Jane Slater re: Earl Thomas

AzorAhai

Reaction score
The Cowboys best period of talent acquisition since Jimmy departed has been the past few years.

The Cowboys in the past few years quit taking the 1 player away approach that resulted in trading for Joey Galloway, Roy WR Williams, tradung up for Claiborne and giving 50M to Brandon Carr, Bigg Davis, etc..

The Cowboys in the past few years have been conservative in free agency.
The same personnel that identified and targeted Cooper are the same ones that would be responsible for targeting FAs. They are the same ones who have been responsible for the talent acquisition over the last few years. If they are doing such a great job there, we are supposed to believe once you change the name to free agency, they all of a sudden suck at talent evaluation?

DcFootball4

Reaction score
The Cowboys best period of talent acquisition since Jimmy departed has been the past few years.

The Cowboys in the past few years quit taking the 1 player away approach that resulted in trading for Joey Galloway, Roy WR Williams, tradung up for Claiborne and giving 50M to Brandon Carr, Bigg Davis, etc..

The Cowboys in the past few years have been conservative in free agency.

You’re right on the money. Not that long ago we where in cap hell because of spending big. Even though it isn’t flashy, I enjoy what they are doing. I would love ET but I’m hoping for Tre Boston if ET goes elsewhere.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You’re right on the money. Not that long ago we where in cap hell because of spending big. Even though it isn’t flashy, I enjoy what they are doing. I would love ET but I’m hoping for Tre Boston if ET goes elsewhere.

I'm not a big fan of replacing Woods at FS with Tre Boston. It's only a small improvement at best.

I would prefer to use the money elsewhere.

Sydla

Reaction score
We haven’t won a title in recent memory, ergo... we should emulate another non winning team?

On the flip side, arguing that we are modeled after the Pats is downright chuckleworthy.

Sydla

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of replacing Woods at FS with Tre Boston. It's only a small improvement at best.

I would prefer to use the money elsewhere.

Boston could play SS and is better than Heath.

Boston would likely only cost you a few million at most.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Boston could play SS and is better than Heath.

Boston would likely only cost you a few million at most.

I've studied Boston's game footage.

His value is at FS and he is average at best there.

But yes, fans recognize his name...

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I guess the Pats are suckers too, they don't win much do they embracing the pay for what they perceive is true player value, only difference is one FO knows football the other doesn't.

Are you seriously comparing us to the Pats? I would be ok with that but guess who are coach is? If that alone doesn't speak volumes about our FO then I don't know what does.

Brax

Reaction score
We have to stop claiming we are similar to the Patriots in any way. Belichick does not have one single-minded, boxed-in strategy on talent acquisition. He adapts to the availability of talent. If he likes the draft, he acquires and uses extra picks. If he thinks the draft is weaker one year, he trades picks for veterans. He moves on from players before their contract demands exceed his perceived worth of that player. When it comes to high-priced free agents, and this is where so many Cowboy fans pretend to be blind and not see it, he'll go out and get them. When he signed Stephon Gilmore a few years back, he was the #1 CB on free agency, and he got top dollar from New England as well.
Not claiming NE and DC are similar in approach just this case of Vets wanting to be overpaid,
Are you seriously comparing us to the Pats? I would be ok with that but guess who are coach is? If that alone doesn't speak volumes about our FO then I don't know what does.
No , wasn't comparing, just pointing out that in this case it is similar to Pat's approach with a FA (don't over spend) . the only comparison I draw is that they are both FO's it stops there.

AzorAhai

Reaction score

giphy.gif

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Just add some incentives to the offer and see if that gets it done.