Jane Slater re: Earl Thomas

cowboys1985

Reaction score
If true, I guess that means Dallas has increased their range from $8-9M to $10-11M guaranteed for 2Yrs. I wonder if an offer that included $10-11M guaranteed for 2 years with "fake money" at the end and perhaps some perfomance/work out bonuses so ET can save face would be reasonable on both sides?

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
If true, I guess that means Dallas has increased their range from $8-9M to $10-11M guaranteed for 2Yrs. I wonder if an offer that included $10-11M guaranteed for 2 years with "fake money" at the end and perhaps some perfomance/work out bonuses so ET can save face would be reasonable on both sides?

At this point there's no reason not to get a deal done with Earl. He's just sitting out there and all the teams that needed safety help (except the 49ers and Cowboys) have made their move.

There's so many ridiculously easy ways to fit in Thomas on a short term deal here you have to wonder if the Cowboys are deliberately being cheap or really are this stupid. Thomas is the alpha dog this secondary needs, and after the initial wave of crazy FA dollars he's still available!

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Meet Earl half the way at 11 mil. The truth is Earl is not worth 14 mil a year. 30 years old and coming off of an injury.
That's for sure. We don't need a financial albatross around our necks if he comes up lame.

Gaede

Reaction score
Understand and I have no problems with Bell trying to maximize his earnings in a violent sport. My only issue, not with you or your post, is when players use the "long term security" argument. I envision a guy like Bell decked out in expensive clothes, living in a mansion, driving a european sports car trying to get sympathy from a bunch of people living paycheck to paycheck using the "long term security" argument. It just rubs me the wrong way.

What's funny is you just described every owner in the Nfl. Guys that dont have to worry about long-term security who are unwilling to provide that same privilege to the players who put their bodies on the line to make the owners stinking rich.

Your derision is just but should be aimed at the owners, not the players without whom there would be no entertainment for us to enjoy

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Is there a link that says an offer has even been made?....Not that I don't fully trust our FO...:rolleyes:

RamziD

Reaction score
Just do the 4/$52M like Graziano predicted. Give him $29M guaranteed to match his jersey number. Then go get Dak and Lawrence deals done.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Was watching NFLN and Jane Slater was reporting on the Cowboys and Earl Thomas. She noted the other recently signed deals (re: safeties) and mentioned Thomas is looking for something similar to Landon Collins (per year annually) but that the Cowboys are “looking for him to come down to the $8-9M range.”

This team is all in.

It's a long fall from Collins $16 million range to $8-9 mill for Earl. Anyone think that's ET? I don't because he sees himself as the best

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

"I want more than Eric Berry got."

Hmmm...how has that worked out for KC?

Not sure citing Eric Berry's contract is a smart move.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don't believe for a minute he only wants a 2 year deal.
Yeah that makes no sense. If that's what he wants Dallas should've jumped on that because I assume what was holding them up was that they didn't want to sign him long term. Sign him for 15 million a year if thats what he wants.

Flamma

Reaction score
Understand and I have no problems with Bell trying to maximize his earnings in a violent sport. My only issue, not with you or your post, is when players use the "long term security" argument. I envision a guy like Bell decked out in expensive clothes, living in a mansion, driving a european sports car trying to get sympathy from a bunch of people living paycheck to paycheck using the "long term security" argument. It just rubs me the wrong way.

There is a salary cap. There is also a twisted reality of what long term security actually means. God bless them for their talent. But none of it resides between the ears. That's an area of true vacancy.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Given the teams who agreed to terms with other safeties today, the Cowboys aren't the only ones not interested in ET at $14 million per season.

A 30 year old player, 9 year veteran, who has missed 19 games the last 3 seasons comes with risk. I'm not opposed to adding ET, but giving him the biggest contract of his life and expecting 16 games of All Pro production is more likely fantasy than reality.
Dont pay no mind to these posters in this thread. The same ones criticizing them for not signing him at 14mil would be the same ones crying about that price next yr.

risco

Reaction score
Was watching NFLN and Jane Slater was reporting on the Cowboys and Earl Thomas. She noted the other recently signed deals (re: safeties) and mentioned Thomas is looking for something similar to Landon Collins (per year annually) but that the Cowboys are “looking for him to come down to the $8-9M range.”

This team is all in.
They are managing the franchise as if we have won the past 4 or 5 Super Bowls... WTH to that!