to maintain his "young offensive genius" reputation he's crafted. Then the next time the team doesn't make it to the playoffs because they lose 37-34 in an NFC East clincing title game the defensive coordinator can take the fall for fielding the bad unit.