Japanese kickers and punters we should invite to camp

BaybeeJay

Reaction score
Sorry, but I think you and others being a bit sensitive here. The dude literally said "trying to find better talent" as in "leaving no stone unturned" to find better talent versus what we have and somehow people interpret it as him calling the Japanese some master race or something. Jeez. If this had been a spotlight on Canadian players (because they do have a league and all), I very much doubt people would take it the same way. I, for one, had never heard of this league so it was educational to me and at least one other. People are revealed through their emotional responses. That much is clear.

Trolls be sensitive, especially about anything that whiffs of identity.

One of my favorite threads of the year. Thanks for finding a new league for us. Doubt any of these guys will ever get a chance, but fun to fantasize about.

roughneck266

Reaction score
As far as the punters go, I really like Suzuki. He's got a versatile array of punting styles. If you notice in the video, he lists the different styles of punts he uses. That was where Mat McBriar used to be so dangerous as a punter. His punting styles were a bit like a golf bag. He'd use a different style for the situation. Suzuki does the exact same thing. He's got a great control punt. He's got a boomer of a punt. I really like him as a prospect for punting. Same of course goes for Yamasaki as far as kicking and punting. Either would be excellent choices to bring in. Or, we could have fun and bring both over from Japan to try out and see who we like better.
hat they'd do at AT&T Stadium.
I so miss how reliable McBriar was. He could make that ball just die when it hit the ground!

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
For a league like this (or any non-NFL league for that matter), kicking is probably THE most transferrable thing to the NFL. You mean to tell me that if there was a guy there that could regularly boom 60-yard FGs or a guy averaging 50+ yards per punt that you wouldn't bring him over for a look because "we signed a few guys?" If I think a guy is better than Greg the Leg, I'd tell Greg to hit the bricks and absorb any money loss associated with him because I made the team better.

Thank you!!! Now, I'm more looking at the punters, but you're exactly right! If one of these guys is better than Greg the Leg or Forbath, then we found the answer at kicker. And if one of them actually is a good NFL Punter, then guess what? We found a viable option at punter.

Blake

Reaction score
Sorry, but I think you and others being a bit sensitive here. The dude literally said "trying to find better talent" as in "leaving no stone unturned" to find better talent versus what we have and somehow people interpret it as him calling the Japanese some master race or something. Jeez. If this had been a spotlight on Canadian players (because they do have a league and all), I very much doubt people would take it the same way. I, for one, had never heard of this league so it was educational to me and at least one other. People are revealed through their emotional responses. That much is clear.

Actually, if the OP specifically mentioned that they are Canadian just for the sake of making an argument that they should be looked at; then yes, I would have the same raised eyebrow. When people mention prospects outside of the NFL, it's usually in reference to the league they play in - not their ethnicity. Nothing emotional about it, unless you choose to interpret it that way because perhaps, you're emotional?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I so miss how reliable McBriar was. He could make that ball just die when it hit the ground!

Same here. I loved watching McBriar punt. Suzuki and Yamasaki seem to have very similar abilities when I watch them. Look at the way Suzuki does the control punts. They are very well angled and just sort of either die when it hits the ground or goes out of bounds right where we would want it to go.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Actually, if the OP specifically mentioned that they are Canadian just for the sake of making an argument that they should be looked at; then yes, I would have the same raised eyebrow. When people mention prospects outside of the NFL, it's usually in reference to the league they play in - not their ethnicity.

I am talking about players from the Japanese X-League that happen to be Japanese. I'd also be curious to find players from the German League who happen to be German. I don't care where the players are from as long as they can help the Cowboys. I think the 3 I suggested can help the Cowboys win.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
In no way in my OP am I trying to say anything that could be deemed offensive. I didn't even have a clue that my title would be viewed as a question phrase. I strictly said it to mean players that I like from that league who happen to be Japanese that can help us win.

Blake

Reaction score
The only one's making this "offensive" are the those going on the defensive. I just thought the mentioning of them being Japanese was peculiar is all; never insinuated anything about it being an offense.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The only one's making this "offensive" are the those going on the defensive. I just thought the mentioning of them being Japanese was peculiar is all; never insinuated anything about it being an offense.

Very well then if that's the case. I do understand that the concept of finding players in the Japanese X-League is peculiar. However, why not see what they can do in a training camp try out? What's the worst that can happen? They have to go back to playing in Japan? If it works, I think we will find a new way to win.

TheBigEasy

Reaction score
The absolute best part of these videos is listening to those announcers. Completely made my morning. Haven't laughed that hard in a while so thanks OP! I'll go back now and rewatch for evaluation purposes but with the volume muted. Hard to evaluate with tears rolling down your face. :lmao:

Absolutely FANTASTIC!

Blake

Reaction score
Very well then if that's the case. I do understand that the concept of finding players in the Japanese X-League is peculiar. However, why not see what they can do in a training camp try out? What's the worst that can happen? They have to go back to playing in Japan? If it works, I think we will find a new way to win.

I know nothing about this league, but seeing as the XFL is dead in the water then it makes sense to leave no stone unturned. The NBA was revolutionized from overseas recruiting, sure it wouldn't hurt the NFL either.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I know nothing about this league, but seeing as the XFL is dead in the water then it makes sense to leave no stone unturned. The NBA was revolutionized from overseas recruiting, sure it wouldn't hurt the NFL either.

Exactly! And the NFL was at one point, as stated, revolutionized by bringing in foreign talent to kick. We benefitted from it. So, why wouldn't we benefit from this possiblity?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The absolute best part of these videos is listening to those announcers. Completely made my morning. Haven't laughed that hard in a while so thanks OP! I'll go back now and rewatch for evaluation purposes but with the volume muted. Hard to evaluate with tears rolling down your face. :lmao:

Absolutely FANTASTIC!

Well, i can understand that since they're speaking Japanese. But, I think you may like the talent.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Actually, if the OP specifically mentioned that they are Canadian just for the sake of making an argument that they should be looked at; then yes, I would have the same raised eyebrow. When people mention prospects outside of the NFL, it's usually in reference to the league they play in - not their ethnicity. Nothing emotional about it, unless you choose to interpret it that way because perhaps, you're emotional?

Sure, George. Sure.

All people had to do was read his first sentence to see that he was referring to people in a Japanese league and that would have settled it. Is that not "in reference to the league they play in," to use your very own words above? Same for Mongolia, Kenya, and Madagascar if they had national leagues. If that's too difficult for people, they could also consider the source if they're around here enough. Furboy has never come off as a race-baiting troll to be on guard for in the slightest. Quite the opposite actually. So all that's left after those considerations is the eye of the beholder. And that simply revealed the lens through which you saw this which was to jump way past the scouting aspect of this (on a football message board, no less) straight to a "this guy's trying to elevate others above our own" take. When someone reacts that way to a neutral stimulus there's something a little touchy within. We all have our things. This is one of yours.

TheHerd

Reaction score
As would I, and hey, this is the NFL. Gotta find the best talent where we can find it. Even if it's unconventional. Tom Landry did that when he brought in the Austrian football/soccer player Toni Fritsch who was an excellent player for Austria and became an excellent kicker for us. Effectively changed kicking in the NFL. I wonder if one of the kickers/punters I've found would do the same.
Absolutely. Started the influx of soccer players inot the game. I remember high schools in the 70s raiding the soccer teams for kickers after the success of folks like Fritsch and Stenerud, etc. Look wherever. It's kicking a ball. Not playing the fill have of football.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Sure, George. Sure.

All people had to do was read his first sentence to see that he was referring to people in a Japanese league and that would have settled it. Is that not "in reference to the league they play in," to use your very own words above? Same for Mongolia, Kenya, and Madagascar if they had national leagues. If that's too difficult for people, they could also consider the source if they're around here enough. Furboy has never come off as a race-baiting troll to be on guard for in the slightest. Quite the opposite actually. So all that's left after those considerations is the eye of the beholder. And that simply revealed the lens through which you saw this which was to jump way past the scouting aspect of this (on a football message board, no less) straight to a "this guy's trying to elevate others above our own" take. When someone reacts that way to a neutral stimulus there's something a little touchy within. We all have our things. This is yours.

I appreciate that. Also, there was a time on the old forum and I may resume this, but I used to look at rugby players and see who among them we could bring onto the Cowboys to camp. I would occasionally find 6'7" beheamoths that I felt could play tight end. It's all about seeing who can win games for the Cowboys.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Absolutely. Started the influx of soccer players inot the game. I remember high schools in the 70s raiding the soccer teams for kickers after the success of folks like Fritsch and Stenerud, etc. Look wherever. It's kicking a ball. Not playing the fill have of football.

Exactly! And that style of kicking became standard because it proved to be a better way to kick a football. Similarly, I think we could find a new way to kick or punt the ball from one of these players. And who knows? If they get good, maybe we can start looking into other positions from that league like WR?

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I appreciate that. Also, there was a time on the old forum and I may resume this, but I used to look at rugby players and see who among them we could bring onto the Cowboys to camp. I would occasionally find 6'7" beheamoths that I felt could play tight end. It's all about seeing who can win games for the Cowboys.

If you do post a thread about rugby players, careful how you phrase a thread title having to do with a player from the All Blacks.
:muttley: