Image: J. Lewis Takeaways & Number of Starts Compared To Our Other CBs

Mr_437

Reaction score
Mixed up?

Lewis didn't cover the slot WR which forced Heath to stay over the top of the slot WR.

It is easy to see on the All-22 view that Heath wants to turn an run in the direction of Robbie Anderson about 5 yards earlier than he ends up doing it because just as he was going to transition he saw that nobody was covering the slot WR.

Regardless of whether Lewis was in man or zone, the slot WR was released way to early with only Heath to cover him.

Heath had to wait until the QB was obviously throwing to Anderson before he could turn and run in that direction.

Considering that Heath was only about 1 step from getting to Anderson at the point the ball arrive, transitioning 5 yards earlier would have put Heath right there with Anderson and would have given him an opportunity for an INT.
So what was #24 supposed to be doing?

Sydla

Reaction score
He forced the RB back inside to his help... what's the problem.

Do you not like the player? Your stance seems a bit extra.

He likes certain players like Brown and Heath and spends much of his time ignoring their screw ups in order to point out mistakes of other to prop up his favorite players.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
Byron Jones. Just sad. I would be hesitant to pay Jones top qb money because he doesn't really make the qb pay. QB's can go at him because the worst thing that would happen is he will bat the ball down. Even a ball u knew he could of just intercepted he rather bat it down. He is a good corner but not a playmaker. JLew might be the only playmaker we have a corner.

Sydla

Reaction score
Byron Jones. Just sad. I would be hesitant to pay Jones top qb money because he doesn't really make the qb pay. QB's can go at him because the worst thing that would happen is he will bat the ball down. Even a ball u knew he could of just intercepted he rather bat it down. He is a good corner but not a playmaker. JLew might be the only playmaker we have a corner.

And yet, QBs don't throw his way all that often. I think last I saw he was like 60th amongst CBs in terms of passes faced.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Sure, but half of those are fumble recoveries. It is Apples and Oranges. Fumble recoveries are right place, right time. He did nothing to cause the turnover.

The better stat would be Int plus Forced Fumbles.

There you get this:

Lewis - 3
Awuzie - 5
Jones - 5
Brown - 7
Woods - 8
Heath - 13

Any interpretation should equal Lewis being on the field but I do agree that this is a fairer analysis.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
He forced the RB back inside to his help... what's the problem.

Do you not like the player? Your stance seems a bit extra.
There is some OCD thing where you are a HOF (like Parnell), or worthless (lewis)

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Even with that adjustment it’s still remarkable how close he is given number of starts.

I wouldn’t be quick to discount fumble recoveries. It’s easy to say “right place right time” but the fact is certain players just always seem to be in the right place. They always seem to be around a loose ball. Lewis is one of those guys.
Yep, it's called hustle.
There's a player (OLB) on my son's college team who is a big hustler, always around the ball, has a chance to go pro if he stays out of trouble.:rolleyes: My son (who plays DB) strips the ball from the other team's running back and it pops up into the air. Guess who's there to pick off the fumble in the air and return it for a touchdown? The linebacker who is always around the ball. My son says he ALWAYS hustles even when the play is away from his side of the ball. That's why he was in the right place at the right time.
Being around the ball could be an indication of hustle.
I see a lot of guys who, after they've done their job, they turn their backs on the play or do nothing else if they're away from the play.
I don't take it lightly that Jourdan Lewis is always around the ball to collect fumble recoveries.
And when I coached football, albeit community ball, we taught guys how to recover fumbles. Some guys do it well; others are awful at it.