I've listened to Stephen Jones talk twice

Mash

Reaction score
But Ive heard Phillips was such a better TE then Bennett :rolleyes:

I really hope we dont pick Fleener in the 2nd round....especially if we go defense with our first pick....I like to see if we could get a solid OL prospect.

I thought for sure with the FB we signed ....that we wouldnt see as much of 2 TE formations.

I would of just given 2.5 mil to Bennett for one year like the Giants did instead of wasting another 2nd round pick on a TE

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;4511768 said:
Yes.

Should have kept Bennett.

Yeah but he didn't want to be here. Cowboys matched New Yorks offer.

I wouldn't know whether to laugh or cry if the Giants get Fleener.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
I had us taking Dwayne Allen in round 2 of my mock a few weeks back. Won't surprise me at all if we go TE early.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
The only tight end I would take in round 2 is Coby Fleener.

If we select anyone else (Dwayne Allen, Orson Charles) I will be extremely disappointed.

This team needs to get stronger in the trenches. Round 2 should be OL or DL.

reddyuta

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4511767 said:
So we signed the premiere FB on the free agent market. Now we're looking at backup TEs and part time RBs in the end of Round 1. How many snaps a game are these guys going to see? 20? Has the NFL made a rule change that I'm not aware of that says offenses can now lineup with 12 men on the field?

It's becoming readily apparent that under Jason Garrett's Cowboys the defense will always be a complete afterthought. Backups and role players for offense gets priority over starting positions for defense. The important thing is that Jason has to maintain his "young offensive genius" reputation he's crafted. Then the next time the team doesn't make it to the playoffs because they lose 37-34 in an NFC East clincing title game the defensive coordinator can take the fall for fielding the bad unit.

Exactly.a simple cost benefit analysis should tell them its not worth drafting a backup TE(to.Witten!) Is not worth it in the 2nd rd when we have.so many holes to fill.this looks like its coming from garrett.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BrAinPaiNt;4511766 said:
New England has...but it was only recently with Gronk and Hernandez...prior to that they were drafting TEs like wild fire over the years. So I guess it is the idea that sooner or later they get it right which seems to be what the cowboys are trying to do...sooner or later get it right. But let's not act like New England is getting it right all the time concerning drafting TEs for the two te set when in truth they just got it right after many tries.

From 2000 to last year they have draft 10 TES. They have drafted two TEs in the same draft at least twice. Have spent 4 picks in the first 3 rounds for TEs and until the Gronk/Hernandez draft they have pretty much missed on the TEs they have drafted. The only other known names from those 10 TEs they have drafted is Ben Watson and Daniel Graham and they both have a combined total of 496 Recs for 5765 yards and 50 TDS....while Gronk/Hernandez already have a combined total of 256 rec for 3346 yards and 40 TDs.

Not exactly a model of drafting genius with Two TE sets until they finally did it with Gronk and Hernandez recently.

Very true, excellent points. And great job with that research!

:bow:

But, I would say that New England has done it without short-changing themselves at other positions as they have maintained a high level of success during that time.

I would not consider the current Cowboys as having that luxury.

rags747

Reaction score
No issues with a trade down into the early 20's and grabbing Fleener. Day 1 starter opp Witt and opens up the whole middle of the field. Offense becomes more prolific immediately. Def rnd 2 and 3 and we can come out of this draft with a minimum 2 starters and possibly 3.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Stephen Jones is a football savvy guy.

He won't be on the radio discussing possible targets for round 1.

We may well reach for a TE in round 4 or 5 but it won't be our top pick I promise you. They could have kept Bennett or overpaid for Kellen Davis had they chose to.
That speak more to what they truly feel about back up TE then Stephen's pre-draft banter.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4511767 said:
So we signed the premiere FB on the free agent market. Now we're looking at backup TEs and part time RBs in the end of Round 1. How many snaps a game are these guys going to see? 20? Has the NFL made a rule change that I'm not aware of that says offenses can now lineup with 12 men on the field?

It's becoming readily apparent that under Jason Garrett's Cowboys the defense will always be a complete afterthought. Backups and role players for offense gets priority over starting positions for defense. The important thing is that Jason has to maintain his "young offensive genius" reputation he's crafted. Then the next time the team doesn't make it to the playoffs because they lose 37-34 in an NFC East clincing title game the defensive coordinator can take the fall for fielding the bad unit.

People that take seriously any TE talk are winding themselves up. Dallas isn't drafting TE/RB early.

Those are smokescreens.

Dallas would certainly consider TE/RB at 45. But no earlier. Do you really believe Jerry allows them to draft anyone who can't sell the new Nike jersey??

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
I like some of the guys later in this draft. I don't really understand them putting a high value on Marty B and then turning around and drafting more of a receiving threat tight end. I don't think we see a TE drafted tell the 3rd or later.

Mash

Reaction score
Stephen and Jerry dont evaluate talent.....

The listen to people around them....people who get paid to do that stuff.

I think alot of the stuff they spew on radio is just jibberish....

TheSport78

Reaction score
Mash;4511863 said:
Stephen and Jerry dont evaluate talent.....

The listen to people around them....people who get paid to do that stuff.

I think alot of the stuff they spew on radio is just jibberish....

Then can you explain Quincy Carter, Felix Jones, Jason Williams, Robert Brewster, etc.? lol

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
TheSport78;4511864 said:
Then can you explain Quincy Carter, Felix Jones, Jason Williams, Robert Brewster, etc.? lol

Pre JG... Lets see what the draft style will be now.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
stasheroo;4511804 said:
Very true, excellent points. And great job with that research!

:bow:

But, I would say that New England has done it without short-changing themselves at other positions as they have maintained a high level of success during that time.

I would not consider the current Cowboys as having that luxury.

They have maintained a high level of success on the offense...their defense last year was not exactly stellar.

It seems they decide to draft on the idea of BPA or the idea that they want to keep the offense up and choose to concentrate more on that side of the ball.

That last draft is really crazy considering they had so many needs on defense yet they only drafted a total of three players on defense and instead decided to draft 2 RBs, A QB and yet ANOTHER TE even though they had Gronk at Hernandez.

So...Maybe, just maybe if we get fleener in the second, it might be because they think he is the BPA and they also want to further strengthen the offense.
Now There are other areas I would rather address myself so we are in the same boat here, but there is also other things to consider and just because it might not be what we want does not automatically make it silly...although sometimes it is silly.:D

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
TheSport78;4511864 said:

No comprendo... Are you saying the scouts and coaches couldn't have made those evaluations because they were bad? (Now Quincy was a JJ pick, we know that.)

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
A TE in a very weak TE class. Our Front Office repeatedly/constantly leaves a lot to be desired to say the least.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4511868 said:
They have maintained a high level of success on the offense...their defense last year was not exactly stellar.

It seems they decide to draft on the idea of BPA or the idea that they want to keep the offense up and choose to concentrate more on that side of the ball.

That last draft is really crazy considering they had so many needs on defense yet they only drafted a total of three players on defense and instead decided to draft 2 RBs, A QB and yet ANOTHER TE even though they had Gronk at Hernandez.

So...Maybe, just maybe if we get fleener in the second, it might be because they think he is the BPA and they also want to further strengthen the offense.
Now There are other areas I would rather address myself so we are in the same boat here, but there is also other things to consider and just because it might not be what we want does not automatically make it silly...although sometimes it is silly.:D

When you have a HOF QB you can get away with sucking mostly everywhere else. Ask the Colts.

cowboysooner

Reaction score
CATCH17;4511703 said:
and both times he mentioned backup Tight End.

Then I see Bill Jones mock and he has us trading down and taking Fleener in the 1st round.

Now I could see us going Fleener in round 2 if he somehow was at our pick but I can't see us going TE until Round 3 at the earliest.

Anyone worried we may go TE in the 2nd round and it won't be Fleener?

If you told me I had 2 picks after #10 to make my offense better in the near and long term, Fleener would be one of the picks. You would get more dynamic plays and edge pass protection in a division of edge rushers from being in a base 2 tight end set than most other things you could do offensively.

I would certainly pick Fleener (plus an additional 2nd) and one of the second round guard/centers over 2 more interior linemen.

I'd rather go defense, but I get why we would want to add Fleener a 6-6 guy who can run a 4.5 and knows how to find holes in zones is pretty valuable.

TheSport78

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4511870 said:
No comprendo... Are you saying the scouts and coaches couldn't have made those evaluations because they were bad? (Now Quincy was a JJ pick, we know that.)

Jerry chose Felix when there were higher RB's on the board. Strictly a Garrett/Jerry pick.

Jason Williams was a Wade Philips pick and Jerry listened to him. Jerry's fault. Wade isn't a scout.

Brewster? Who knows, but can our scouts really be that horrific with scouting offensive linemen? I hope not!