James Webb Space Telescope Launch

SlammedZero

Reaction score
The James Webb Space Telescope launched this morning. It was a successful launch. It's a $10 billion dollar technologically advanced telescope that is more complex and advanced than the Hubble Telescope (about 100x more powerful).

It will orbit around the Earth about 1,000,000 miles away. The telescope is optimized to view the universe in infrared light (Hubble views mainly in visible and ultraviolet wavelengths). It has a sun shield, that NASA will have to precisely unfold while it's in orbit in space, that will block the telescope from the sun\heat. The unfolding process could take up to two weeks. That will make the telescope incredibly cold (at around minus 370 degrees Fahrenheit) and allow it to measure and "see" the faintest infrared light. Webb will study some of the universe's first stars and galaxies.

It will take about 30 days to reach it's destination. Hopefully it will unfold exactly as planned, as the sunshield must be in place for the telescope to properly function. Unlike the Hubble Telescope, James Webb will be too far out in it's orbit to send astronauts for any kind of maintenance.

Exciting and historic time for astronomy!

Last edited:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The James Webb Space Telescope launched this morning. It was a successful launch. It's a $10 billion dollar technologically advanced telescope that is more complex and advanced than the Hubble Telescope (about 100x more powerful).

It will orbit around the Earth about 1,000,000 miles away. The telescope is optimized to view the universe in infrared light (Hubble views mainly in visible and ultraviolet wavelengths). It has a sun shield, that NASA will have to precisely unfold while it's in orbit in space, that will block the telescope from the sun\heat. The unfolding process could take up to two weeks. That will make the telescope incredibly cold (at around minus 370 degrees Fahrenheit) and allow it to measure and "see" the faintest infrared light. Webb will study some of the universe's first stars and galaxies.

It will take about 30 days to reach it's destination. Hopefully it will unfold exactly as planned, as the sunshield must be in place for the telescope to properly function. Unlike the Hubble Telescope, James Webb will be too far out in it's orbit to send astronauts for any kind of maintenance.

Exciting and historic time for astronomy!

It won't be orbiting Earth. It'll be sitting in the 2nd LaGrange point (L2), which is the area between the Earth and the sun in which there's an eual pull of gravity. So it will be orbiting around the sun with us, and the two gravitational forces will keep it in orbit without needing to use any type of thrusters or guidance system.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I can't wait to see images from it.
Not sure what kind of images we'll see. It's only using infrared, I believe. I don't think we'll see actual photos, like Hubble sends us. I could be wrong, but that's the impression I get.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
It won't be orbiting Earth. It'll be sitting in the 2nd LaGrange point (L2), which is the area between the Earth and the sun in which there's an eual pull of gravity. So it will be orbiting around the sun with us, and the two gravitational forces will keep it in orbit without needing to use any type of thrusters or guidance system.
Yes, good catch. That's what I was meaning to type but got ahead of myself. lol All good. :thumbup:

Looks I need to become a Legion of Fans member so I can edit. ;)

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Not sure what kind of images we'll see. It's only using infrared, I believe. I don't think we'll see actual photos, like Hubble sends us. I could be wrong, but that's the impression I get.

I’m sure it will be able to put together some sort of visual imagery. The light from within 100-500 million years of the Big Bang has been so stretched over time that they are now only perceptible as infrared wavelengths.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I’m sure it will be able to put together some sort of visual imagery. The light from within 100-500 million years of the Big Bang has been so stretched over time that they are now only perceptible as infrared wavelengths.
Right, but we're not going to see photos, unless they develop a technology that translates all the infrared into the visible spectrum.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Right, but we're not going to see photos, unless they develop a technology that translates all the infrared into the visible spectrum.

I don't know the difference and you might, but I believe we get pictures from the lucifer telescope in arizona, but maybe not. It is near infrared. I don't know the difference visually from near infrared and infrared, but I don't believe either are in our visible spectrum. It has multiple lenses, it might be a combination

It is hard to track down images on that camera. But I found this quote LUCIFER will show its full capability by delivering images with a quality that are otherwise only obtained from space-based observatories." So, they get something from it

I am sure it will be like most pictures we get from telescopes, that they assign colors to the frequencies and create the pictures. Or however they make the artist renditions. And the Hubble pictures are not actual pictures like we get with cameras. Hopefully it is possible to get some images that are on par with the hubble images

Last edited:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
James Webb Space telescope’s ‘golden eye’ opens, last major hurdle

https://apnews.com/article/space-la...outh-america-2bed9ec4c6bc04d462c38084bd009ce3
I'm curious just what type of images we're going to see. I don't think it takes any visible light photos, but I hope I'm mistaken. I'm under the impression anything we see will be "translated" from the infrared scope. Still, the information promises to change (whether by enhancing or contradicting) what they think they know about the universe.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Infrared cameras? The images will suck. But at least we'll know the temperatures associated with the images.

triplets_93

Reaction score
Infrared cameras? The images will suck. But at least we'll know the temperatures associated with the images.

Remembering what Hubble can bring:

51818855930_fe3502569b_o.png

51818144751_927d4e5e7b_o.png

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

I wasn't expecting actual photos like this, and I certainly did think exoplanets would be among the first! Awesome stuff!

I don’t think these images are real. From my understanding the JWST just recently was aligned and the first series of images aren’t expected until the middle of the year. Also, some of the perspectives don’t even look real such as the ones right up to the exoplanets in the foreground. The telescope would have to be orbiting the planet for that kind of shot like this one, lol.

13-D5-EB2-F-20-C0-4884-AA7-D-133-C64830087.png

(excerpt from 4/22 article)

“With its 6.5-metre primary mirror and its tennis-court-sized sunshield, Webb had to be folded up to fit in the rocket’s fairing, only to be deployed step by step in the first two weeks of its mission.

Now, we're all eagerly awaiting the first proper images of space captured by the James Webb Space Telescope, which should be captured around June or early July 2022.”

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I don’t think these images are real. From my understanding the JWST just recently was aligned and the first series of images aren’t expected until the middle of the year. Also, some of the perspectives don’t even look real such as the ones right up to the exoplanets in the foreground. The telescope would have to be orbiting the planet for that kind of shot like this one, lol.

13-D5-EB2-F-20-C0-4884-AA7-D-133-C64830087.png

(excerpt from 4/22 article)

“With its 6.5-metre primary mirror and its tennis-court-sized sunshield, Webb had to be folded up to fit in the rocket’s fairing, only to be deployed step by step in the first two weeks of its mission.

Now, we're all eagerly awaiting the first proper images of space captured by the James Webb Space Telescope, which should be captured around June or early July 2022.”
I was surprised at how soon the pictures came out too, because I thought I remembered them saying it would be several months down the road. I don't know why someone would put up a fake video like this. Maybe @Reality would prefer to delete it?