Jags after Bentley as well

AbeBeta

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Someone keeps mentioning Johnson and a knee injury- I thought the only one he had was the first one his rookie year- did he have another?

yes - he got hurt in the Thanksgiving game -- I believe his knee locked up on him in the pregame -- he played but after the game he had his knee scoped. If you recall, he played the next week but was replaced by Gurode about halfway through -- he seemed to be a little weak from the surgery -- however, I think he earned major points with the staff for coming back so quickly.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Originally Posted by burmafrd
Someone keeps mentioning Johnson and a knee injury- I thought the only one he had was the first one his rookie year- did he have another?

yes - he got hurt in the Thanksgiving game -- I believe his knee locked up on him in the pregame -- he played but after the game he had his knee scoped. If you recall, he played the next week but was replaced by Gurode about halfway through -- he seemed to be a little weak from the surgery -- however, I think he earned major points with the staff for coming back so quickly.

I think he hurt his knee in college too. Either that or high school. I remember when he had his knee injury they said he had a pre-existing condition that needed to be corrected. Pretty sure it was from college.

Nothing major though.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Point is that he was getting zapped BEFORE the Thanksgiving game. He was getting pushed back in both running and passing plays.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
burmafrd said:
Point is that he was getting zapped BEFORE the Thanksgiving game. He was getting pushed back in both running and passing plays.

You make it sound like on every single play Johnson was in the backfield which wasn't the case at all.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
calcbfan1 said:
Seems to me that last year about this time, many posters were saying the Al Johnson would/could be a pro bowl player in 2005.

Now he's a total scrub? I don't see it.
Last year (prior to training camp) I offered a bet to those who thought Al Johnson was a lock at center. I bet them that Gurode would play 40-45% of the offensive snaps at center during the 2005 season. I would have lost the bet.

I thought Gurode would definately challenge Johnson. He did and exposed Johnson's liabilities (unable to hold the point of attack from mammoth Dlinemen) while also magnifying his own (knowledge of Sean Payton's blocking scheme).

I think Johnson and Gurode will be retained. If Kevin Mawae is released he'll be a Cowboy shortly. He'll serve as a veteran mentor ala Rivera. In my opinion I think it will signal that the team still believes both Johnson and Gurode have value and some upside. Johnson can serve as the primary back-up center and Gurdoe will be a swing G/C. I think that serves as quality depth, pushing guys like Peterman without experience further down the depth chart.

If we go after LeCharles Bentley (best move IMHO.....based on Bentley's resume we will have nailed down the center spot for the next 8-10 seasons). If that happens I think Al Johnson is gone. Gurode is more versatile.

Speaking of Rivera. I am surprised at the lack of confidence from some posters. I think he comes back with a vengence. I predict a Pro Bowl season from Rivera. My sources;) (same guy who told me the Bradie James and Gurode blurb last year) tells me Rivera is acting like a player with a chip on his shoulder. I think his back injury seriously reduced his mobility and aggressiveness.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
I hope the whole team comes back with a vengence this year! I'm sure they did not like getting swept by the Commanders!

Does anyone think that Larry Allen, from the pictures I saw from the ProBowl, look like he has lost some of his gut? He looks somewhat slimmer and trimmer it seems!

neosapien23

Reaction score
Charles said:
Speaking of Rivera. I am surprised at the lack of confidence from some posters. I think he comes back with a vengence. I predict a Pro Bowl season from Rivera. My sources;) (same guy who told me the Bradie James and Gurode blurb last year) tells me Rivera is acting like a player with a chip on his shoulder. I think his back injury seriously reduced his mobility and aggressiveness.

Until Rivera proves otherwise, he is not the same player. Thirty year old lineman with back injuries are never usually the same. Remember Kyle Turley?

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
Until Rivera proves otherwise, he is not the same player. Thirty year old lineman with back injuries are never usually the same. Remember Kyle Turley?
I hope does, I've just scored my 1st ProBowl tickets...Hawaii;)

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
5Stars said:
I hope the whole team comes back with a vengence this year! I'm sure they did not like getting swept by the Commanders!

Does anyone think that Larry Allen, from the pictures I saw from the ProBowl, look like he has lost some of his gut? He looks somewhat slimmer and trimmer it seems!
Larry Allen looked great.

Wanna bet Jerry Jones asked him to cozy up to Bentley.......

Larry Allen has got juice amongst players. Even in down years he still gets voted into the ProBowl by his peers. Dlinemen never forget going against him.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Charles said:
Larry Allen looked great.

Wanna bet Jerry Jones asked him to cozy up to Bentley.......

Larry Allen has got juice amongst players. Even in down years he still gets voted into the ProBowl by his peers. Dlinemen never forget going against him.

I hope so! We need all the help we can get on that Oline! :eek:

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
abersonc said:
stop counting '03 -- because bill isn't

I'm not counting anything, just saying that BIll typically gives rookies 3 years to prove themselves, and Al hasn't reached those 3 years yet, basically you're agreeing with me

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Charles said:
I thought Gurode would definately challenge Johnson. He did and exposed Johnson's liabilities (unable to hold the point of attack from mammoth Dlinemen) while also magnifying his own (knowledge of Sean Payton's blocking scheme).

Gurode challenged Johnson in the offseason, but definitely not during the season, there was supposed to be a bigger rotation going between the 2 heading into the season, that didn't transpire, and that being because Gurode was still making too many mental mistakes

he's gone, but because he wants to test the market

AbeBeta

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
Gurode challenged Johnson in the offseason, but definitely not during the season, there was supposed to be a bigger rotation going between the 2 heading into the season, that didn't transpire, and that being because Gurode was still making too many mental mistakes

he's gone, but because he wants to test the market

I wouldn't be surprised if we re-signed Gurode. Only because he "knows" the system.

Gurode is going to test the market -- but he won't find any big money offers out there. I can see him doing what Michael Myers did a few years back. And if he's going to take a minimum contract then it is in his best interest to stay where he "knows" the system.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
abersonc said:
I wouldn't be surprised if we re-signed Gurode. Only because he "knows" the system.

Gurode is going to test the market -- but he won't find any big money offers out there. I can see him doing what Michael Myers did a few years back. And if he's going to take a minimum contract then it is in his best interest to stay where he "knows" the system.

I wouldn't be suprised to see us try and retain him, if just to keep him as the C/OG swingman, but I read someone mention that Gurode is somewhat thought of around the league, and his talent will certainly have a team looking at him, so idk

but I agree it would be best for his sake, if he came back, the mental part of the game isn't his strongsuit, as we all know, so having to learn a totally, different scheme may not be in his best interest

AbeBeta

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
I wouldn't be suprised to see us try and retain him, if just to keep him as the C/OG swingman, but I read someone mention that Gurode is somewhat thought of around the league, and his talent will certainly have a team looking at him, so idk

Yes, but teams also know he isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer as well. I suspected this for a while -- but Richie Anderson spoke at length about this in a pre-game interview during the season. Said something to the extent that Gurode doesn't understand things well enough to make any in-game adjustments and that he needs to be spoon fed every aspect of the O.

If you are going to take on that sort of project, it makes more sense to do it with a rookie.