Image: J. Lewis Takeaways & Number of Starts Compared To Our Other CBs

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Sure, but half of those are fumble recoveries. It is Apples and Oranges. Fumble recoveries are right place, right time. He did nothing to cause the turnover.

The better stat would be Int plus Forced Fumbles.

There you get this:

Lewis - 3
Awuzie - 5
Jones - 5
Brown - 7
Woods - 8
Heath - 13

This doesn't fit their narrative.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Gulp! If Richard still thinks he needs a certain height and arm length to play in his system, then he needs to go! #freeJLew #ballgod
That Ricard "requirement" is board fodder......

robbieruff

Reaction score
Sure, but half of those are fumble recoveries. It is Apples and Oranges. Fumble recoveries are right place, right time. He did nothing to cause the turnover.

The better stat would be Int plus Forced Fumbles.

There you get this:

Lewis - 3
Awuzie - 5
Jones - 5
Brown - 7
Woods - 8
Heath - 13
Go back to the 2016 game against the Steelers (in Pittsburg) and look at Byron’s attempt at a fumble recovery in that game (it was a gift charity hop that went right into his hands). Fumble recovery is in and of itself a skill that is taught in practice drills...and most of our DBs suck at it (with the example above being exhibit A)...except for Lewis.

But your point above is well taken.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Go back to the 2016 game against the Steelers (in Pittsburg) and look at Byron’s attempt at a fumble recovery in that game (it was a gift charity hop that went right into his hands). Fumble recovery is in and of itself a skill that is taught in practice drills...and most of our DBs suck at it (with the example above being exhibit A)...except for Lewis.

But your point above is well taken.
He also forgets that you are also taught to run toward the ball carrier/pile even if you aren't going to make a tackle just because the ball might pop out. He's always hustling until the end of the play trying to be in the play. Hence why he was the only person there after 4 ppl failed to recover the fumble against the giants.

Sydla

Reaction score
I don't understand the heavy criticism Jones gets from some. Yeah, he's not exactly a ball hawk in terms of grabbing a lot of interceptions but he often can take a side of the field out of play for QBs. There's value in that.

Now how much do I want to pay for that? I have no idea. Jones is going to be an interesting FA watch this offseason.

Personally, I'd go Jones and Lewis as the outside CBs right now, slide Awuzie inside. Brown is the 4th CB.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I don't understand the heavy criticism Jones gets from some. Yeah, he's not exactly a ball hawk in terms of grabbing a lot of interceptions but he often can take a side of the field out of play for QBs. There's value in that.

Now how much do I want to pay for that? I have no idea. Jones is going to be an interesting FA watch this offseason.

Personally, I'd go Jones and Lewis as the outside CBs right now, slide Awuzie inside. Brown is the 4th CB.
Jones is an athlete not a football player. There's a difference. Once the athleticism goes away he's gonna have a big drop off. Just like dez

Sydla

Reaction score
Jones is an athlete not a football player. There's a difference. Once the athleticism goes away he's gonna have a big drop off. Just like dez

And maybe that's the case but right now he's our best CB and often can take a WR out of the game. Now if we want to discuss paying him $13-15MM a year this offseason as he might get in FA, then I can get behind the idea of letting him walk.

But for now, I simply don't get the really harsh criticisms of Jones. He has his flaws but he's a pretty good CB.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lewis was also the guy with the breakdown in the Jets game that allowed the long score, which basically lost the game for us.

You have to look at the whole package, Lewis clearly has the best ball skils among our CBs but that is only part of the picture.
Which one are you talking about. The long one that Anderson beat Awuzie and Health on?
Is this confirmed or are you assuming?
Bro, this about CBs and The Ball God...don't care about the Ss right now. Let Jourdan have his shine! He scored a defensive TD...let me repeat.. a defensive TD, but you trying to discredit what he does for the team?

#27 making plays like always, just took over a year for the DB Coach to figure out he should play Lewis.

Shame on y'all for getting #24 and #27 mixed up on that deep TD for Robbie Anderson.

Mixed up?

Lewis didn't cover the slot WR which forced Heath to stay over the top of the slot WR.

It is easy to see on the All-22 view that Heath wants to turn an run in the direction of Robbie Anderson about 5 yards earlier than he ends up doing it because just as he was going to transition he saw that nobody was covering the slot WR.

Regardless of whether Lewis was in man or zone, the slot WR was released way to early with only Heath to cover him.

Heath had to wait until the QB was obviously throwing to Anderson before he could turn and run in that direction.

Considering that Heath was only about 1 step from getting to Anderson at the point the ball arrive, transitioning 5 yards earlier would have put Heath right there with Anderson and would have given him an opportunity for an INT.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Mixed up?

Lewis didn't cover the slot WR which forced Heath to stay over the top of the slot WR.

It is easy to see on the All-22 view that Heath wants to turn an run in the direction of Robbie Anderson about 5 yards earlier than he ends up doing it because just as he was going to transition he saw that nobody was covering the slot WR.

Regardless of whether Lewis was in man or zone, the slot WR was released way to early with only Heath to cover him.

Heath had to wait until the QB was obviously throwing to Anderson before he could turn and run in that direction.

Considering that Heath was only about 1 step from getting to Anderson at the point the ball arrive, transitioning 5 yards earlier would have put Heath right there with Anderson and would have given him an opportunity for an INT.

Odd because I see LVE right beside him (the slot) as the ball is in the air.

I think you are a bit confused!